Running Routes

StuRomseySaint

just did the half marathon last week in plymouth...

13 miles mate..make sure you get the right footware or you will do damage

I have a nice pair of 'sneakers' and will do the good ol Army powder trick before I set off.

I am probably being stupidly confident bythinking I can just get up and take my fat belly for a 10 mile run, but even if I walk a bit etc... I would rather feel the distance early rater than work up to it... then I can improve on my time, rather than my distance.

I have a nice pair of 'sneakers' and will do the good ol Army powder trick before I set off.

I am probably being stupidly confident bythinking I can just get up and take my fat belly for a 10 mile run, but even if I walk a bit etc... I would rather feel the distance early rater than work up to it... then I can improve on my time, rather than my distance.

I am fairly fit..run regularly (well around the 5 miles mark) and play football 5-a-side usually twice a week..

I never properly trainined for the half marathon last week thinking "I would be alright"...

I wished I did..around the 9-10 mile mark I was really feeling it..

13 miles was hard, taking in the hills etc

still did it in 2hrs...but it bloody hurt..my feet are still in bits

I am fairly fit..run regularly (well around the 5 miles mark) and play football 5-a-side usually twice a week..

I never properly trainined for the half marathon last week thinking "I would be alright"...

I wished I did..around the 9-10 mile mark I was really feeling it..

13 miles was hard, taking in the hills etc

still did it in 2hrs...but it bloody hurt..my feet are still in bits

I think I am going to do some of the Test Walk, Romsey to Mottisfont and back... all Bridleway so a bit easier on the feet.... and I imagine/hope flat as a pancake.

I am training for the great south run as well, I am just working my way up to 10m rather than going out and doing the full 10m as practice. I usually run 10k which is 6.2m so shouldn't be a problem adding the extra four miles before October.

Also planning on running it in a Southampton shirt as I stupidly bet my old man I'd do it when I was ****ed.

Just out of interest which charity are you raising money for Stu?

Stu... if you plan on training for a long run, and dont have proper running shoes, you will injure yourself, end of story.

and yes, im talking from experience, run 10 miles plenty of times and done a half marathon

Stu... if you plan on training for a long run, and dont have proper running shoes, you will injure yourself, end of story.

and yes, im talking from experience, run 10 miles plenty of times and done a half marathon

this...

like I said, my feet are in bits...I had Nike running shoes but I mistakenly got the wrong sort..and I am paying for it now..

Yeah it's in Southsea.

As for running shoes there is a shop in Chandlers Ford where you run on a treadmill for five minutes and they give you the right shoes for your running style. Does make a huge difference although they're like £50-60 each.

I am training for the great south run as well, I am just working my way up to 10m rather than going out and doing the full 10m as practice. I usually run 10k which is 6.2m so shouldn't be a problem adding the extra four miles before October.

Also planning on running it in a Southampton shirt as I stupidly bet my old man I'd do it when I was ****ed.

Just out of interest which charity are you raising money for Stu?

SSAFA - http://www.ssafa.org.uk/

They gave me money for a deposit for a flat and rent in advance when I left the Army, I gave them my word I would pay them back for it one day, so now is the time.

SSAFA seem to get forgotton now with Help for Heroes in so many peoples thoughts.

For the record, I will be running in full Saints replica kit, Saints hat and facepaints, and YES I do expect donations from this site.

The running shop in Chandlers ford is excellent, expect to pay between £70-80 for a good pair of shoes. You will also need to spend about £20 on running socks (expensive but socks are just as important)

I would highly recommend running around the outskirts of salisbury. Lots of country lanes with little traffic, some tough uphill moments and some amazing scenary.

Looking to do a 10 mile run tommorow.

Doing the Great South Run so rather than training to get up to distance, I am just gonna crack on and knock 10 miles out tommorow then use it as a benchmark to try and improve my time.

Anyone know any good routes?

Around the common five times starting at the Cowherds... oh... there might be a problem there!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I'd recommend running about six miles a day for the first fortnight.

