Digital Camera Advice

Suhari

Looking for a new camera. Mid sized i.e. bigger than a compact point and shoot, but not full slr.

Want a decent zoom, not worried about being able to change lenses.

Is a pressie for the wife; needs to be reasonably straightforward to use. Budget up to £350.

Any recommendations chaps?

This is a point and shoot so not to your spec but I love my Nikon Coolpix AW100. It isnt much to look at but does everything well - much more so than the more expensive Sony it replaced. 5x optical zoom, waterproof to 10m, will survive being dropped, full 1080HD video and has great quality pictures. Ive had bigger cameras in the past but found they just got left at home or in the car. Because this is small, rugged and light (and not so expensive you fear losing it) its been present at all the right moments.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/nikon-coolpix-aw100_Digital-Camera_review

• 2 weeks later...

I got a DSLR (Sony one) and wanted a point and shoot with decent zoom as I found that I wasn't using the DSLR as often as I should because it was too big. I got a Panny TZ40 because of the zoom. x20 which can be doubled up to x40. I know you said you didn't want a compact, but this might be up your street if zoom it the important factor.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digital-cameras/1299427/panasonic-lumix-dmc-tz40

I have to say that I can't see the point of mid sized cameras. There are fantastic compacts with huge zoom levels, incredible features and specs..... And they fit in your pocket!

If you want a camera that won't fit in your pocket, you might as well get a full DSLR, two lenses a bag and a spare battery

My canon is fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...
I have to say that I can't see the point of mid sized cameras. There are fantastic compacts with huge zoom levels, incredible features and specs..... And they fit in your pocket!

If you want a camera that won't fit in your pocket, you might as well get a full DSLR, two lenses a bag and a spare battery

My canon is fantastic.

A conclusion that I have just come too. Sent back the wifey's pressie and we're getting a Canon EOS 100D.