Saints 2 Leicester 2 Match Reaction

Mr X

Was only watching a stream and missed the last 10 minutes but it seemed to me like we lost something when Clasie came on for Davis, anyone else feel the same?

Clasie looked WAAAAAAAY off the pace.

seems bizarre to bring him on when we were well under the cosh

it didnt pay off

VvD was easily offside for our 2nd.

Looks like we got lucky (and a point) from poor officiating today

Difficult to tell really isn't it, the world would have taken a different course. If we went in 1-0 there's every possibility we would have kept going. Or as the game would have taken a different course (free kick in their box rather than kicking off) it's even possible we could have gone in 3-0.

It's ridiculous to say that we would have lost 2-1 today were it not for dodgy decisions.

RK Reacton

you expect to win when 2-0 at HT

they have a high intensity

we scored two good goals

we made stupid mistakes

their pressing made is very difficult

we tried to play when we could have played long

we did not have a good defensive organisation

I expected their 2nd goal after they scored their 1st.

they appeared a lot more fresh

a lot of credit to them

they have a great mentality and belief

we have to be happy with a point at the final whistle

sadio could have killed the game and made it 3-0

stek not fully fit, he should be fit for the next game just have to wait

I have absolutely no faith in Clasie (Karsi??) ever going to make it in the Premier League. I hope I'm wrong but just can't see it. He's an injury waiting to occur and can't see him changing.

Koeman really screwed up on his substitutions and lost us the points. Even Caulker coming on instead of Jrod would have made our chances of holding on, and perhaps even scoring a third goal a better option.

Can't help seeing Jrod as ending up like Matt Oakley. Has not seemed anywhere near his former self in the same way Oakley never fully recovered a similar injury. I really feel for the guy as no one has worked harder in an attempt to regain full fitness.

MOTM - Van Dijk. Very strong, total control and great touches - and a threat going forward!

Dissapointments - Classie, not in the same league at the moment, hopefully he'll adjust. Kelvin - noticeable well adrift of Prem standard.

We were worse after the double subs. Surprised Romeo wasn't used considering we knew Leicester would come at us.

Congrats to SNSUN for getting his post written up in the i newspaper today.

Really? One of my few good posts or one of my many guff posts? :-)

My second thought is that we might be worryingly short on the fitness front - we couldn't track their runners, we couldn't match their off-ball movement, and we spent most of the second half chasing shadows and losing ground to them. Sure, there were some individual errors but that wasn't the reason we ended up being lucky to get a point.

We won't come up against a Leicester every week, but I think that we might need to improve our fitness levels if we're to reach this team's undoubted potential.

Whilst I am unable to comment on today's game as I didn't see it, I have been banging the 'not fit enough' drum for a while now, so am disappointed that there is more evidence of it. It just strikes me as odd that the benefits of fitness are so plain, and any team can get fit (not to mention we were at a high level), so why would you allow it not to happen?

Just looked at the table...if we'd held onto the 2-0 win we'd be in 5th right now.

Probably for the best we didn't win, just to save delusions of CL football like we had last season. Let's leave that to West Ham fans.

A draw is still a decent result, we've had a lot of players away on international duty and Leicester are a very good side who will comfortably finish above us this season.

A bit of a mixed bag of performances so far, but we are doing ok. Most expected mid-table and that's where we will be, accept we won't match last season's phenomenal efforts.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

As the old saying goes , you need to match their work rate first.

Our midfield was completely non existent, wanyama should of gone off at half time. JWP not long after as he was a complete passenger,there was a period where he attempted 3 tackles and lost all of them and spent the rest of the game chasing shadows and passing to a blue shirt.

I won't judge Clasie on that as that's really not right and boy do I never want to see Kelvin play again.

If I had to guess I would say the fading away in the second half had to be connected to international duty.

Individual errors, sloppiness, tiredness, we were Team Jetlag.

Mane played like he'd just walked back from Algeria with a fridge on his back.

When the summer meltdown returns and everyone wants our players, let's just dig out the video of Leicester at home and see how keen they are then.

Agree with Northam Soul. Can't blame RK for the Davis/Clasie substitution as it seemed an obvious move. 2-0 up probably felt safe, Davis perhaps weary after the internationals and giving Clasie just 30 minutes to ease him into the Premier League. But as Leicester upped the tempo, Saints failed to respond and lost out heavily on possession. The more questionable substitution was Tadic/JRod as we needed more in midfield, not in attack. For me, I'd have much preferred to see Romeu coming on. We would still have had Mane and Pelle to provide an up-front threat.

