RIP Steve Mackey

Noodles34

13 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Steve was bass player in Pulp, passed at 56. So many memories of his gigs and above all meeting him at V97 at Chelmsford. Took the time to chat to me on all things Pulp. Really great guy and will be so very much missed. 

Yeah, I was at Chelmsford and Pulp were the absolute highlight despite the fact I only knew their chart stuff.  Was really impressed with them as a live band although the pedant in me will point out that it was V96 rather than V97.

Sad news though, RIP.

5 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, I was at Chelmsford and Pulp were the absolute highlight despite the fact I only knew their chart stuff.  Was really impressed with them as a live band although the pedant in me will point out that it was V96 rather than V97.

Sad news though, RIP.

Yeah they played V96, I was at that, an amazing gig, think Fluke were on as well. Jarvis was disguised in an ape suit (during the day, not on stage)  if i can recall (though i was very mashed up). They played an amazing version of Live Bed Show, not one of my favourites up to that point but they nailed the extra length version. 

But went the following year to V97 and had access to the VIP, backstage area and though they were not playing, Steve was there, so was Mark Webber and then Jarvis turned up. I was wearing my simple black Pulp T short, said 'hello, always wanted to meet you...' some other star struck waffle and he said, 'love your t shirt' , which i thought was funny. But yeah, chatted with Steve for a little while actually, what a sound fella. 

Last saw him when I went to see Jarvis (solo) at The Troxy and he was doing the bass. Was surprised he wasnt involved this year, the long awaited and very much overdue comeback but sadly we now know why i guess. 

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Great band, Jarvis Cocker very good front man and an under rated song writer, some of his lyrics were brilliant. 56, so young, very sad.

very underrated song writer, some truly amazing lyrics. And he was/is a showman. I go to gigs to be entertained and see something you don't get by playing a record, sorry cd, oh sorry, a stream. As good as Oasis were it seemed to me that Liam just stood there, a little swagger was as much as he gave and like, 'yeah, this one's called Some Might Say and this one's called Champagne Supernova and this one's called.... you know. But JC had the audience in his hand and my biggest miss was Glasto 95 FFS. Still regret it now, what a show. 

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

very underrated song writer, some truly amazing lyrics. And he was/is a showman. I go to gigs to be entertained and see something you don't get by playing a record, sorry cd, oh sorry, a stream. As good as Oasis were it seemed to me that Liam just stood there, a little swagger was as much as he gave and like, 'yeah, this one's called Some Might Say and this one's called Champagne Supernova and this one's called.... you know. But JC had the audience in his hand and my biggest miss was Glasto 95 FFS. Still regret it now, what a show. 

He is a very good front man. I also thought Brett Anderson was. Camp, a bit weird but had great energy, saw Suede again a couple of years back and he was just the same. Actually seeing them in two weeks time again. 

I don’t mind the Liam swagger, it’s the whole act and it suited Oasis, bit like Ian Brown, don’t do much but it works for them. Jarvis wouldn’t have worked in Oasis and Liam wouldn’t have worked in Pulp. 

but yeah some of the lyrics in Pulp songs are brilliant, very witty and funny whereas although Oasis songs are great a lot of the time the lyrics are a bit shite and don’t make sense. 

• Like 1