2013 F1 Pre-season testing

Colinjb

By all account, Lewis' crash sounded like brake failure... encouraging start....

I'm off to Spanish GP this year, anyone else got plans? Should imagine me and Lighthouse will end up and either Silverstone or Spa again too

By all account, Lewis' crash sounded like brake failure... encouraging start....

I'm off to Spanish GP this year, anyone else got plans? Should imagine me and Lighthouse will end up and either Silverstone or Spa again too

are me and spudgun not allowed :(

Been to Spa 3 times. Grosjean ruined the f**king race on lap 1 twice but appart from that it was great. My advice:

- Don't bother with a grandstand ticket unless it's somewhere a bit special like the start/finish straight or on Eau Rouge.

- Get a bronze ticket. I normally go to the inside of Bruxelles (the hairpin after Les Combes) to get a really close up view of the cars for free practice. For qualy and race I sit on the outside of Pouhon, on the massive bank with about 10,000 other fans. There is a big screen opposite to keep track of what's going on.

- Queues for lunch on race day are terrible. If possible take a packed lunch.

- Stay at on of the campsites near the track. Trying to get away from the circuit after is a nightmare and can take hours. Even on the motorway the traffic is backed up.

- It gets cold at night in the Ardennes. Take lots of warm clothes if you are camping and don't be a big girls blouse like Baj.

- You will need waterproofs, a brolly and sun cream every day. Probably all within the same hour.

- Take ear plugs. When we went in 2010 JustMike was proper 'ard and thought he could go without. He couldn't, the cars are seriously loud, especially if you sit on the side of Kemmel straight (well worth a sit for one of the practice sessions just to experience the noise and power).

- If you happen to end up in the Elephant campsite like me and Baj last year, there is a pub in the village 5 minutes away which sells beer at 1 euro a bottle (think they were about half a pint). Packed with fans.

- Take your own food and BBQ for the evenings. There are no supermarkets open in the evenings at weekends and very little by way of restuaraunts. We ended up driving for an hour looking for somewhere to eat on Saturday.

Thanks for the info. The elephant campsite was the one I have come across which seems the best. Is there evening entertainment around the area? Have seen quite a few people mention fireworks + bands that perform?

What day do you arrive? We were thinking of going over on the Thursday or even the Wednesday and staying for a night somewhere on the way probably either Brugges or Brussels? And when do you leave? We might do the same thing on the way back but not sure what happens on the Sunday evening?

Sounds like a top weekend anyway, and very much looking forward to it if we do end up going.

There wasn't really any entertainment at that campsite other than the local pub. There were some fireworks in the distance, no idea which campsite.

We got there on Saturday morning having stayed somewhere near Brussels on Friday night. That was mainly due to us both working on Friday and not being able to get to the Eurotunnel until about 8pm.

Given choice I'd go out Thursday night and come back Monday morning. The traffic is better and you wont be in a rush before or after the races. You will be sat outside your tent with a beer and a BBQ whilst most other people are sat stationary on the roads.

The Elephant is about 30 minutes walk from the track. It's pretty much a field, has a bit of a slope and can be a bit muddy so if you or someone else has a 4x4 probably best to take that.

Cheers for the advice.

Have spoke to a few people I know and they have said either go to Les Combes, or maybe the Bus Stop chicane? Will bear it in mind.

I also came across this campsite which sounds pretty good...?

http://www.pillow.co.uk/motor-sport-tours/belgium-f1-gp-at-spa-francorchamps/belgium-f1-gp-accommodation-only/

Think we're going to book tickets quite soon....although just about to have my car service/mot/tax/breakdown cover so might have to be put on hold a bit...