Brexit - potentially affected Saints players

Tom28

The idea that we will be able to leave the EU while keeping similar trade terms because "EU countries will lose lose out" seems a fanciful argument to me. If Britain is able to do that, then what would stop other countries going down the same route?

Why would they want? We are a net contributor to the EU and most of the EU members are not.

Yeah, good point, how could the 5th largest world economy negotiate favourable trade deals across the world, what a thought, how will we ever survive :lol:

We're only the fifth largest economy because of our position and relationship with/in the EU... But more to the point, given how strong our economy is in the current environment, why do people want to change?

Sadly, it is driven by the immigration debate, and headlines which make people emotional and angry (myself included), but in the cold light of day it should actually be a secondary consideration rather than the driving force behind a campaign.

Anyway, I apologise for moving the topic away from football...

Interesting. Where would our economy rank if we weren't in the EU?

Ha, had a feeling you would pick up on that. One of the messages, which obvious carries weight with people because it is emotional and passionate, is that Britain can punch above its weight if it's not part of the EU. The fact is, we already are, and being part of the EU has allowed us to develop the fifth largest economy. Now, you may be right that we could have been 5th without the EU, but that's the best case scenario isn't it?

We're doing pretty well currently, so why change and expose our country to massive amounts of risk, and huge upheval, when the best possible alternative scenario is that we do as well, or fractionally better than we already do?

Ha, had a feeling you would pick up on that. One of the messages, which obvious carries weight with people because it is emotional and passionate, is that Britain can punch above its weight if it's not part of the EU. The fact is, we already are, and being part of the EU has allowed us to develop the fifth largest economy. Now, you may be right that we could have been 5th without the EU, but that's the best case scenario isn't it?

We're doing pretty well currently, so why change and expose our country to massive amounts of risk, and huge upheval, when the best possible alternative scenario is that we do as well, or fractionally better than we already do?

So you don't know. Didn't think so.

So you don't know. Didn't think so.

I concede I was perhaps wrong to phrase it as "we're only 5th because", but nevertheless, we ARE part of the EU and we DO have the fifth largest economy. So why risk playing with those foundations?

I'm guessing as this is the only bit you picked up on, the rest of what I said was valid though. That's satisfying at least.
No, this is a thread specific to Saints. I was just picking you up on trying to promote ideas you'd made up yourself as facts.

The idea that we will be able to leave the EU while keeping similar trade terms because "EU countries will lose lose out" seems a fanciful argument to me. If Britain is able to do that, then what would stop other countries going down the same route?

If we end up leaving then the affect on our football teams will be the least of our worries.

You are a brainwashed numpty if you believe that.

Sadly the politics of fear will win out.

No, this is a thread specific to Saints. I was just picking you up on trying to promote ideas you'd made up yourself as facts.

That's fair enough to be honest, I shouldn't have waded in with non-Saints related stuff (though I'm not the only one). But I have noticed you only seem to pick up people who say anything remotely pro-EU.

Interesting. Where would our economy rank if we weren't in the EU?

The position of our economy depends a lot on the exchange rate.

As far as 'foreign' footballers are concerned they come here because the money is so good. I don't know how that might change if the value of the £ plummeted. I suspect that the riches of the Premier League would still temp them mightily.

I live in switzerland, I can tell you that there are plenty of ways trade and many of the single market principles can apply for non EU countries. Switzerland has many of the same priviledges as EU countries do, and yes the GDP and currency is very strong, probably economy more stable than UK on balance, but still.

People talking about how we will forsake lots of priviledges, just not true.

the biggest effect it will have is more political than anything else. sure, some companies will cease operations in the UK and there will be financial effects. But the political falling out it will have and has had already with members of EU, especially fringe players who will not benefit from UK withdrawing, will be more damaging long term .

You are a brainwashed numpty if you believe that.

Sadly the politics of fear will win out.

People are so civil on here... It's not about being brainwashed, it's about drawing my own conclusion that the EU are unlikely to agree terms with Britain which are just as good as they are currently if we leave, partly because of the precedent it sets.