Koemans Tactics

washsaint

If Koeman plays the static Yoshida at right back it just adds to the neutering effect of two holding midfielders and usually another one playing behind the striker. IMO if he plays Yoshida he has to balance that with Mane wide right and Tadic left, with a proper forward behind Pelle, one of Rodriguez, Long or Juanmi who looks a good finisher.

He could also play Soares in front of Yoshida. I'm not in favour of that as I'd really prefer Soares at right back. Surely with a back four including Soares and Bertrand with two defensive midfielders we can play four forwards. JWP and Davis just don't provide or score goals. JWP just looks like a holding midfielder full stop. With Clasie coming back it would be surprising to me if JWP and Davis didn't drop down the pecking order. I just wonder how he is going to accommodate Clasie without leaving out Romeu or playing a negative 4-3-3 with only three forwards.

I thought JWP worked well on the right on Sunday. Look at his cross for our first goal. If he had a good, over-lappng right back with pace playing with him, I could see that working quite well.

I thought JWP worked well on the right on Sunday. Look at his cross for our first goal. If he had a good, over-lappng right back with pace playing with him, I could see that working quite well.

I think his best spell under Pochettino was when he was playing on the right of the attacking three.

If Yoshida is considered a better right back for certain games, then Soares is currently limited.

I guess it depends on which skills he was after, as Yoshida was an understandable choice for RB on merit for certain skill sets he prioritised for that match. Koeman's next "I need defensive skills more than attacking ones at right back" thought process is definitely going to include "not gifting goals directly to strikers", however, which might change the decision.

I guess it depends on which skills he was after, as Yoshida was an understandable choice for RB on merit for certain skill sets he prioritised for that match. Koeman's next "I need defensive skills more than attacking ones at right back" thought process is definitely going to include "not gifting goals directly to strikers", however, which might change the decision.

how come that was never really an issue for Clyne/Chambers?

If Koeman plays the static Yoshida at right back it just adds to the neutering effect of two holding midfielders and usually another one playing behind the striker. IMO if he plays Yoshida he has to balance that with Mane wide right and Tadic left, with a proper forward behind Pelle, one of Rodriguez, Long or Juanmi who looks a good finisher.

Again, this ignores that JWP bombing down the right set up the first goal. Now this is a sample of one*, but it does show that your suggestion isn't the only way we can get crosses in from the right - if that's even what the team wants to do.

*pointless disclaimer because some people seem to think everything that is offered as an illustrative example has to be statistically significant...

how come that was never really an issue for Clyne/Chambers?

Because when Pochettino wanted more attacking skill he picked Clyne and when he wanted the defensive skill he picked Chambers. i.e. it was the exact same situation of balancing the attacking/defensive need just with two different players.

Great example, couldn't have picked a better one. :D

If you're asking "why wasn't playing a crappy backpass an issue for them...", well, that would be why Yoshida isn't first choice for anything.

He could also play Soares in front of Yoshida. I'm not in favour of that as I'd really prefer Soares at right back. Surely with a back four including Soares and Bertrand with two defensive midfielders we can play four forwards. JWP and Davis just don't provide or score goals. JWP just looks like a holding midfielder full stop. With Clasie coming back it would be surprising to me if JWP and Davis didn't drop down the pecking order. I just wonder how he is going to accommodate Clasie without leaving out Romeu or playing a negative 4-3-3 with only three forwards.

Clasie is like the elephant and the blind men, everyone's emphasising a different aspect of his game in the hope we're a more balanced side overall. For some, he's the creative link behind the front three; for others, he's a holding player alongside Wanyama or Romeu. In my view, we'll still be having this conversation at the end of the season.

Completely agree about Clasie. People are trying to make him out to be something he isn't in the hope he'll balance the team out. He's been a holding midfielder his whole career, not a number 10, and I fear we're going to have a midfield 3 of Clasie, Wanyama and Romeu when fit, which he will dress up as being 1 holding and 2 more box to box, but will actually in practice be 3 holding midfielders. If so there is a good chance we will become the dullest team in the league to watch, but a very solid one that will undoubtedly nick a few games 1 nil to see us finish mid-table.