Surely that will be Kelvin's last game for the first XI. Can't believe that Gazza would not have done better and if not, why is he still on the pay-roll? Shame for as great club servant like KD to go out with a whimper but had Stek been playing, I'm confident we would not have let in two goals.

I wouldn't say obvious move when we was under the cosh it wasn't 2-0 and cruising, they were at that point already hitting us hard and had us pinned backed, wasn't the right time to try an unproven/not match fit/come back from injury/not really a get stuck in type player to come on. Should have been Romeu to come on all day long.

What was the free-kick we tried in the first half about? Tadic, Ward-Prowse and someone else making a complete pig's ear of it?

It reminded me of the Wise-and Quashie-comedy-corner-capers of The Bad Old Days.

Steven Davis was at fault (assuming it was rehearsed). He 'passed' the ball back to JWP at head height. I have no idea where it going anyway.

Clasie looked WAAAAAAAY off the pace.

seems bizarre to bring him on when we were well under the cosh

it didnt pay off

I guess the only good thing about that is Clasie won't get a better taste of the pace, intensity than he did yesterday, good exposure to what will be expected.

As long as we're not relegated, anything above that is a bonus for me. After going out so early in he Europa league, I thought that right, this is a season of rebuilding. Huge changes to the side, Forster out for the whole season, Schneiderlin replacement ready to play only just now...

I mean 8th in the league, positive goal difference, it's honestly a lot better than I was expecting. Sides like Liverpool and Everton didn't lose any of their keyplayers and they're about on par with us right now. Mané looked like crap last year at this point and now people are talking of him going to Man United at the end of the season. Clasie needs to be given time, we're not like City who can just throw money in every general direction and see which player sticks and which doesn't.

And more than anything I would love it if the onus would be on some other team this year, West Ham or someone else. Let someone raid them for once in a while and let us keep our players so that we can at least start the next season with a relatively established side.

Felt like a defeat.

Double substitutions should only be done when winning at a canter or emergency panic mode to pull back the game from a losing situation. We lost our shape and needed more bite in midfield with Vic not able to get stuck in due to his yellow. Romeu would have been a better option.

The internationals obviously took their toll, Bertrand was way off the pace and Mane and Pelle didn't get any service or got into any positions to get the ball.

As long as we're not relegated, anything above that is a bonus for me. After going out so early in he Europa league, I thought that right, this is a season of rebuilding. Huge changes to the side, Forster out for the whole season, Schneiderlin replacement ready to play only just now...

I mean 8th in the league, positive goal difference, it's honestly a lot better than I was expecting. Sides like Liverpool and Everton didn't lose any of their keyplayers and they're about on par with us right now. Mané looked like crap last year at this point and now people are talking of him going to Man United at the end of the season. Clasie needs to be given time, we're not like City who can just throw money in every general direction and see which player sticks and which doesn't.

And more than anything I would love it if the onus would be on some other team this year, West Ham or someone else. Let someone raid them for once in a while and let us keep our players so that we can at least start the next season with a relatively established side.

A positive and sensible post for a sunday morning. Thank you.

What a complete load of garbage.

Biggest mistake was not subbing wanyama. He was on a final warning and couldn't go in for any 50/50 for the 2nd half for fear of getting sent off . We therefore lost our control in midfield. Should have been Romeu for wanyama all day long.

Clasie should never have been brought in given the game situation.

As much as I love kelvin he needs to hang up his boots. The panic in defence was obvious as he continually failed to claim balls in the 6 yard box. Inability to kick the ball which is simply not good enough at this level.

Leicester deserved at least a point but if ste had been in the sticks I think we'd have probably hung in to 3 pts.

Wrong decisions by RK. Still.. He got it right v Chelsea and will get it right again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was the free-kick we tried in the first half about? Tadic, Ward-Prowse and someone else making a complete pig's ear of it?

It reminded me of the Wise-and Quashie-comedy-corner-capers of The Bad Old Days.

Mane ran down the line, ward-prowse laid it off to davis who i assume was supposed to pass it to Mane but instead blasted it at prowseys head.

Steven Davis was at fault (assuming it was rehearsed). He 'passed' the ball back to JWP at head height. I have no idea where it going anyway.

The Ref was standing in the way of the return ball from Davis to Prowse. Not the Ref's fault, he was in his usual position for such a kick, but perhaps the person who devised that set piece forgot to get them to practice with a ref on the pitch!

Probably for the best we didn't win, just to save delusions of CL football like we had last season. Let's leave that to West Ham fans.

A draw is still a decent result, we've had a lot of players away on international duty and Leicester are a very good side who will comfortably finish above us this season.

A bit of a mixed bag of performances so far, but we are doing ok. Most expected mid-table and that's where we will be, accept we won't match last season's phenomenal efforts.

