Top Gear

Pancake

If you did what father ted did to "victor Meldrew" (im ganna assume uve seen that episode) you would expect to get battered, you did the same thing to james may, what did you expect? Him to turn round with a massive smile on his face as if he'd never heard that **** one liner before? If you'd shaken his hand and introduced yourself like a normal human being maybe he'd have been more responsive.

Exactly, May was being self deprecating in his speech not giving the wages clerk the opportunity to use his personal and original material as an insulting opening gambit.

NC and JL - I'm not going to rise to the bait and get into further details as I can't be bothered and it's not relevant to the thread.

Clarkson made Top Gear what it was (and 'is' if you like the current format), whilst also-rans like May have thrived off the back of JC's fame and talent.

There are too many journalists-come-presenters on the show. For what it's worth, I preferred the previous format (circa 1988-late 1990's) when Tiff (a real driver) and Clarkson (the joker journalist) drove cars and reviewed them to decice which cars were best (in their respective classes). Sadly, the BBC have left the purist petrolheads behind and chased the popular TV audiences. You could call it dumbing down, which is typical of the BBC.

The later format is boring - how many times do you want to see a celebrity drive a crap car round an airfield? Honestly?

Anyway, I'm off to the Goodwood Festival of Speed.......

Edited by Johnny Bognor

NC and JL - I'm not going to rise to the bait and get into further details as I can't be bothered and it's not relevant to the thread.

Clarkson made Top Gear what it was (and 'is' if you like the current format), whilst also-rans like May have thrived off the back of JC's fame and talent.

There are too many journalists-come-presenters on the show. For what it's worth, I preferred the previous format (circa 1988-late 1990's) when Tiff (a real driver) and Clarkson (the joker journalist) drove cars and reviewed them to decice which cars were best (in their respective classes). Sadly, the BBC have left the purist petrolheads behind and chased the popular TV audiences. You could call it dumbing down, which is typical of the BBC.

The later format is boring - how many times do you want to see a celebrity drive a crap car round an airfield? Honestly?

Anyway, I'm off to the Goodwood Festival of Speed.......

I agree with you JB apart from your stance on May or that Clarkson made May because he has 'thrived off Clarkson's fame and talent'. Clarkson is a one trick pony and ready for the knackersyard. I seriously doubt Clarkson could pull off the number of entertaining and diverse documentaries that May as managed in his self-effacing way whereas Clarkson is now a bigger parody of his own bigoted self and frankly an embarrassment IMO.

I agree with you JB apart from your stance on May or that Clarkson made May because he has 'thrived off Clarkson's fame and talent'. Clarkson is a one trick pony and ready for the knackersyard. I seriously doubt Clarkson could pull off the number of entertaining and diverse documentaries that May as managed in his self-effacing way whereas Clarkson is now a bigger parody of his own bigoted self and frankly an embarrassment IMO.

My thing with May is personal, so should not be on the forum, but he is still second rate though. Agree with you to some extent about Clarkson, but the World According to Clarkson is quite a funny read - he is what I call a joker journalist and when bearing that in mind, he is taken in the right context and is not that annoying.

...but the Top Gear Reliant rocket was real fun, and it actually worked rather well.

On the Tyre thread, there is an argument about what is the best performance tyre to use. Top Gear could do a feature on this. Would it be more interesting than watching some boring celeb drive a crap car around an airfield?

Probably, but instead they will try and put a Robin Reliant on the moon :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Johnny Bognor

I must admit there are times when I just wish Top Gear would return to being the motoring programme that it was when it was first broadcast many, many years ago. They don't even particularly open the bonnet anymore, and as for mpg figures and running costs, well forget it. However, that particular cat is out of the bag, and it won't go back in. A truly informative motoring programme is now almost impossible to do. Even Fifth Gear is really just a little bit too silly, despite the fact that they try to be informative. Top Gear has become the BBC's longest running joke, but the trouble is the producers manage to keep coming up with new ways to re-tell it and the presenters are obviously friends too, and have an great push-pull onscreen relationship. It's no surprise that the popularity hasn't really waned, since the first programmes of the different style came in, and the comic content gets bigger and bigger. It's kind of like Have I Got News For You/Mock The Week/Never Mind The Buzz****s... for the jokey motor enthusiatic public.

There really should be [some..? More..?] motorbikes on it though, especially as May and Hammond own machines too; and JC should have to test one - and fall off. Now that would be a funny joke. ;)

I'm not sure I could place my life in the hands of original topgear presenter Angela Rippon, but I'd be happy if called to the cause with Fiona Bruce. She should dump those silly BBC News and Crimewatch programmes. She'd be fab on Topgear. It would be no pants night for all blokes over 30 on Sunday night at 8pm.

Edited by TopGun