Take a bow Jose

Saint Without a Halo

I've been all over the social medias trying to find out if he's the first to achieve this. Any stats nerds on here able to answer that?

This was actually a lot easier to check than I was expecting, Football League Trophy started in 83/84, so the eight winning squads in the Euros to check since then.

Vast majority of those players have never played in England, and out of those that have, only Traianos Dellas of Greece has played below the Top Flight, other than Fonte.

Took about 15 minutes :D

So, yes, he's the first player to win that particular double.

This was actually a lot easier to check than I was expecting, Football League Trophy started in 83/84, so the eight winning squads in the Euros to check since then.

Vast majority of those players have never played in England, and out of those that have, only Traianos Dellas of Greece has played below the Top Flight, other than Fonte.

Took about 15 minutes :D

So, yes, he's the first player to win that particular double.

Much appreciated! The taxpayer doesn't pay me to look up that sort of thing. Or post on here, for that matter!

To be honest we've created two amazing stories, almost Roy of the Rovers stuff in Fonte and Lambert, League One players going on to represent their countries, and then Fonte going on to win the European Championship, it's amazing.

We are making our history as we go along unlike Everton who have to look back a long way to find theirs!

Portugal looked so much better when Jose and Cedric and came to the team and both played a big part in the win tonight. So pleased for both of them.

This is so true. I was talking to a supporter today down in Lagos Portugal who did no know and had really never heard of Fonte. He had heard of Soares but mainly due to the Sprting connection. Now of course they along with the others are national heroes. I explained that the flag signed by the whole of the 2015/2016 Saints team is hanging in our local bar alongside the Portugal flag signed by Jose and Cedric. This of course now is of major interest to Portuguese people.

Maybe we should sign Eder? What a cracker of a goal.