Had a bit of a bump. Help?

Golden Balls

I had a bump a while ago. Hit the back of someone else. Was going less than 10mph but damaged his bumper which I offered to pay for plus expenses.

Sent a cheque after getting the quote etc and the guy has cashed that cheque. All done, move on....or so I thought.

Got a call from my insurance company and he's now claiming through my insurance. ****

Obviously a bit of a paper trail as I used a cheque but surely he wont have a leg to stand on as it's all been settled? Or am I going to end up paying out twice (it came to just under the amount of me excess) as well as losing my no claims?

I had a bump a while ago. Hit the back of someone else. Was going less than 10mph but damaged his bumper which I offered to pay for plus expenses.

Sent a cheque after getting the quote etc and the guy has cashed that cheque. All done, move on....or so I thought.

Got a call from my insurance company and he's now claiming through my insurance. ****

Obviously a bit of a paper trail as I used a cheque but surely he wont have a leg to stand on as it's all been settled? Or am I going to end up paying out twice (it came to just under the amount of me excess) as well as losing my no claims?

I think you have to inform your insurance company at about the time of the accident(reasonable delay, varies though) that you've had a bump but that no claim should arise from it because the matter has been settled otherwise. If you did that then you should have no problem, if you didn't I've no idea where you stand.

Edited by Window Cleaner

This may well be a case of the other driver (and his multiple passengers) putting in claim(s) for personal injury.

You'll need you're insurer on-side for this one - I just hope that by not notifying them of the accident, you haven't jeopardised or prejudiced their further involvement.

This may well be a case of the other driver (and his multiple passengers) putting in claim(s) for personal injury.

You'll need you're insurer on-side for this one - I just hope that by not notifying them of the accident, you haven't jeopardised or prejudiced their further involvement.

No passengers. He was in a large transit van and I was in a car doing around 6-7mph. There's no chance he's injured. It was a while ago now and he hasn't claimed any form of injury.

I sent a letter to my insurance 2 days after to inform them of the bump and that I have no intention to claim. Not heard anything back about that though.

The damage was to his rear bumper. I rang around and found the part and fitting costs. No other damage. Literally no damage to my car at all. Just a slight scrape mark on the number plate.