Favourite holiday destinations

Turkish

As it’s holiday season let’s discuss for me I’m a huge lover of Italy. The history, the culture, the people. Sorrento, Venetian riverera, Tuscany and Puliga all fantastic. I’m off to Sardinia for the 3rd time a week Saturday and has everything, in my opinion, you’d need for a holiday. Beaches as good as anything in the Caribbean, Italian food, wine, style and culture, you can be up in the mountains or in a boat going up the coast in an hour. Not too many English there and the ones who do go are generally a decent standard of person plus only 2 hour flight away. 

Edited by Turkish

11 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Did you like Thailand? Where did you go?

Not been there either. Not really done they side of the world at all. Been to Mauritius which I loved, a safari in Tanzania and Kenya which was awesome but for some reason never been to Asia 

NE Corfu around Agios Stefanos Sinion. Right up in Durrell territory. White pebble beaches into blue Ionion Sea. Good enough for the Rothschilds it’s good enough for me. Food good too. Ithaki is nice as well. Maldives very romantic but boring. Best bit was seaplane transfer. Saw better reefs, fish etc in Hurghada area than in Indian Ocean. Absolutely detest USA. Only went once, wouldn’t go back If it was given.

Edited by Winnersaint

28 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

NE Corfu around Agios Stefanos Sinion. Right up in Durrell territory. White pebble beaches into blue Ionion Sea. Good enough for the Rothschilds it’s good enough for me. Food good too. Ithaki is nice as well. Maldives very romantic but boring. Best bit was seaplane transfer. Saw better reefs, fish etc in Hurghada area than in Indian Ocean. Absolutely detest USA. Only went once, wouldn’t go back fit was given.

I love corfu and most Greek islands to be fair

this has got me and Mrs T talking about our favourite places she’s loves Italy too and also Morocco, we’ve been the Marrakesh twice and it’s cool there. Weirdly the best sleep We’ve had was in a Egypt, didn’t like the place or hotel but I’ve never slept so well, in bed for 11.30-12ish and didn’t wake up until 10 the next day at the earliest out like a light for the whole holiday. 

I quite like the mountains in the summer. A cycling trip to the Alps is always good for the soul. Something quite odd about being in ski-resort in July. Next year looking around Bourg St Maurice area. Many famous climbs are relatively close by, but its the less known little gems you find which are really special. Like cycling around Lake Annecy or the Col de Beaune. Starts right opposite the Col du Telegraphe, beautifully quiet and peaceful by comparison

26 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Any of the less busy Greek islands is a close second.

Not just the islands, the mainland also. Holidayed for many years on the Mani Peninsula in the Peloponnese also visited the Pelion which is absolutely beautiful. Always liked the look of Sardinia. Lost my wife in December so holidaying not so easy at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Winnersaint said:

Not just the islands, the mainland also. Holidayed for many years on the Mani Peninsula in the Peloponnese also visited the Pelion which is absolutely beautiful. Always liked the look of Sardinia. Lost my wife in December so holidaying not so easy at the moment. 

Sorry to hear that. I do hope things look up

• Like 4

Islamorada, Florida Keys , Sicily, Lake Como. I understand why people fall in love with Italy.

My best holiday was a small yacht cruise (only 28 people from Split north) so relaxing and visiting little villages and the relaxation of the boat

3 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

I quite like the mountains in the summer. A cycling trip to the Alps is always good for the soul. Something quite odd about being in ski-resort in July. Next year looking around Bourg St Maurice area. Many famous climbs are relatively close by, but its the less known little gems you find which are really special. Like cycling around Lake Annecy or the Col de Beaune. Starts right opposite the Col du Telegraphe, beautifully quiet and peaceful by comparison

We were staying there in our caravan three weeks ago and I managed to cycle into town a couple of times on my folding electric bike. Spectacular scenery but too may people. Couldn't move in the town centre.

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

Islamorada, Florida Keys , Sicily, Lake Como. I understand why people fall in love with Italy.

