Alex McCarthy

Oldandtired

Last year people rightly laid in to Baz because there's no way he should have been our first team goalkeeper, but this year,, as fans we seemed to accept there was no-one else. Now he's injured, I'm starting to think there really is no-one else. Macca against Preston was pretty awful. He half spilt the only gentle save he had to make, his distribution was as shit as ever, and that dribble out where he got caught was a gentle reminder of how bad he can be. Problem is, I don't think Lumley is much better and the big positive with Macca is that the rest of the team look forwards rather than backwards! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Last year people rightly laid in to Baz because there's no way he should have been our first team goalkeeper, but this year,, as fans we seemed to accept there was no-one else. Now he's injured, I'm starting to think there really is no-one else. Macca against Preston was pretty awful. He half spilt the only gentle save he had to make, his distribution was as shit as ever, and that dribble out where he got caught was a gentle reminder of how bad he can be. Problem is, I don't think Lumley is much better and the big positive with Macca is that the rest of the team look forwards rather than backwards! 

Which was low and to his left and would have been a certain goal if Baz was playing - looks like an improvement already.

Joe Lumley must be seriously pissed off a keeper that initially wasn't even on the team sheet (Mcarthy) suddenly chosen above you.... Martin obviously has no trust in him 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

Joe Lumley must be seriously pissed off a keeper that initially wasn't even on the team sheet (Mcarthy) suddenly chosen above you.... Martin obviously has no trust in him 

I'm sure he seriously happy that the club idiotically rushed to extend his contract.

• Like 1

It would seem against Leicester we reverted to type and continued the pass around the back mantra. Seldom did we get it forward, and when we did Che had little support to do what frankly, he’s not too bad at which is holding it up. I do wonder what the playoffs will be like with Lumley and Mccarthy to choose from. Do we continue the walking football with perhaps a Lumley type? Do we flog off the Buddha-Ball Martin instructions and go long with Mccarthy. 

The latter would be my ideal. But something tells me we’ll go for the hell option - Passing round the back AND Mccarthy. 

Neil Warnock said that when at QPR he fined any player for passing to Adel Tarrabt in the defensive half. How about if you pass back to Mccarthy under no pressure = 5 grand fine. We’ve got better players than you, play proper football and we could win the play offs.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the last two games, the ones he has played in, Macca has been perfectly OK. He has not been to blame for the goals against, has made a few good saves and, with only one exception, has dealt calmly with receiving the ball under pressure and passing the ball forward, either short or long, or rolling or throwing it to one of our unmarked players.  He has hoofed it long a few times more than Bazunu would have done but that is no bad thing and has done it pretty well.  I, too, would not mind Lumley in goal, but Macca is the safer choice IMO.  He has not let us down so far this year.

2 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

In the last two games, the ones he has played in, Macca has been perfectly OK. He has not been to blame for the goals against, has made a few good saves and, with only one exception, has dealt calmly with receiving the ball under pressure and passing the ball forward, either short or long, or rolling or throwing it to one of our unmarked players.  He has hoofed it long a few times more than Bazunu would have done but that is no bad thing and has done it pretty well.  I, too, would not mind Lumley in goal, but Macca is the safer choice IMO.  He has not let us down so far this year.

He's another one of those players who never makes absolute howlers, but you are always left wondering if he could have done better. He's not really made any saves since he's been back in the side, nothing that stands out - yet he's picked the ball out of his net 7 times, which is a bit odd.

I'm not saying it's on him at all, but I just find it odd that our GK's don't make saves.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1