Leicestet had 10 players on intrrnational duty. They were also awful. It took them a long time to get back in the game after we started helping them. Fortunately for us their finishing was woeful.

The Ref was standing in the way of the return ball from Davis to Prowse. Not the Ref's fault, he was in his usual position for such a kick, but perhaps the person who devised that set piece forgot to get them to practice with a ref on the pitch!

Good point, but maybe footballers are too inflexible to realise that he was there and adapt to the situation.

Top trolling. Good effort. How is the d5803?

Agree with Northam Soul. Can't blame RK for the Davis/Clasie substitution as it seemed an obvious move. 2-0 up probably felt safe

Did you watch the game?

i ask because Leicester clearly started the second half as the stronger team and bossed more and more as the half wore on. Whilst we were still two nil up when the first subs were made, I can't really believe that people would have thought the win was safe.

There probably were subs more suited to the passage of okay that could have been made.

we needed to cope better with Leicester's pressing and find a way to retain possession of the ball a bit more.

how they found the ability to run at and sort of through us on occasions is beyond me

I didn't feel we ever had control over that game tbh, even 2-0 in the first half was a tad flattering. The issue Leicester had was a lack of attacking threat in the first half, they were too isolated up front, but they changed that with their 2 subs in the 2nd half and that exploited our failings and changed the game. Ryan didn't look on his game at all, and Wanyama offered no protection for the majority of that game, he didn't play well at all.

In essence, a draw is a good result as we could have so easily lost that game. They had the much better chances but thankfully didn't start with their attacking wide men as it could have been a different outcome if that was the case.

Not entirely sure why we were so slow and lackadaisical, we just weren't on it at all to be honest. Oh well, let's do Liverpool next week.

Van Dijk and Fonte were both **** poor defensively.

Both did absolutely fine. The problem was that we completely lost the midfield and gave the ball back to Leicester at every opportunity, which meant that both VVD and Fonte came under more pressure in 45 minutes than many CBs do in 2 matches.

If anything, the fact that we were run so completely ragged and conceded 2 goals *in spite* of the CBs generally doing OK is a testament to how bad fhd midfield actually was.

Poor allround but both goals, if you go back 30 seconds, come from awful kicks from Davis and from the first minute he made the defence nervous and basically couldn't kick the ball beyond the halfway line all game.

With Stekelenburg in goal we would win that game.

Still utterly amazes me that in four years we havent sorted the 2nd keeper issue and have probably the worst backup in the whole league.

If Gazzaniga isn't a better keeper than a 39 yo Davis then he shouldn't have been given a new contract.

Cruel to watch a great servant being asked to play at a level he doesn't have within him but its been a weak area for ages.

This. That was evidence that he's well and truly past it. We played poorly but still would have beaten them (they were direct and hard working but poor at the back) if we had a goalkeeper who could kick the ball to the right part of the pitch. That second kick was a kick out of hands FFS. No excuse at all for duffing it straight to their midfielder. Annoyingly, we had actually started to look fairly comfortable at that point.

I can't believe Gazzaniga would do worse.

Hopefully Stek is back next week

Kelv wasn't good but I'm not convinced we would have won with Stek. This isn't the first time this season we have inexplicably completely lost the midfield which is a major concern. Yes poor subs, but isn't the issue that our squad has the same issues as last year - subs nowhere near as good as 1st team players. Hoping that playing the likes of Claise and JRod is short term pain for long term gain, but lack of options at rb and gk already a big concern, and I'm not confident we have much back up to Pelle , Bertrand or mane either. When everyone is fit we are a match for anyone but the squad remains worryingly thin.

This. That was evidence that he's well and truly past it. We played poorly but still would have beaten them (they were direct and hard working but poor at the back) if we had a goalkeeper who could kick the ball to the right part of the pitch. That second kick was a kick out of hands FFS. No excuse at all for duffing it straight to their midfielder. Annoyingly, we had actually started to look fairly comfortable at that point.

Not arguing that Kelvin's kicking was anything but **** but don't you think the total lack of effort to win the ball in midfield was more at fault?

Honestly don't think having Stek in goal would have changed the outcome yesterday considering how powder puff our midfield was second half.

Great post, my sentiments exactly.

When you are 2 - 0 up you continue attacking.Don't think we did that.Just think,a win would have in fifth this morning!

And if we had won every game we would be top of the table! Fact is that we are going to draw games and we are going to lose games just as we have done forever. The world hasn't ended and no one died (well Howard Kendall did but you get my drift). Leicester are a decent side. We are a decent side. We didn't play that well yesterday but that is football. We will play better and lose.

There is a reason that Davis gets the nod before Gazzaniga and that is because he could do worse.