Saints 2 Leicester 2 Match Reaction

Mr X

Costs shouldnt be a factor, wouldnt break the bank to have a better backup keeper as your no2. Would be amazed if we made decisions because someone was cheap, given its costs points (which cost money) every year we have had Davis and Gazza as backup.

Third and fourth choice? Obviously second and third in reality. As they were last season.

Don't see why a game against Leicester last season makes any difference.

You wouldn't drop Mane if we play Sheff Utd in the FA Cup because he didnt play well against them before.

The coaches still don't think he is first team ready, which is a concern when the competition is a 39 year old Davis and Gazza is nearly 24!

Cost is clearly a factor with sustainability and FFP. We don't have an unlimited pot and we're signing someone by definition not as good as Stek/Forster but better than Kelvin on the off chance that the first choice keeper is unavailable for a significant time. We're not Chelsea or Man City and paying Prem first choice keeper wages for someone who doesn't play has to be weighed against the cost of points lost in that situation. Last year with our solid back 6 outfielders I don't think the keeper was THAT important, this year when we're allowing more efforts on target it's a different situation - we'll see whether we sign Stekelenburg permanently, which I think is a possibility in January or next summer, which would give us 2 decent keepers, which might be viable if we can get the wages sorted before the new TV deal money kicks in.

Third and fourth with everyone fit though, see above.

Because that's the closest parallel we have to potential performance this season, and Gazza's dodgy kick was partially to blame last season - psychologically both Leicester and he will know that. As for the Mane example, you have to ask if we pulled Rodriguez from the Man City game at the end of last season for similar reasons (allied to not wanting to risk him when he'd have another 3 months to be spot on).

24 is no age for a keeper, and they gave him game time at the end of last season when we were pushing for 5th - so they clearly thought he was up to it. I haven't been watching him this season so I don't know if his confidence is low again at the moment, that wouldn't be a concern for a more experienced keeper.

Of course it wasn't but people need a scapegoat and Kelvin is the easy target. They're was a whole load of under par performances across the team which Kelvin's kicking wasn't helping but certainly having Kelvin in goal wasn't the only reason we let a two goal lead slide.

My remark was tongue in cheek and I agree that the reason we drew was down to the general performance rather than the goalkeeper. If we had been two down at half time and grabbed an equalizer in injury time I wonder if the mood would have been a tad different on here?

second half a joke. Wrong time to bring Clasie on!!!!!!!!!! he looked unfit, out of touch. against a vibrant leicester side.

Losing Davis and Cedric was debilitating. we looked a different side with no balance.

Bertrand had a mare. the first goal is his fault i say. If you watch from when our keeper has the ball, Bertrand is honestly half way up the pitch. Van Dijk gets left to try a pass when he is overloaded on the right.

simple fact, if bertrand want caught up the pitch, we dont give the ball away, and van dijk isnt left trying to stop Mahrez at the edge of the penalty box instead of being in the 6 yard area clearing the ball.

On the plus side,first half we looked good. really good.