New Challenge?

Saint Charlie

All the teams we have played so far this season have played against us aiming to win. They have played with two or more strikers and probably believed they could win. This gives us more space to exploit.

Blackpool will probably pack the midfield, make it very scrappy, play 4-5-1 and aim for a point. This makes them harder to break down and therefore harder to beat.

If we are patient then we should be able to out pass them.

If we can overcome this hurdle, which has previously been our downfall, then the season would be looking very bright indeed.

Exactly my thoughts too. If you look at their start they have lost their 2 homes but got a point away at Norwich. This says to me that they are obviously no good at trying to go for a win which has resulted in 2 home defeats, however when they've gone away they have packed the midfield & made it hard for the opposition.

That said i can't believe many if any teams in this division can pass the ball around like we have done in our opening games so i think we should be able to break them down, a early goal is obviously imperative.

Edit - Just found this: http://www.blackpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=509335

Edited by saints_is_the_south

Every match is a test of some new area of skill, passion, endurance. Looking back through the results of the season before last, I was amazed at the results, and my own lack of memory of them. Saints were doing really well upto a certain point and then it fell away slightly. Even during just last season, we weren't doing at all badly, results wise, and then it completely fell away. I guess we saddled them with such unreasonable expectations that any poor result was worth firing someone for.

This season our expectations are nothing like as high, and we've won one match in the league out of three. Yet we are a pretty happy bunch. I suppose it is all about perception in the end. But unlike the last two seasons, you can't deny the playing style is very pretty to watch and it is beginning to be effective. If they can continue to do that, then I'm sure our Saints kids will do us proud.

Well, it seems that part of their five man midfield may comprise Adam Hammill and Jermaine Wright. So you'd think, according to many of the posters who couldn't wait to have a pop last season, that we should have no problem against a midfield containing a fat bloater and a footballing 'tard!

Its good to read that opposition fans dont know whats happening at Southampton. Hopefully we'll get a win and it'll be another team saying they played rubbish.

Should be a good test for the team. Especially if Blackpool line up like that and come to defend.

I have been impressed with JP and his adaptability - he learnt from the errors of the first Brum game was a little more conservative and this paid dividends. I think although we maintained the basis of the pass and move game last night we were tighter (toight like a toiger!!) and prevented Brum from getting any momentum of their own even when they got some possession.

Agree completely that this has been our achilles heel for a number of years even in the Premiership under Strachan, however in theory to break down this sort of defence you need quick passing and good movement something that has not been lacking this year. We may also need to take our chances something that has been more apparent this year.

We know Jermaine Wright is not all that mobile so we should be able to pass around him but my worry is Hamill will run and run at Surman who makes the Legend of the Seas look nimble!!

Would like to see either Jake Thomson or Jamie White back out wide as the pace of both them and Holmes has stretched defences and left room in the middle.

We might be on the verge of something great at St Marys in the coming months and Blackpool are a team we need to beat to ensure that points are taken from those around us come the end of the season or that we take points off of those at the bottom where we have failed in previous campaigns to push us into play-off places.

All the teams we have played so far this season have played against us aiming to win. They have played with two or more strikers and probably believed they could win. This gives us more space to exploit.

Blackpool will probably pack the midfield, make it very scrappy, play 4-5-1 and aim for a point. This makes them harder to break down and therefore harder to beat.

If we are patient then we should be able to out pass them.

If we can overcome this hurdle, which has previously been our downfall, then the season would be looking very bright indeed.

Excellent point, it is a matter of playing from the back, draw them out. If making no forward progress bring the ball back into backs - suck them out, meanwhile constantly have two (player) options checking into the ball. Create triangles (like Saturday afty at Pride Park) then look for the simple open slots.

Once a goal up - the options become different because the opponent's game plan is fuct, they have to commit and we pick them off.

With an early goal we win by three, if not we eek out a one-zip win.

The boys are playing fantastic football, I can't remember being so excited being as a Saint. Okay we may not win stuff for a while - if ever, but Jeezarse what a team to watch. More of the same and a big thanks to our Dynamic-Dutch-Duo. An absolute joy to watch!!

We know Jermaine Wright is not all that mobile so we should be able to pass around him but my worry is Hamill will run and run at Surman who makes the Legend of the Seas look nimble!!

Well, yes, but has Hamill shifted any of that extra weight over the summer? If not, he's not much of a threat. I *loved* that moment last night when one of the Brum players kept trying to be clever (over down by the corner flag, Chapel end) to get past Drew, and in the end we just ran away with the ball. They should know enough about Hamill's showboating to be able to nick the ball off him, and we know that he can't cross for toffee.

Would like to see either Jake Thomson or Jamie White back out wide as the pace of both them and Holmes has stretched defences and left room in the middle.

Yes - both should have been 'rested' and are due to appear.

If they try & come and pack out the middfield lets hope for an early goal.......I think our young side will then murder them.

However, if they keep it goaless til mid 2nd half watch out for the sucker punch.

patience will be the key both on and off pitch

http://blackpool.rivals.net/News/pgArticle.aspx?artid=13530_4048015&id=8

They've only won once in 15 games :shock: How teh fook did they manage to stay up last season?!?!

They were dropping like a stone towards the end of last season and were my tips for relegation. However, like Steve Grant said, they had just about enough points on the board from earlier on and managed to get what they needed to keep their heads above water.

Will be interesting to see how we perform against them now we are expecting to beat them.

Hope we are not overconfident!

Will be interesting to see how we perform against them now we are expecting to beat them.

Hope we are not overconfident!

Got to admit I'm worried about not being the underdogs. It's the first time this season Saints have been the bookies favorites. I expect Blackpool to pack the midfield with 10 men behind the ball and play a very physical game, it'll be a test for the lads to see how they cope with it.