Cider

harvey

Well I've not long finished off my bottle of Aspalls Suffolk Cyder and it was bloody lovely, and that's coming from someone who's a non cider drinker.

I had a bottle of 1664 afterwards and there's no comparison, I think I may get more aquainted with Aspalls in the future..........nice one :smt033

I might try Westons next week :-k

Thatchers Gold - Crisp reasonable strength

Thatchers Katy - A lady I have fallen in love with over 7% and tastes like apple juice

Old Rosie - Brewed by Westons aquired taste lose all sense in tongue

Black Rat - Very nice quite strong

Stowford Press -

Addlestones - Longer in barrel stronger it gets.

The ultimate though in my humble Bristolian opinion has got to be Natch, £1.30 a pint in my local, still poured from a flagon and can strip paint from 30 yards...........although you wont remember the evening after 5 pints!!!!!!!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
and anyone who insists on calling pear cider "Perry" is far too pretentious for their own good ;)

HTH

Boggy old girl, it has been known as Perry for centuries, it is only in the last couple of years that it has been marketed as "Pear Cider" for the plebs and kids who don't know any better.

• 3 weeks later...
Boggy old girl, it has been known as Perry for centuries, it is only in the last couple of years that it has been marketed as "Pear Cider" for the plebs and kids who don't know any better.

Now make up your mind DSM, i can't be an 'old girl' and a 'kid' at the same time....:lol:

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Now make up your mind DSM, i can't be an 'old girl' and a 'kid' at the same time....:lol:

I was trying not to cast aspersions on you, lumping you in with the kids. I assumed from your pictures that you were past the impressionable years and were able to make decisions in your own right.:D:D:D

I was trying not to cast aspersions on you, lumping you in with the kids. I assumed from your pictures that you were past the impressionable years and were able to make decisions in your own right.:D:D:D

unfortunately, yes i am and fortunately, yes i can!! :D

(and i still think that calling it Perry sounds pretentious!) :yawinkle:

• 2 weeks later...
Kopperberg is the shizz' date=' especially its mixed berry flavour[/quote']

as i'm not 18 or under, i have no idea if that is good or bad, sorry :D

Midnight-Special-1.jpg

i bought a bottle of Mr Whitehead's Midnight Special Perry (note i'm using the word 'perry').

i thought i'd give it a go, seeing as it is locally produced (Alton)

am sad to say that it was bloody awful....:(

why do they make pear cider that DOESN'T taste like pears??????:mad:

will be sticking to me St Helier, methinks :D

Edited by saint boggy

Stayed in the other week and decided to have a couple of bottles of cider for a change...

The Henney's was alright...but Kopperberg was f::cking grim...i've eaten sugar that wasn't that sweet...

tis very sweet, i admit.............but i have a sweet tooth, so that doesn't actually bother me :)

Woohoo.

I have just found out that I am going to be getting a very large quantity of free (apart from a days work) cider.

Me and a small group of friends are going to a farm next Sunday where we will picking as many apples as we like from thr orchard then using the farmers mill/press to produce the juice. The farmer has said that we just need to give him half the juice that we make. He has said that we can take as like. To give us an idea of the size of his orchard he said that last year he sold over 20 tons of apples to Thatchers.

He is also willing to sell us some of his left over stuff from a couple of years ago at very competitive prices.

Happy days

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bottle of Aspall's (thanks to the recommendations from this thread) and a bottle of Katy in my fridge that my folks have just brought over. I may need to crack at least one of them open tonight and have the other as a celebratory gulp after we beat Bristol City on TV tomorrow.

I have a bottle of Aspall's (thanks to the recommendations from this thread) and a bottle of Katy in my fridge that my folks have just brought over. I may need to crack at least one of them open tonight and have the other as a celebratory gulp after we beat Bristol City on TV tomorrow.

I think you will enjoy the Aspalls, a really nice drink.

Had some French stuff last week (can't remember what it was called), it was not to my taste at all :(.

LV have you not tried Hornsbys? They do "Hard apple" and "Draft" i believe, both around 5% ABV.

