Biggest personal overreaction to a defeat?

whelk

On 21/02/2024 at 12:53, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Amongst many......Watford away in the League Cup 1980 (won't mention the score) OB refusing to let us out to get back to Waterloo for last train back to Southampton, that wrankled.

Anyway, someone had to do it...

spacer.png

Fuking ell, Alan Padrew and Kirk from Coranation Streer don't look happy! Who ate the last Rolo? 🤣

Edited by ally_uk

I stayed away from Watching Saints live in person or even live on tv because I often could not cope with the emotions when we played. It came to a head in the fa cup at the Ricoh one year and I think we won and it was JWP first goal but I just did not enjoy it - at all- actually the opposite. It took me such a long time after that to be able to watch live again after, Neurodivergent idiosyncratic person that I am.
Having a ST in Northam is like masochism - I force myself to watch but I’m trying to brave it out even though a lot of the time I don’t like being there even when we win. Masking is effing bad for everyone but I just feel there’s no point running away from it though - and I’ve never run, ever. Not starting now. Emotional regulation can be a struggle to get right for autistics. But I support Saints always will do cannot just unsupport them. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

8/10 IMO

1 = Not technically human

2 = Worst manager in the club's history

3 = Awful

4 = Disappointing

5 = Below par

6 = Okay

7 = Really good

8 = Brilliant

9 = Outstanding

10 = Perfect

Currently he's a 6.

If we go up automatically he goes up to 8 (9 if we somehow finish first).

If we go up through the playoffs he gets a 7.

If we don't go up he's a 3.

Not me and not saints, but pretty sure I remember a story about a Bulgarian supporter in 1994 throwing his tv out of his flat window in rage over an opening defeat to Nigeria.

They finished 4th in the end and he wasn’t able to watch any, apparently .

Not sure how true - I imagine tvs were relatively expensive in 94, especially on Bulgarian wages … but you have thought his mates would let him watch round theirs. Still, remember hearing it and it made me smile.

As an aside, enjoyed 94 as a neutral - Bulgaria beating the Germans a highlight along with Romania beating Argentina. Great World Cup, sh1t final.

Highbury 84 - Heath.

Nothing will ever come close to the plethora of negative emotions.....anger, devastation, frustration, injustice, sadness. 

That soon changed to fear walking out though. I was 10 years old and never seen grown men fighting before. Scrapping everywhere - literally everywhere, and it lasted what seemed like ages. It was frightening. Some seriously angry Saints fans that day - never seen anything on that scale since.

After that, Norwich FAC 92, Fleck. We could have won it that year. Fkn fuming for days.

And rather randomly, Harry Macguires last minute winner for Leicester about 5 years back....the rage I felt walking out was palpable. 

1 hour ago, Wiggles31 said:

After the Forest game last season under Jones me and my old man had a huge argument driving back. 

You: Jones will win the Champions League
Your Dad: Europa League, at best.

🙂

Somewhere, on the SaintsWeb of a parallel universe...actually, even in infinity not that one...

We were all upset by the result of the '84 semi final, but a fella on our coach to Highbury was beyond consoling and was eventually sectioned on the following Monday.  There were existing and underlying mental health issues there before hand, but Adrian fucking Heath sealed it for the poor chap.  

N:B He made full and lasting recovery after a few months. 

• Like 1