My best holiday was a small yacht cruise (only 28 people from Split north) so relaxing and visiting little villages and the relaxation of the boat

We like Wahoo's Grill and have been there a couple of times. At our age though everything gets more difficult. The trouble with the Overseas Highway is that it can get blocked if there's the slightest traffic problem. The Florida Keys are well worth a visit though.

http://wahoosbarandgrill.com/

Best places I’ve been overseas

- Barbados x2, once for the Test match in 2004. West coast stunning but south coast beaches lovely too. Harbour Lights a great bar and some great eating places in St Lawrence Gap. 
- BVI;the Baths is my favourite beach in the world, great for snorkelling

- Vilamoura in the Algarve is good, quality golf courses and tonnes of places to eat

- Lanzarote nice if you avoid the busier resorts, Costa Teguise has good beach and facilities. You will get English but not the idiots and more of a mix of nationalities. All year round too.  

- NZ amazing country, South Island has the best scenery, North is more sub-tropical 

- Australia is fantastic. Sydney is like a computer-generated city and I love the ferries you can catch everywhere

- Closer to home, Belgium has some wonderful cities for a weekend eg Antwerp and Ghent, you can have a great 2-city weekend crossing the Oresund Bridge between Copenhagen and Malmo. 

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We like Wahoo's Grill and have been there a couple of times. At our age though everything gets more difficult. The trouble with the Overseas Highway is that it can get blocked if there's the slightest traffic problem. The Florida Keys are well worth a visit though.

http://wahoosbarandgrill.com/

Would stay at Cheeca Lodge, and wander to Lori Lees (spl ?)across the road, where there was a bit of live music and sit overlooking the water as we ate chicken wings, and prawns. Charter a boat and go fishing, although just went to look rather than game fish

https://www.cheeca.com

Edited by OldNick

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Would stay at Cheeca Lodge, and wander to Lori Lees (spl ?)across the road, where there was a bit of live music and sit overlooking the water as we ate chicken wings, and prawns. Charter a boat and go fishing, although just went to look rather than game fish

https://www.cheeca.com

Very nice. We were along that way last November after a cruise to Fort Lauderdale. It was only a couple of weeks before the USA opened up again. We went out to Key West for three nights and then stayed two nights on Key Largo on the way back. I managed to grab a trip on The African Queen original boat that was used in the Bogart and Hepburn film. I even got a chance to steer her. 

Naples on the west coast of Floriday is a nice place.

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Languedoc-Roussillon is beautiful, if it wasn’t full of French it’d be perfect. Love Crete, and the people are fantastic. Further afield St Petersberg/Tampa side of Florida is lovely. 

Good shout. For many a year we would take the caravan down that way to stay either at Argelès-sur-Mer or over the hills in the Costa Brava. Unfortunately the two of us and the caravan are getting a bit old for that sort of thing these days.

On 12/08/2022 at 10:54, AlexLaw76 said:

Southern Italy

Went to Puglia 3 years ago, absolutely agree and the best thing was we didn’t see or hear another English person the whole time we were there. Some of the restaurants were quite rude initially  assuming we’d want pizza and beer but once we ordered off the proper menu they were really good. I’m not surprised they were like that to be honest, I hate English tourists as well. Whinging, moaning and embarrassing demanding chips beer and pizza love FFS 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

Went to Puglia 3 years ago, absolutely agree and the best thing was we didn’t see or hear another English person the whole time we were there. Some of the restaurants were quite rude initially  assuming we’d want pizza and beer but once we ordered off the proper menu they were really good. I’m not surprised they were like that to be honest, I hate English tourists as well. Whinging, moaning and embarrassing demanding chips beer and pizza love FFS 

And spending all that money! Issue isn’t English tourists more the type attracted to certain types of holiday ie the package tour.

• Like 2

On 12/08/2022 at 17:51, Lord Duckhunter said:

Languedoc-Roussillon is beautiful, if it wasn’t full of French it’d be perfect. Love Crete, and the people are fantastic. Further afield St Petersberg/Tampa side of Florida is lovely. 

On 12/08/2022 at 17:58, Whitey Grandad said:

Good shout. For many a year we would take the caravan down that way to stay either at Argelès-sur-Mer or over the hills in the Costa Brava. Unfortunately the two of us and the caravan are getting a bit old for that sort of thing these days.

