Liverpool v Saints starting lineup...

Unbelievable Jeff

Sorry to come back to this a day later, but what was seen at Swindon was a pre-season friendly and not enough to judge a player. Based on the Swindon game we have no strikers of Prem quality since they all failed to score, some given fairly easy chances. Matt Targett didn't get into the England u-19 by being a poor player and he will only become a premier standard player by plating premier league games. If Koeman and the coaches think he's up to it, and they work with him every day, that would be a more reliable basis of assessment than watching an hour of a friendly match from the stands.

That's fair enough - my assessment was merely based on what I saw the other night so take it or leave it as that! :)

Why are we dropping Artur? He kept us in several games and was absolutely immense for us last season (apart from the Arsenal game...).

Because you don't buy a new keeper unless he better than what you already have? That said there is not much in it so I think they will both get plenty of playing time. Boruc did keep us in the game many times last year but it would also be nice to jhave a keeper who is just as good a shot stopper but someone who can distribute more effectively.

In answer to Saint Charlie and Shurlock overall I was a little disappointed, although I've been to enough pre-season games and should know better. I thought the warm-up was a bit shambolic. After some brief structured stuff just seemed to be groups of players kicking to each other with Jan looking on. TBH I've seen under eleven sides do more ! It was epitomised by the subs playing keep up and the one to "drop" the ball having their ears flicked by all the others. I know it was a friendly etc. but start as you mean to go on.

Anyway if focus on the first 60 mins (read the same formation wise once all the subs made though) Cork and Reid "held" and JWP was pushed up the middle generally level with Isgrove and McQueen. Pelle was advanced and never strayed very wide, or dropped hardly at all. Probably JWP was the one feeding of him the most, although TBF he was feeding of himself more often ! On last night he was a Miroslav Klose type player, which his stats show. Was very good at holding off the Swindon defenders but he was about twice there size ! Isgrove and Mcqueen did cut in occasionally, more often though they got to the edge of the box and were looking to work it into Pelle or maybe JWP. Cork and Reid did push forward on occasion.

Overall, looked like if we could have stepped the pace up a bit we would have created more, Did not look as sharp as thought we might in the box. I appreciate its early days but some of these lads have a great chance to stake a claim so maybe could have shown more. Perhaps they were told not to exert to much, hard to know.

I should say though that apart from about five minutes at the end Swindon were not allowed to get near our box (although a couple of mis-comms between Gazziniga and Mccarthy (who was playing out of position at LB when replaced Targett) could have been worse. The Dm's (Cork and Reid then Stephens and Flanigan) plus defense snuffed them out very well.

Key difference will be when we have possibly eight different starters come the opening game and how they implement the system. Maybe the JWP/ Sharp role from last night is tailor made for Gaston ? Not sure if Pelle's limited movement will make him too easy to mark, but Klosse shows it can be productive :-)

Based on what I saw yesterday evening, Targett is no way up to PL quality. He will get eaten alive by Liverpool. So, with a different LB, Id be otherwise quite comfortable with that starting line up.

Yep judge every player on pre-season friendly performances. Also that Gareth Bale was S*ite for Spurs went he first joined!

*-New signings

4-3-3

------ *Forster

Clyne Fonte *Van Dijk *Rojo

------ Cork Morgan

Tadic Ramirez *Redmond

------ Pelle

Or

5-3-2

*Forster

Fonte *Van Dijk *Rojo

Chambers Clyne/Targett

Morgan Davis

Ramirez

Pelle Tadic/*Ings

Subs. Boruc, Yoshida, Targett, Wanyama, Reed, Mayuka, Gallagher

Make it happen Ronald!

Edited by Saint IQ

*-New signings

4-3-3

------ *Forster

------ Cork Morgan

Tadic Ramirez *Redmond

------ Pelle

Or

5-3-2

*Forster

Fonte *Van Dijk *Rojo

Chambers Clyne/Targett

Morgan Davis

Ramirez

Pelle Tadic/*Ings

Make it happen Ronald!

If only he could, however Morgan won't still be here and we don't have a dog's chance of signing Rojo.

*-New signings

4-3-3

------ *Forster

------ Cork Morgan

Tadic Ramirez *Redmond

------ Pelle

Or

5-3-2

*Forster

Fonte *Van Dijk *Rojo

Chambers Clyne/Targett

Morgan Davis

Ramirez

Pelle Tadic/*Ings

Make it happen Ronald!

In a pretty much perfect world, this I would be happy with,but.........I would be staggered if we field anything of this calibre this coming season.

Long way to go yet but I just want something a tad positive to happen,not a rumour or a tenuous link from a supposed ITK.....something concrete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk