Saints 2 Leicester 2 Match Reaction

Mr X

Davis isnt capable of kicking to those instructions, but good ideas.

From reading some of the comments here it would seem Mane missed an open goal. It was nowhere near as clear cut as many think, they defended the situation fairly well I think and crowded him out. The ahot would have been from 25 yards at least so he needed to regain balance.

Schmeichel did well by coming out as quickly as he did.

I think you're right about the 'open goal', it was a fair way out, but I thought he could have tried lifting it over Scmichael. I was more annoyed by his ridiculous attempt to score from 50 yards when he was behind their defence and a lot faster.

Thankfully Leicester's finishing was as bad as ours otherwise they would have won the match. Up to 8th ahead of Everton!

Actually the table looked much better than I was expecting we've gone up a spot only 3pts off 5th above Everton, Liverpool and Chelsea and only a point behind Spurs not terrible at all considering our up and down form so far this season.

I think you're right about the 'open goal', it was a fair way out, but I thought he could have tried lifting it over Scmichael. I was more annoyed by his ridiculous attempt to score from 50 yards when he was behind their defence and a lot faster.

True should have kept going but if that had gone in....

Leics are a battling side so I'm surprised romeu didn't play. The loss of davis instantly brought leics into the game.

- our defensive ability through midfield is really poor, vic can't pass to save his life and had one of his slow games today.

- we have no options if pelle isn't firing

- mane was frustrating today

- we still don't have strength in depth

- we don't seem to play for each other, particularly the front line

- far too casual at times

Liverpool will ruin us next week if we play like that

Ladies and Gentlemen. The Award for the "worst performance by a team winning comfortably 2-0 at half time" goes to [drum roll] Southampton FC.

That was absolutely shambolic, though not the first time we have been down this road. Whether Davis was subbed because he was carrying a knock or to allow Clasie to come on, the way we played from that point on was absolutely disgraceful (though no blame on Clasie).

And as for the shocking performance between the sticks, well I hope I never see dear old Kelvin in a Saints shirt again. If he was a horse... If Gazza is not better than that shocking display then what is the point of keeping him either. At least he can kick.

Still, I expect everyone will say how well Leicester battled back to get a point. Absolute ********. They were awful, but eventually the number of chances we gave them any team however bad would take a couple.

And I haven't even mentioned Sadio Mane, what the hell was he doing today?

Very good first half by the way. Thats what makes this sort of performance so unacceptable.

Credit where credit is due, Leicester were fantastic second half. Great football, great work rate, great ability, great to watch. Vardy is dynamite, first time seeing him up close properly and he just never stops running, great couple of goals and should have had a hat trick. Be interesting to see if any of the so called bigger clubs take a chance on him.

Having said that, after first dodgy 15-20mins we probably deserved to be up at half time although 2-0 was pushing it. There was nothing wrong with that formation for the first half. Leicester's strength is in attack, but they can be got at and every corner/cross was a threat. Some of our crossing was great in that first half and we should have been on the end of more.

Second half, however, WTF? Vardy will take the plaudits but if you can't deal with him, cut off the source. The amount of space they had in midfield was criminal. Wanyama was completely ineffective after the booking but actually did well to stay on the pitch. Like other's, thought the obvious sub was Romeu for Wanyama/Davies but wasn't surprised to see Clasie on - the boy needs time on the pitch to get up to speed in the Prem but not sure this was the game to do it. Yoshi for Soares, unless Soares was injured, was just criminal. I have no problem with Yoshi at CB- but he is not a RB and just causes teams to come onto us and Leicester need no invitation for that. We couldn't keep the ball for more than 3 passes in that second half and I'm just putting that down to the players away on International break as they all looked tired second half and most of them played at least 90mins, some 180mins, and have been back for 2 days.

But give Leicester some credit, they fully deserved the draw and probably more.

On to Liverpool.

Coupled with Mane's worst performance for a while, Tadic disappearing in the second half, and Pelle not holding onto the ball as well as he had done, collectively that second half was a shambles. I could start on Kelvin, but it is what it is. He's done his best, he's nowhere near good enough and it sent panic throughout the whole back four but if Stek is fit, he wouldn't be playing so its just one of those things. Having got to 2-0, we should have had enough to see it through.

Credit where credit is due, Leicester were fantastic second half. Great football, great work rate, great ability, great to watch. Vardy is dynamite, first time seeing him up close properly and he just never stops running, great couple of goals and should have had a hat trick. Be interesting to see if any of the so called bigger clubs take a chance on him.

Having said that, after first dodgy 15-20mins we probably deserved to be up at half time although 2-0 was pushing it. There was nothing wrong with that formation for the first half. Leicester's strength is in attack, but they can be got at and every corner/cross was a threat. Some of our crossing was great in that first half and we should have been on the end of more.

Second half, however, WTF? Vardy will take the plaudits but if you can't deal with him, cut off the source. The amount of space they had in midfield was criminal. Wanyama was completely ineffective after the booking but actually did well to stay on the pitch. Like other's, thought the obvious sub was Romeu for Wanyama/Davies but wasn't surprised to see Clasie on - the boy needs time on the pitch to get up to speed in the Prem but not sure this was the game to do it. Yoshi for Soares, unless Soares was injured, was just criminal. I have no problem with Yoshi at CB- but he is not a RB and just causes teams to come onto us and Leicester need no invitation for that. We couldn't keep the ball for more than 3 passes in that second half and I'm just putting that down to the players away on International break as they all looked tired second half and most of them played at least 90mins, some 180mins, and have been back for 2 days.

But give Leicester some credit, they fully deserved the draw and probably more.

On to Liverpool.

Coupled with Mane's worst performance for a while, Tadic disappearing in the second half, and Pelle not holding onto the ball as well as he had done, collectively that second half was a shambles. I could start on Kelvin, but it is what it is. He's done his best, he's nowhere near good enough and it sent panic throughout the whole back four but if Stek is fit, he wouldn't be playing so its just one of those things. Having got to 2-0, we should have had enough to see it through.

I thought mane was still are best player today, ok a lot off it didnt come off but he def put in a decent shift

MOTM - Van Dijk. Very strong, total control and great touches - and a threat going forward!

Dissapointments - Classie, not in the same league at the moment, hopefully he'll adjust. Kelvin - noticeable well adrift of Prem standard.

We were worse after the double subs. Surprised Romeo wasn't used considering we knew Leicester would come at us.

Congrats to SNSUN for getting his post written up in the i newspaper today.

A very physical game and ......can't recall a game with so many injury stoppages, and wonder how our injury list will look on Monday?

....as Wanyama, Fonte, Stephen Davis and Cedric all needed prolonged attention and never looked as though they recovered.

.....but most of all.....why did KD play ?....was Stekelenburg injured ..or what? With Vardy in that form, it wasn't the time to experiment.

It may have made sense to bring the brave Cedric off, and Steve Davis was waning a bit, but after their departures we lost it in midfield and missed Cedric's attacking flair.

As for the subs..... Yoshida did little wrong, but did little else. Clasie will need time as he never got in the game, and Jay Rod hardly had a touch.

Very disappointing after the good first half display.

Ladies and Gentlemen. The Award for the "worst performance by a team winning comfortably 2-0 at half time" goes to [drum roll] Southampton FC.

That was absolutely shambolic, though not the first time we have been down this road. Whether Davis was subbed because he was carrying a knock or to allow Clasie to come on, the way we played from that point on was absolutely disgraceful (though no blame on Clasie).

And as for the shocking performance between the sticks, well I hope I never see dear old Kelvin in a Saints shirt again. If he was a horse... If Gazza is not better than that shocking display then what is the point of keeping him either. At least he can kick.

Still, I expect everyone will say how well Leicester battled back to get a point. Absolute ********. They were awful, but eventually the number of chances we gave them any team however bad would take a couple.

And I haven't even mentioned Sadio Mane, what the hell was he doing today?

Very good first half by the way. Thats what makes this sort of performance so unacceptable.

No they really weren't awful they have speed and aggression in abundance second half today. Not sure they will keep up they're current form though their defence is as leaky as a broken sieve which is being covered up by Vardy's goal scoring exploits at the moment what happens when his purple patch comes to end is anyone's guess.

A very physical game and ......can't recall a game with so many injury stoppages, and wonder how our injury list will look on Monday?

....as Wanyama, Fonte, Stephen Davis and Cedric all needed prolonged attention and never looked as though they recovered.

.....but most of all.....why did KD play ?....was Stekelenburg injured ..or what? With Vardy in that form, it wasn't the time to experiment.

It may have made sense to bring the brave Cedric off, and Steve Davis was waning a bit, but after their departures we lost it in midfield and missed Cedric's attacking flair.

As for the subs..... Yoshida did little wrong, but did little else. Clasie will need time as he never got in the game, and Jay Rod hardly had a touch.

Yes

Stek hurt his back in training yesterday. Hope it's not serious or were f**cked on the basis of KD today.

But we should have still won, but for bad subs.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I thought mane was still are best player today, ok a lot off it didnt come off but he def put in a decent shift

Fair enough - not doubting his work rate and showed flashes, but he's a hell of a lot better than he showed today. To be fair, he didn't get a lot of the ball due to our woeful midfield - just hold him to high standards now and he was well off it in my view. And what the hell was that chip all about?

Though VvD was our best player - not sure why he was one on one against Dyer out on the right for the 1st goal though, need to see it back. Didn't do enough to stop the cross, but then Tadic had let Dyer go before that.

Fair enough - not doubting his work rate and showed flashes, but he's a hell of a lot better than he showed today. To be fair, he didn't get a lot of the ball due to our woeful midfield - just hold him to high standards now and he was well off it in my view. And what the hell was that chip all about?

Though VvD was our best player - not sure why he was one on one against Dyer out on the right for the 1st goal though, need to see it back. Didn't do enough to stop the cross, but then Tadic had let Dyer go before that.

yep

Also thought Cedric looked good game, going forward and defending, today. I was surprised he was taken off...unless his head injury was giving him problems.

Oh and I'm glad the fans singing the "you're sh*t" song for long periods of the first half got it sung back at them at 2-2. Really should stop sing that, it's sh*t.

And I also thought the cheering every time we passed was overly cocky considering it was only 2-0.

Don't agree. It was in midfield that we lost control after Davis went off.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Exactly my take on it. Our midfield couldn't hold on to the ball for more than a minute, kept on losing it putting our defence under the cosh.

Good to see Koeman still doesn't rate our new right back for solid defensive duties.

I now realise how important Davis is. As for Clasie, I'm sorry for him being pitched into that battle, the game just passed him by, he had a job to get a kick, he's probably only had practice matches, he was over-run, a classic substitution that made things worse not better

Probably Man Utd home game this season. They absolutely bossed us for at least 30mins of the second half.

We were struggling to play out well from the back and when Davis went long it wasn't reaching past halfway, or at a height/trajectory that gave Pelle a chance so it kept coming back.

Wanyama couldnt make another foul, Clasie was off the pace, JWP we know is useless at ball-winning (how did he stay on for the full 90?!) and Leicester built up a lot of momentum.

Yeah, guess the Man Utd game is comparable, but even that wasn't a par on today in my opinion.

I thought the back 4 did well today, wasn't given enough protection when needed, we did seem tired and off the pace.

Failed totally to match their intensity second half. They were out on the pitch early and up for it. We weren't. On the substitutions, I can understand JRod. Leicester were taking a risk by playing a very high line and they dont seem to have much pace at the back. A ball over or through them might have worked. Trouble was we couldn't get hold of the ball in midfield and the Davis/Clasie sub made it worse. When you're forced to play back to the keeper and have to rely on KD's distribution the ball's only ever going to come back again. Impressed with Leicester second half.

"Move along sonny".

Consider myself having been properly told there by a keyboard warrior. Comedy genius.

He's right though. He didn't say he was glad we lost, he said we deserved to get a thoroughly embarrassing chant sung back at us. I happen to agree, that "you're sh*t" stuff ought to be beneath us.