I love the Languedoc, and over the border. So quirky - french folk on their side cooking paella in the park, Spanish people eating Bouillabaisse on their side, and a mixture of French, Spanish and Catalan being spoken in some towns/villages. 

We really missed coming to France during COVID. Over here now on a little roadtrip. Currently enjoying a few nights on the Normandy coast. Splendid.

• Like 1

Most of France is incredible, particularly the rural hinterlands of Dordogne, Ardeche and Ardenne. Never tire of visiting and provided you make an effort with the language the locals are generally incredibly welcoming. Only ever had poor service and anti-English sentiment in Paris (and once we started to speak a little French even they were ok).

Morocco is a beautiful place but I think you need to get away from the tourist centres of Marrakesh and Agadir. This isn't for the feint hearted and is a little challenging if you happen to be travelling with a very pretty blond woman!

I understand why some don't like the USA, but I really love it over there. So much variety in landscapes, things to do, cuisine, cultures and experiences. The New England coast north of Boston is my favourite.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, edprice1984 said:

Most of France is incredible, particularly the rural hinterlands of Dordogne, Ardeche and Ardenne. Never tire of visiting and provided you make an effort with the language the locals are generally incredibly welcoming. Only ever had poor service and anti-English sentiment in Paris (and once we started to speak a little French even they were ok).

Morocco is a beautiful place but I think you need to get away from the tourist centres of Marrakesh and Agadir. This isn't for the feint hearted and is a little challenging if you happen to be travelling with a very pretty blond woman!

I understand why some don't like the USA, but I really love it over there. So much variety in landscapes, things to do, cuisine, cultures and experiences. The New England coast north of Boston is my favourite.

I've never really done France properly. A few trips to Paris and Lyon on business and a holiday years ago in Britanny. Definitely a place i want to see more of. We love Italy so much we seem to end up there every year mixed in with the Greek Islands and Caribean now and again for some winter sun.

On 11/08/2022 at 22:47, Toadhall Saint said:

Amazing place. I went to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Railay Bay, Ko Phi Phi about 6 years ago. I'd love to go back.  It's just so chilled but you get a bunch of culture too. 

Would highly recommend to anyone.

27 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Just got back from France, got married in the alps, but stopped in Beaune on the way down as we drove. stopped at Lake Annecy and Colmar on the way back. Something very special about France I find.

Congratulations on getting married! 

30 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Amazing place. I went to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Railay Bay, Ko Phi Phi about 6 years ago. I'd love to go back.  It's just so chilled but you get a bunch of culture too. 

Interesting. Heard mixed things about Thailand, some people i know have said it's quite seedy, one couple said it where they went was full of american military and they hated it. Others love it. Guess like anywhere guess it depend where you go.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Interesting. Heard mixed things about Thailand, some people i know have said it's quite seedy, one couple said it where they went was full of american military and they hated it. Others love it. Guess like anywhere guess it depend where you go.

Yeah - and who you bump into. Have to say Railay Bay is one of the best places I've ever been, can only get there by boat, no cars,  Monkeys walking about everywhere, great for rock climbing if that's your vibe. Everything is like looking at a postcard.  Wasn't a big fan of Bangkok though, party islands don't get great reviews as full of tossers most of the time, same as shagaluf etc

Railay Bay Wedding Destination Packages : Krabi, Thailand

16 hours ago, edprice1984 said:

I understand why some don't like the USA, but I really love it over there. So much variety in landscapes, things to do, cuisine, cultures and experiences. 

Spent a week in Yellowstone last month right after the floods they experienced, resulting in some sections of road that got washed away by the river banks. Vast majority of the park was reopened very quickly and to my benefit, about 50% down in visitor attendance. The geothermal activity is breathtaking and varied. bison everywhere and a few close up bear encounters. Will be back. You have to book accommodation a year before your trip if you fancy staying in the park, even if you're camping.

21 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'll give you Ko Phi Phi, definitely a place to visit but again very touristy. Chiang Mai some stunning scenery and temples and all that. Found Railay Bay just full of pissed up Russians (might be less an issue now!) and Aussies in and around resorts. Bangkok is ultra busy and about as far away as chilled as possible but certainly an experience! Another two to avoid - Phuket & Ko Samui.

