Favourite holiday destinations

Turkish

On 18/08/2022 at 11:33, stknowle said:

Went to Vancouver/Whistler 3 months back. Vancouver probably the most chilled city I’ve ever been to. Friendly people and love the way it’s designed with green spaces and trees everywhere like they’ve melted into the city from the surrounding mountains.

What do we think about cruises? On my 2nd one now, round the Baltics just left Copenhagen. A fair few Saints on board.

On a cruise right now around Alaska. Loving it. 5 days madness of Las Vegas then Alask is a heck of a contrast

• Like 1

20 hours ago, buctootim said:

On a cruise right now around Alaska. Loving it. 5 days madness of Las Vegas then Alask is a heck of a contrast

Never done more than a couple of nights on a cruise but missus really fancies Norway, fjords etc. Have people had good experiences? Maybe I am being too much of a philistine thinking eating, gambling and what else?

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

Never done more than a couple of nights on a cruise but missus really fancies Norway, fjords etc. Have people had good experiences? Maybe I am being too much of a philistine thinking eating, gambling and what else?

Read recently that there is quite a lot of push back in Norway towards the cruise industry. I suppose you can have too much of a good thing. Not sure about cruising to be honest. It seems an ideal solution as a now solo traveller. That said I've booked two weeks next year to Kefalonia. I'm taking my daughter and her husband for a week and I'm having my first go at holidaying on my own for the second. On a more serious note we're also taking my wife's ashes there as we spent our honeymoon in Kefalonia back in the eighties. 

https://www.newsinenglish.no/2018/10/24/calls-rise-to-limit-cruiseship-arrivals/ 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

Read recently that there is quite a lot of push back in Norway towards the cruise industry. I suppose you can have too much of a good thing. Not sure about cruising to be honest. It seems an ideal solution as a now solo traveller. That said I've booked two weeks next year to Kefalonia. I'm taking my daughter and her husband for a week and I'm having my first go at holidaying on my own for the second. On a more serious note we're also taking my wife's ashes there as we spent our honeymoon in Kefalonia back in the eighties. 

https://www.newsinenglish.no/2018/10/24/calls-rise-to-limit-cruiseship-arrivals/ 

Bless you mate

• Like 1

I’ve got a couple of trips booked next year to places I’ve not been before. First is to Belgium in March, ostensibly a cycling trip based in and around Ieper. Watching a couple of Spring Classics (E3 Saxo Bank Classic, Gent-Wevelgem)and doing a bit of the WW1 battlefields. By all accounts Flanders Week can be a beery one. 
Second one is to the Bourg St Maurice area of the French Alps in the summer. There’s something of a weird charm about ski resorts out of season just as there are coastal resorts. Riding up and down mountain roads for ‘fun’. Done Bourg d’Oisans area and Maurienne valley in the past. This time it’ll be Petit St Bernard, Col d’Iseran,  Cormet de Roseland and then there’s La Plagne, Tignes etc all nearby. 

• Like 1

On 24/08/2022 at 17:59, whelk said:

Never done it personally but some friends of ours did the holiday you’re talking about and said it was amazing. I would imagine that sort of place would attract a decent standard of clientele rather than the boozy med cruise tossers. The only thing they didn’t like about Norway was they went for a traditional Norwegian dinner of Herring. They didn’t find out until they arrived that it’s Norwegian tradition to bury it and let it rot before serving it, they said it was the foulest smelling and tasting food they’ve ever experienced. Aside from that Norway is a fantastic country by all accounts  

Currently in Sardinia, our third trip and is not disappointing. Spent the morning up at a lovely little town called San Pantelo, a market going on so we wondered round that, stopped for coffee in a delightful little cafe. The people are so classy. Then headed down the coast to Porto Cervo which is like the Sardinian Monaco, designer boutiques at every turn, Boats like you’ve never seen before. We arrived as this one was pulling out. Suckling pig for dinner tonight. 😋

B325D65C-E466-41B4-9C1E-D0753B644728.jpeg

On 25/08/2022 at 18:25, Turkish said:

Never done it personally but some friends of ours did the holiday you’re talking about and said it was amazing. I would imagine that sort of place would attract a decent standard of clientele rather than the boozy med cruise tossers. The only thing they didn’t like about Norway was they went for a traditional Norwegian dinner of Herring. They didn’t find out until they arrived that it’s Norwegian tradition to bury it and let it rot before serving it, they said it was the foulest smelling and tasting food they’ve ever experienced. Aside from that Norway is a fantastic country by all accounts  

Cheers and hear that herring is legendary but why anyone wants to go for it is beyond me. Other than the notoriety of having done it