Second in the league but for dropped points

Crazy Diamond

I seem to remember last season we blew a lot of points having taken the lead. I wondered if that had changed much this season, so did some research...

Chelsea (A) 1 - 0, lost 3 - 1

Tottenham (H) 1 - 0, lost 3 - 2

Everton (A) 1 - 0, lost 2 - 1

Sunderland (A) 2 - 0, drew 2 - 2

Arsenal (H), 1 - 0, drew 2 - 2

Stoke (H) 1 - 0 and 2 - 1, drew 2 - 2

West Ham (A) 1 - 0, lost 3 - 1

Total of 18 points dropped out of a possible profit of 21. Enough for us to be joint top of the league!

Disappointing, but worth noting that we didn't throw away winning positions between August and December, 12 games. We won six of those 12, recovering two points from losing positions.

For me, we played very well whilst we had that spine of the team in good form up until the Chelsea game on December 1st. Boruc was keeping clean sheets (six), Fonte and Lovren were very strong at the back, Wanyama was doing very well in front of them.

Pointless thread really, but I just thought it was quite interesting.

I seem to remember last season we blew a lot of points having taken the lead. I wondered if that had changed much this season, so did some research...

Chelsea (A) 1 - 0, lost 3 - 1

Tottenham (H) 1 - 0, lost 3 - 2

Everton (A) 1 - 0, lost 2 - 1

Sunderland (A) 2 - 0, drew 2 - 2

Arsenal (H), 1 - 0, drew 2 - 2

Stoke (H) 1 - 0 and 2 - 1, drew 2 - 2

West Ham (A) 1 - 0, lost 3 - 1

Total of 18 points dropped out of a possible profit of 21. Enough for us to be joint top of the league!

Disappointing, but worth noting that we didn't throw away winning positions between August and December, 12 games. We won six of those 12, recovering two points from losing positions.

For me, we played very well whilst we had that spine of the team in good form up until the Chelsea game on December 1st. Boruc was keeping clean sheets (six), Fonte and Lovren were very strong at the back, Wanyama was doing very well in front of them.

Pointless thread really, but I just thought it was quite interesting.

We were 1 down at Everton - at most we dropped a point not three.

And for the analysis to be meaningful or useful, you would have to do exactly the same thing for every other team in the league. We're not the only ones to drop points.