Just to show everyone's idea of a holiday is different and never take anyone's experiences for granted - explore for yourself :)

Edited by skintsaint

I know it's not always popular, but the US is fantastic. No other place on earth has as many different potential holidays as there. Canada is also superb, Toronto is a brilliant city and the West coast around Vancouver/Whistler/Banff is spectacular. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LGTL said:

I know it's not always popular, but the US is fantastic. No other place on earth has as many different potential holidays as there. Canada is also superb, Toronto is a brilliant city and the West coast around Vancouver/Whistler/Banff is spectacular. 

Went to Vancouver/Whistler 3 months back. Vancouver probably the most chilled city I’ve ever been to. Friendly people and love the way it’s designed with green spaces and trees everywhere like they’ve melted into the city from the surrounding mountains.

What do we think about cruises? On my 2nd one now, round the Baltics just left Copenhagen. A fair few Saints on board.

2 hours ago, stknowle said:

Went to Vancouver/Whistler 3 months back. Vancouver probably the most chilled city I’ve ever been to. Friendly people and love the way it’s designed with green spaces and trees everywhere like they’ve melted into the city from the surrounding mountains.

What do we think about cruises? On my 2nd one now, round the Baltics just left Copenhagen. A fair few Saints on board.

Britannia? We’ve never been on that one. I’d be interested in your views.

We love cruising and have spent something like 550 nights on board about 36 cruises and have seen all sorts of wonderful places all over the world. Highlights have been Cape Horn and the Falklands, the Panama and Suez Canals, Australia, Hawaii, several transatlantics, Norway, Spitsbergen, Iceland and lots more European ones of course.

Going from Southampton avoids the awful airports and flying.

The Canadian Rockies are on my list and I would love to do a fly-drive trip there before the insurance premiums get to high on account of our ages and medical conditions.

On 12/08/2022 at 04:47, Toadhall Saint said:

I have lived and worked in SE around 20 years now, mainly Thailand. Love it here but would not go for a holiday LOL. I holiday in Cambodia, Hong Kong, KL, Aus to name but a few. Thailand is not the same as it used to be, and all the better for it. I live out in a small town in Isaan area, semi-retired. Hard to explain the life here but you feel free, unrestricted by silly nanny state rules and having to watch what you say. If you are a decent sort, the Thai's will love you back in spades. It's only the silly sexpats and grumpy old gits who bemoan all things Thailand that get issues from time to time. 

On 18/08/2022 at 22:44, Whitey Grandad said:

Britannia? We’ve never been on that one. I’d be interested in your views.

We love cruising and have spent something like 550 nights on board about 36 cruises and have seen all sorts of wonderful places all over the world. Highlights have been Cape Horn and the Falklands, the Panama and Suez Canals, Australia, Hawaii, several transatlantics, Norway, Spitsbergen, Iceland and lots more European ones of course.

Going from Southampton avoids the awful airports and flying.

The Canadian Rockies are on my list and I would love to do a fly-drive trip there before the insurance premiums get to high on account of our ages and medical conditions.

Yes Britannia. Ship is absolutely fine but not full (which was lucky given we insisted on moving cabin - as did others - because original one in the Aft shook so much) and I had the impression they were cutting costs as a result (less entertainment, less food variety than the previous one in 2018). I think Covid still a factor but anyway still good, loved Talinn and old town Stockholm in particular.
Booked the next one while on board but couldn’t get in till 2024 so looks like things returning to normal.

21 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Yes Britannia. Ship is absolutely fine but not full (which was lucky given we insisted on moving cabin - as did others - because original one in the Aft shook so much) and I had the impression they were cutting costs as a result (less entertainment, less food variety than the previous one in 2018). I think Covid still a factor but anyway still good, loved Talinn and old town Stockholm in particular.
Booked the next one while on board but couldn’t get in till 2024 so looks like things returning to normal.

There were some initial complaints that the lifts were insufficient. She’s a bit big for us with a capacity of but having said that we have effectively jumped ships to Princess and are sailing next on Sky Princess whose capacity is slightly more. When we sailed on her across to Fort Lauderdale last November there were only 1300 on board, 250 of whom were British. It was wonderful.