Buying property in Spain

thesaint sfc

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at spending about 50k on a property in Spain in the Alicante area.

Interested to hear from other people who have done similar, pitfalls and so on.

I notice there's a lot of property in large complexes where its a bit of an industrial site - obviously will be avoiding that!

I'm quite up for buying something which is a little run down and needs some renovations.

From spending about 10 minutes having a look yesterday I could bag myself a 3 bedroom place for that.

Any websites you would recommend and things to watch out for?

Cheers

tss

I have a mate who inherited an apartment in Spain, I remember him telling me that when dealing with the locals, utility companies, tradesmen, local officials etc, you need to be able to speak & understand the lingo. Whilst many can speak English, and will happily speak to tourists in English they will make no effort to speak to foreign property owners in anything other than Spanish. He has just sat & passed his A-level in Spanish.

So if you don't speek-a-da-lingo, it's well worth learning.

We own two flats in Spain, just bought bigger flat above us, had no issues whatsoever with lawyers, officials etc in fact easier than here.

If you ned somewhere to stay for a few days/weeks let me know - close to both Alicante and Murcia.

My M+D live just outside Denia, about an hour north of Alicante. Lovely place. Lovely locals.

If you are planning on buying property in Spain, now is the time to do it. The market is beginning to rise for the first time in nearly a decade.