Given a two goal start we shouldn't have lost that. Leicester might have pressed us pressured our midfield but we contributed royally to our loss. Leicester pushed up and compressed us in the middle. What did we do, spent the whole game dropping the ball in short and being outmuscled and losing the ball almost immediately. Van Dyjk's sloppy pass leading to the first goal was just one of many. Huth and Morgan are pedestrian bruisers, Davis spent most of the game hitting his goal kicks at them. Pelle as he did against Swansea should have pulled off towards the touchlines and Davis should have tried to put the ball beyond him. We have to change the way we play to counter the likes of Leicester. Time and time again we played short and sloppy and ran up against a brick wall.

I don't like it but for this team the way we played should have been to turn them and put the ball into the space behind their full backs not play short but force them to run back. Our defenders should have gone route one instead we played into their hands. Kelvin Davis was like a rabbit in the headlights looking to play short for him is a nonsense and invariably caused us problems. He should have been looking to miss out Morgan and Huth not drop it into Pelle in the centre of the field. A self inflicted result. It's all very well being a great guy but it's a goalkeeper we need. He hasn't been good enough for years.

Did you watch the game? I'm not sure KD reached the halfway line with any kick in the game? Your's might be a good Plan B but I spot a massive flaw ... KD should've kicked beyond their CB's ... I'm sure he'd have loved to!

No doubt that Leicester fully deserved the draw. We looked tired in the second half and why we didn't bring on Romeu to shore up the midfield instead of Clasie I don't know.

I do wonder however that if Vardy were injured things might be a little different. Not saying they are a one man team but his presence does seem to inspire others.

PPS JayRod looks awful - he should go out on loan and get some serious game time. Dreadful.

was thinking that

absolutely a million miles from the striker just before he got injured

can see him requesting to leave. I think our style is not his game and he needs regular game time

Van Dijk and Fonte were both **** poor defensively.

Very odd thing to say. Our defence was basically hung out to dry by the midfield. The fact they had no confidence in the keeper obviously didn't help. Wanyama was injured and couldn't make another tackle in case he got sent off, Clasie was completely off the pace and Ward Prowse was just totally non-existent. Although Van Dijk could have done better against Dyer for the first goal, Tadic lost his 50/50 (which he tends to do 95% of the time) and then didn't do anywhere near enough to track him back.

Where do you start? Really looking fd to the game but the optimsm barometer was sent spinning when hearing that KD was playing! WTF? Last time I wanted to ever see this guy was at the Etihad last season and he didn't let anyone down that day, A couple of worldies and an honourable defeat. Here's your watch, thank-you, and enjoy. Spin fd 6 months and we're playing a challenging-but-winnnable PL game at home to leicester chuffing City! Can't believe how many on here consider 2-2 at home to Leicester, after being 2-0 up, to be a decent result!

Slow start from us and Leicester looking purposeful-but-limited, we've just won away at Chelsea, they've just been stuffed at home by Arsenal. We finally shake ourselves, decent corners for once, we're 2-0 up and cruising, Leics a shambles at the back and Saints looking set for a comfortable 3 points.

Memo to Saints' backroom staff, all Leic have got is spirit, pluck, effort and more effort, they will throw the kitchen sink and then some. Match them and you win the game, you've got a two goal start, if you keep it to 0-1 second half (and you will have plenty of chances to extend your lead) you will take a relatively comfortable 3 points, all you have to do is match them: one-on-one, man-for-man, eye-for-eye. tooth-for-tooth. you close out the game. Simple?

T-H-E-Y A-R-E- R-E-A-L-L-Y N-O-T A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-E N-E-A-R A-S G-O-O-D A-S- S-O-M-E O-N H-E-R-E A-R-E M-A-K-I-N-G O-U-T !!!!

Really disappointed to see comments that they 'wanted it more than us'; move to Southampton, live the pre-dream, ride the tiger, move to a big club. Win enough games to ensure the fans stay onside, they'll always cut you some slack that lot.

KD 2 nuff said

Cedric 6 jury's still out but i think he will be alight

Fonte 7 cracking finish, spiteful kick behind the knee from Vardy

VVD, 6 (loving his) work in progress, a sort of Dutch Mark Wright, but he needs some to find some PL streets asap

RB, WTF? 2 a game too far, prob his weakest ever Saints performance. Will get (much) better.

VW 5, picked up a nonsense booking and some sort of hammy/groin problem, and really looked like he wished he was anywhere but here.

JWP 7. I'm not feeling the hate, our most improved player this season.

Mane 3, he just had one today

Davis 7, usual stuff, we collapsed completely without him.

Tadic 2, ok first half, totally anonymous second half

Pelle 3, after the Lord Mayor's show, two stellar performance against MU and Chelsea, living the dream as Italy's number 9, back to reality today.

Yoshida 6, usual, willing whole-hearted performance, i didn't see him do much wrong.

Clasie 2, poor substitution, wrong player, wrong time, there's deep-end and there's drowning.

JRod 2, why? wrong player, wrong time, We needed to stop Leic playing, protect the back 4 and keep the ball, J offered none of these options.

Things can only get better, quick, someone tell me we were in lge 1 five years ago and we're lucky to have a team to support!

Where do you start? Really looking fd to the game but the optimsm barometer was sent spinning when hearing that KD was playing! WTF? Last time I wanted to ever see this guy was at the Etihad last season and he didn't let anyone down that day, A couple of worldies and an honourable defeat. Here's your watch, thank-you, and enjoy. Spin fd 6 months and we're playing a challenging-but-winnnable PL game at home to leicester chuffing City! Can't believe how many on here consider 2-2 at home to Leicester, after being 2-0 up, to be a decent result!

Jwp 7 haha! What game were you watching?

Slow start from us and Leicester looking purposeful-but-limited, we've just won away at Chelsea, they've just been stuffed at home by Arsenal. We finally shake ourselves, decent corners for once, we're 2-0 up and cruising, Leics a shambles at the back and Saints looking set for a comfortable 3 points.

Memo to Saints' backroom staff, all Leic have got is spirit, pluck, effort and more effort, they will throw the kitchen sink and then some. Match them and you win the game, you've got a two goal start, if you keep it to 0-1 second half (and you will have plenty of chances to extend your lead) you will take a relatively comfortable 3 points, all you have to do is match them: one-on-one, man-for-man, eye-for-eye. tooth-for-tooth. you close out the game. Simple?

T-H-E-Y A-R-E- R-E-A-L-L-Y N-O-T A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-E N-E-A-R A-S G-O-O-D A-S- S-O-M-E O-N H-E-R-E A-R-E M-A-K-I-N-G O-U-T !!!!

Really disappointed to see comments that they 'wanted it more than us'; move to Southampton, live the pre-dream, ride the tiger, move to a big club. Win enough games to ensure the fans stay onside, they'll always cut you some slack that lot.

KD 2 nuff said

Cedric 6 jury's still out but i think he will be alight

Fonte 7 cracking finish, spiteful kick behind the knee from Vardy

VVD, 6 (loving his) work in progress, a sort of Dutch Mark Wright, but he needs some to find some PL streets asap

RB, WTF? 2 a game too far, prob his weakest ever Saints performance. Will get (much) better.

VW 5, picked up a nonsense booking and some sort of hammy/groin problem, and really looked like he wished he was anywhere but here.

JWP 7. I'm not feeling the hate, our most improved player this season.

Mane 3, he just had one today

Davis 7, usual stuff, we collapsed completely without him.

Tadic 2, ok first half, totally anonymous second half

Pelle 3, after the Lord Mayor's show, two stellar performance against MU and Chelsea, living the dream as Italy's number 9, back to reality today.

Yoshida 6, usual, willing whole-hearted performance, i didn't see him do much wrong.

Clasie 2, poor substitution, wrong player, wrong time, there's deep-end and there's drowning.

JRod 2, why? wrong player, wrong time, We needed to stop Leic playing, protect the back 4 and keep the ball, J offered none of these options.

Things can only get better, quick, someone tell me we were in lge 1 five years ago and we're lucky to have a team to support!

Jwp wasn't worth a 7 IMO. I don't think he's improved much at all!