Bee keeping

Barfy

Following on from the christmas spending thread, my mrs' dad has decided he wants to take up bee keeping, and the suggestion has been made that we should combine his birthday and christmas presents and get him a beehive.

I checked with beehives-r-us but they seemed to have sold out, so does anyone have any ideas where we can buy a beehive, plus accessories (whatever they maybe :smt102 )? Or even plans to build one?

Just a thought, you could catch a couple of bee's and when he is not looking on christmas day, pop them down his jumper/shirt. Once they have stung him, he will probably decide he doesnt wanna keep the nasty little things and will infact thank you for all the time/effort and money you have saved him!

That can be your christmas present to him and it wont cost much either! ;)

Just a thought, you could catch a couple of bee's and when he is not looking on christmas day, pop them down his jumper/shirt. Once they have stung him, he will probably decide he doesnt wanna keep the nasty little things and will infact thank you for all the time/effort and money you have saved him!

That can be your christmas present to him and it wont cost much either! ;)

Oh just bee hive yourself INS :D

Ant farms are better and easier to maintain.

Got one of these for xmas a few years ago...

discovery_ant_farm.jpg

Was pretty cool, but they just kind of dug down rather than a nice little intermingling maze of tunnels, and eventually died.

What was quite weird though was that when they died, the other ants stacked all the dead bodies in a corner all on top of each other! :confused:

Got one of these for xmas a few years ago...

discovery_ant_farm.jpg

Was pretty cool, but they just kind of dug down rather than a nice little intermingling maze of tunnels, and eventually died.

What was quite weird though was that when they died, the other ants stacked all the dead bodies in a corner all on top of each other! :confused:

I bought my grandson a wormery for his birthday last year. He wasn't allowed to do it - his mother didn't 'approve'.

(that's why I bought it :D)

Yeah that's what they do, you never seen ants carry dead ants back to their holes?

I have seen, possibly once or twice them carrying the dead, but once they go into their holes, didnt realise they stack them up?!

I bought my grandson a wormery for his birthday last year. He wasn't allowed to do it - his mother didn't 'approve'.

(that's why I bought it :D)

Why didnt she approve?

Nope, he knows the guy who rounded them up and managed to get the swarm back a few days later.

Result! Why did they go in the first place though? Have they gone again?