'Luck' indexed table 17/18

benali-shorts

Liv unluckiest, then Brighton, then Saints/Newcastle (4 point swing). It brought back painful memories of Doucoure's handball.....

Odd that there's no VAR given the poor standard of refereeing last season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45087444

Premier League table 17-18 'Luck Index' simulated table 17-18

Manchester City 100 Manchester City 97

Manchester United 81 Liverpool 87

Tottenham 77 Tottenham 77

Liverpool 75 Manchester United 75

Chelsea 70 Arsenal 71

Arsenal 63 Chelsea 70

Burnley 54 Burnley 50

Everton 49 Newcastle 48

Leicester 47 Brighton 46

Newcastle 44 Everton 44

Crystal Palace 44 Crystal Palace 42

Bournemouth 44 West Ham 41

West Ham 42 Watford 41

Watford 41 Leicester 40

Brighton 40 Southampton 40

Huddersfield 37 Bournemouth 38

Southampton 36 Stoke 37

Swansea 33 Huddersfield 37

Stoke 33 Swansea 34

West Brom 31 West Brom 33

Do we know where the extra 4 points came from (2 from Everton away, 2 from Watford away?)

Those are the very obvious ones but Chelsea at home (no red card) and both Man City games (goals later than the added time) could easily have been included based on their criteria !

I think that we did suffer last season but compared to Stoke, who actually went down because of it, perhaps we got off lightly !

Did make me smile seeing that ex ref Peter Walton was involved; the ref who gave us a penalty for a challenge on Fonte so far outside the box that he could admire the Debenhams window display!! Then sent a Brighton player off in the meltdown that immediately followed such a criminal decision.

Did make me smile seeing that ex ref Peter Walton was involved; the ref who gave us a penalty for a challenge on Fonte so far outside the box that he could admire the Debenhams window display!! Then sent a Brighton player off in the meltdown that immediately followed such a criminal decision.

One of the worst pieces of officiating I've ever seen. Was behind the goal and right in line with the edge of the 18 yard box.

One of the worst pieces of officiating I've ever seen. Was behind the goal and right in line with the edge of the 18 yard box.

iirc He had missed a clear pen on Lambert before that though then missed another foul on Lambert before giving Lambert a pen that was dubious.

I seem to remember both games against Brighton that season where nasty affairs with lots of cards and fouls Lambert got sent of in the return game as well.

It's probably not as simple as that. We would have had some negatives and positives but the net effect was 4 negative

Absolutely right, the whole thing is highly subjective but at least it confirms that Man U are (and always have been) a bunch of jammy bar stewards !

I seem to remember both games against Brighton that season where nasty affairs with lots of cards and fouls Lambert got sent of in the return game as well.

I was at both games. D’Urso was the ref away, and often thought he had the needle against us after he was demoted from the Premier League ref roster following our relegation season opener v Blackburn when he booked the same player twice failing to send him off.

Lambert sending off right in front of me, was a bit like Stephens run in with Wilshire last season, Poyets hitman had tackled (Adam someone) Rickie in their box, Rickie was strong enough to be getting up first and the Brighton player scissored his legs round both Lamberts legs to prevent him getting up, and whilst both were still on the floor Rickie shoved him back in an effort to get free, D’Urso couldn’t wait to show the red card.

Going back to Jack Stephens last season at Arsenal, Marriner was the ref v Celta Vigo, late on Jack won the ball cleanly in a tussle, Mariner blew for a foul, Stephens shot Marriner a stare with a look of what exactly is your problem with me.

As the opening post says odd that VAR was voted against by the PL clubs, especially after no referees from the self proclaimed best league in the world were deemed good enough to be on the whistle at this year’s World Cup.

As the opening post says odd that VAR was voted against by the PL clubs, especially after no referees from the self proclaimed best league in the world were deemed good enough to be on the whistle at this year’s World Cup.

Not true. Mark Clattenburg was the nominated English referee on the list, which is put together at least a year in advance, but he then retired. There isn't a reserve list from each country, they just went with one of the referees from a different country instead.

Mmmm Liverpool the unluckiest their fans will absolutely love that I'm sure..

I see Gerrard is already complaining how everyone in Scotland hates Rangers.

They really just love playing the role of victims, they really do. The rest of the country is fed up with the scousers.