Southampton vs Chelsea Post Match Throw away

Secret Site Agent

We can talk about elaborate flicks all day long, but if you sit back against a team like Chelsea they will punish you. We didn't lose the match because of Pelle.

From a Pelle flick Chelsea hit us on the counter and equalize.

We may not have lost because of one mistake, but it didn't help. Forster should have dealt with the cross.

Waited a bit to review this game.

In summary, I think the ref robbed us:

His fouls given and booking bias was appalling.

Linesman flagged for a foul to us before the goal.

It was either a freekick or a penalty for cahil's tackle/foul on Austin which would have made it 2-0.

Also irked by how cack that goal was.

Costa got away with assault off the ball.

In addition, media bias has irritated me as very little of the above was actually covered. And, whilst I like RoKo's refusal to blame referees, I actually think it needs to be done in exceptional circumstances other they take you for a ride. And lately we have been ridden all the way to the local love shack.

However.

When all is said and done, we let chelsea's dirty play rile us up and ruin our game plan. Our players lost focus and if we want to move to the next level they will have to be more professional and rise above these things. Yes chelsea are dirty are basically dirty, cheating, diving scum (!) but we still let them win that game.

Also, Pelle should never play for saints again. He gave the ball away time and time again, inviting pressure and failed to hold the ball up on all but one attempt. Playing with him really is like playing with 10men, especially when he replaces Long who is half his size and does a better job as a target man.

Pelle has to go, and at this point I would accept a free transfer just to get him of the wage bill..

All the criticism of Pelle I've read subsequent to this game has been about his repeated decision to go for a poorly executed flick rather than trying to control the ball and then fight to keep hold of it. At that juncture in the game, you send on a good solid 'old school' centre forward because you want the ball to stick rather than immediately coming back after every clearance, so to play the way he did on Saturday was basically either lazy or stupid.

This is the point. His flicks didn't come off, but he seemed incapable of bringing the ball down and controlling it. Time and again it ran yards away from him and we lost possession.

Long is far better even as a target man, never mind his pace.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

From a Pelle flick Chelsea hit us on the counter and equalize.

We may not have lost because of one mistake, but it didn't help. Forster should have dealt with the cross.

I don't dispute that, but if teams scored every time a forward lost possession up the field we'd be looking at basketball scores.

Waited a bit to review this game.

In summary, I think the ref robbed us:

His fouls given and booking bias was appalling.

Linesman flagged for a foul to us before the goal.

It was either a freekick or a penalty for cahil's tackle/foul on Austin which would have made it 2-0.

Also irked by how cack that goal was.

Costa got away with assault off the ball.

In addition, media bias has irritated me as very little of the above was actually covered. And, whilst I like RoKo's refusal to blame referees, I actually think it needs to be done in exceptional circumstances other they take you for a ride. And lately we have been ridden all the way to the local love shack.

However.

When all is said and done, we let chelsea's dirty play rile us up and ruin our game plan. Our players lost focus and if we want to move to the next level they will have to be more professional and rise above these things. Yes chelsea are dirty are basically dirty, cheating, diving scum (!) but we still let them win that game.

Also, Pelle should never play for saints again. He gave the ball away time and time again, inviting pressure and failed to hold the ball up on all but one attempt. Playing with him really is like playing with 10men, especially when he replaces Long who is half his size and does a better job as a target man.

Pelle has to go, and at this point I would accept a free transfer just to get him of the wage bill..

Thank goodness you waited 48 hours before coming up with that considered response.

I think the reason Koeman brought Pelle on was to try and make the ball stick up front as we were getting pummelled at the time.

The fact that Pelle decided to flick the ball on four occasions to a Chelsea player was not in Koemans planning.

It will not go down well on here but I would like to see Bertrand playing in Targetts position as he is much more of a threat going forward.

Interesting point but Pelle has been brought on to do that same job in previous games and it has never worked out . Pelle is known for his flaws , being static and failing to retain the ball etc .

The blame really lies with the Manager who consistently fails to learn from past games

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Thank goodness you waited 48 hours before coming up with that considered response.

lol, attend the stadium mate, most fans feel the same, at least around me ;) And they have done for most of the season. Playing with Pelle is playing with 10men, and its apparent that a lot of fans and possibly even the team feel the same. Even the radio solent phone in follows the exact same vibe. His time is done.

Thank you for your keyboard warrior sarcasm also, as always the rest

lol, attend the stadium mate, most fans feel the same, at least around me ;) And they have done for most of the season. Playing with Pelle is playing with 10men, and its apparent that a lot of fans and possibly even the team feel the same. Even the radio solent phone in follows the exact same vibe. His time is done.

Thank you for your keyboard warrior sarcasm also, as always the rest

Nothing has changed my initial impression of him that he is more of a Championship player than Premier League. I had hoped that we could have coached some improvement into him but alas not.

There was about 30 seconds between the two incidents buddy. If we got that freekick they wouldn't have scored the equaliser.

But yes, Forster should have done better. I know he was put off by the player rushing in - but with the angle of the cross theres no reason he couldnt run towards the ball and grab it before it got anywhere near the player.

Anyone would think the long-standing criticism of him being a bit slow off his line due to his size was relevant or something. Fair dos to Forster, Hazard running in definitely distracted him, just like Stekelenburg was distracted by Falcao running in for Willian's free-kick in the Stamford Bridge game, which had a lot more pace on it and was much tougher to stop. I was more bothered by his weird flap at the Ivanovic header, which was only a yard to one side of him but which he tried to swat away. Stekelenburg would have got down much quicker as that's one of his strengths over Forster, and probably held it as his handling of low shots is much better.

:suspicious:

Re: Pelle, he's not played much recently and seems a bit off the pace, can't say I thought he was particularly wasteful and he's always been quite flicky, and anyone saying he doesn't hold the ball up well usually is living in cloud-cuckoo land, his hold-up play is usually excellent.

But at that point in the match Chelsea had been all over us for ages, our defensive midfield (especially Romeu) looked tired and weren't getting to the ball quickly enough, and no-one was getting up to support the strikers on the rare occasions we got the ball back and played it up the pitch, which wasn't very often anyway. We lost the game because our wide men got pinned back and Chelsea played well enough to wear us down. I'd have got Romeu off at least 5-10 minutes before he conceded the corner we let the second one in from (and though Koeman had JWP on the touchline when the 2nd goal went in, he didn't take Romeu off even then, he replaced Targett). Pelle had practically nothing to do with it and had Cahill and Ivanovic all over him whenever the ball went near him.