As for the ultimate cider, the award goes to "K". Black can red "K", and at 8.4% ABV it gets the job done. Tescos is about the only place you can buy it.

I also love Aspals.

But "K" wins hands down IMHO with Merrydown Gold a close second.

Col.

LV have you not tried Hornsbys? They do "Hard apple" and "Draft" i believe, both around 5% ABV.

As for the ultimate cider, the award goes to "K". Black can red "K", and at 8.4% ABV it gets the job done. Tescos is about the only place you can buy it.

I also love Aspals.

But "K" wins hands down IMHO with Merrydown Gold a close second.

Col.

I have a bottle of Hornsbys in the fridge...it's been there for over a year....

It doesn't work for me I'm afraid.

Luckily I do have an offy a few blocks away who stock Magners, which is good enough for me!

Used to drink K a lot in my youth, haven't drunk it since then though. It certainly got the job done though.

The Aspall's was very tasty and strong...but now I have none. :mad:

I have a bottle of Hornsbys in the fridge...it's been there for over a year....

It doesn't work for me I'm afraid.

Luckily I do have an offy a few blocks away who stock Magners, which is good enough for me!

Used to drink K a lot in my youth, haven't drunk it since then though. It certainly got the job done though.

The Aspall's was very tasty and strong...but now I have none. :mad:

I tend to mix the 2 Hornsbys as i find it tastes better. Untill this year you could still get K on the west coast from a store chain called Publix. They have now gone over to Magners and Strongbow with a few Woodpecker on the shelf as well. I have also brought Dry Blackthorn from Trader Joes.

Col.

Addlestones is a rather lovely cider. And I had one down in Cornwall recently called Rattler which was fantastic but I don't know if it's available anywhere else. I haven't seen it available in Sheffield anyway!

I think bottles of Cornish Rattler are available in Morrisons, but not sure if it is all over the country!!

I've noticed recently at away games that alot of clubs sell cider on match days these days which is a nice change from Carling or smooth bitter.

I don't see why any club, including SFC, shouldn't stock cider on a match day if there is a strong enough demand for it. It's not the preserve of **** heads now is it ? it's a very popular social drink ;)

Well I've not long finished off my bottle of Aspalls Suffolk Cyder and it was bloody lovely, and that's coming from someone who's a non cider drinker.

I had a bottle of 1664 afterwards and there's no comparison, I think I may get more aquainted with Aspalls in the future..........nice one :smt033

I might try Westons next week :-k

Im glad you liked it.

I don't see why any club, including SFC, shouldn't stock cider on a match day if there is a strong enough demand for it. It's not the preserve of **** heads now is it ? it's a very popular social drink ;)

erm.......they do :D

they sell bottles of Magners and they used to (not 100% sure if they STILL do) sell it draught.....

HTH............;)

• 2 weeks later...
I tend to mix the 2 Hornsbys as i find it tastes better. Untill this year you could still get K on the west coast from a store chain called Publix. They have now gone over to Magners and Strongbow with a few Woodpecker on the shelf as well. I have also brought Dry Blackthorn from Trader Joes.

Col.

I noticed they had started stocking it. Did you ever try Trader's own cider? Wasn't bad till I found a source of Magners.

I noticed they had started stocking it. Did you ever try Trader's own cider? Wasn't bad till I found a source of Magners.

No, never even saw their own brand, i will be sure to check it out when i am in LV in April.

As a point of interest, where can you get Magners in LV? We tend to do all our shopping at Vons or Wal-Mart (i know Wal-Mart is crap but she likes it ;o) ).

Col.

No, never even saw their own brand, i will be sure to check it out when i am in LV in April.

As a point of interest, where can you get Magners in LV? We tend to do all our shopping at Vons or Wal-Mart (i know Wal-Mart is crap but she likes it ;o) ).

Col.

It's an independent liquor/wine store in the south of town towards Anthem. I found it by just calling a bunch of stores in the area and as I was about to give up, got lucky!

WalMart is very useful, just know the right time to go to avoid the masses. :cool: Target is better though.