Possession Football

Wade Garrett

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Yep, and it's up to the manager to ensure we do that.

Yup I’d say so St Clark - and I don’t think many could realistically disagree too much 

But I’d imagine most would also agree that mastery - that means a consistently high level of proficiency in the “ possession game” this case - of anything new takes time.

How long other teams take / took to master a system is only a guide- not gospel.

Our manager, players and the whole context is unique. Some parallels absolutely - but our situation is our situation- not Leicester or Brighton’s,  

Perversely I’d expect the younger players to pick up our “ possession “ based game quicker than the older ones but all the same it takes time and for each it’s different. 

If I had to point my finger at what I thought was one main invisible but major contributory factor for our poorer performances this season ( the bad losses I mean)  it would be that,:  under pressure, they’ve mentally cracked and reverted to playing like a team used to getting beaten and relegated - and all of a sudden they cannot run pass tackle or shoot even open their mouths at anything like the level we know they are capable of. 

I know. a bit about Sports Pyschology,  and professional sports management and Russell’s hardest job is not teaching them to how to pass a ball better - it’s getting the players to totally believe in their own ability..

It’s incredibly hard when 32,000 people are going g to dissect your every mistake. But it marks out the average:good from the great. And why I seem so obsessed on getting our crowd to fully support what the players are trying to do- even when they fuck it up, 

• Like 1