By then you should be in Lyme Regis...

Stu, go out in your car first and use the mileometer to set your routes.

I did GSR last year from Wave's charity...bloody hard work to be honest. Especially when the wind on the seafront gets you about 2 miles from the finish.

I've done London Marathon twice, but that was harder. Sounds bloody daft, but true.

Can't emphasise enough the importance of the right trainers/socks.

Other tip - plasters over the nips pal. Having experienced joggers nipple, it hurts like a bastard....

I am a runner and do mostly half marathons. Here is my advice, take it or leave it.

-split your efforts into 3 workouts a week (1 long slow run, 1 faster "tempo run", 1 shorter recovery run).

- You want to use speed workouts to improve your speed, the long ones to get your body used to being on your feet running for a long period of time and recovery workouts to keep you loose and the add to your overall base mileage.

- Don't try to run your long run fast, keep it at least 45-60 seconds per mile slower than your goal race pace (the pace should be converational, i.e. you can hold a conversation while running without getting out of breath). Build up to 11 or 12 miles by adding a mile each week. Take short walkbreaks if you need them, the goal is speed in this workout but time on your feet.

- Do the speed workouts at about 85% of your all out pace. 1 mile warm up and then 2 miles at your 85% speed, 1 mile cool down. Add half miles to the speed interval each week.

- Recovery runs are at a pace slighly faster than the long runs, just run them and enjoy them, they will help with base mileage and not knacker you out for your other workouts.

- Biggest mistake is to do long runs too fast that you are too knackered to do your fast runs fast enough.

- closer to race time, try a "race pace" 6 miler.

- in the race, start out at a pace about 10 seconds per mile slower than your goal pace and increase it as you go, finish strong.

- Good luck

Sorry made an error in the above post, can't edit, should say "NOT" speed...

- Don't try to run your long run fast, keep it at least 45-60 seconds per mile slower than your goal race pace (the pace should be converational, i.e. you can hold a conversation while running without getting out of breath). Build up to 11 or 12 miles by adding a mile each week. Take short walkbreaks if you need them, the goal is NOT speed in this workout but time on your feet.

I think I am going to do some of the Test Walk, Romsey to Mottisfont and back... all Bridleway so a bit easier on the feet.... and I imagine/hope flat as a pancake.

STart off at the Hunters, up Briashfield road, down past hillers, back down the astraight mile to crampmore, turn left down crampmore lane after the straight mile, go over the ford and railway, up past stanbridge earls school, down the hill over the railway, cut up through bramble drive, in the bottom of the westering, up the hill to viney avenue, back along winchest road to braishfield road, cut down to cupernham lane, down the new road to the esso garage, hack down into romsey, back of the abbey, out through the centre, up botley road, down halterworty lane and finishup at the hunters.

or use mapmyrun.com

The running shop in Chandlers ford is excellent, expect to pay between £70-80 for a good pair of shoes.

If the shop is any good they should recomend you a pair of shoes that fit you, not within a specific price range.

Make sure you go to a store that has a running machine and can measure your gait.

My shoes are a pair of Asics and they cost 50 quid.

Personally, of all the problems "learning" to run... and it is a learning process... I found running SLOW enough the hardest. It really is a battle between your vanity and your sanity (ohh i like that). The correct pace, as others have said, is being able to hold a conversation... but as another way of putting it, imagine you're playing sunday park football, ball goes out for a throw in and you need to go fetch it... that "slightly quicker than lazy" jog to get the ball is about the right pace.

Im very happy with my long run pace now, i dont care about speed at all, Im not in it for anything other than how FAR I can run. My pace is such that, yeah, it takes me a while, but I can reasonably run 8 to 10 miles and still be able to hold a conversation that last mile and when i stop

Im very happy with my long run pace now, i dont care about speed at all, Im not in it for anything other than how FAR I can run. My pace is such that, yeah, it takes me a while, but I can reasonably run 8 to 10 miles and still be able to hold a conversation that last mile and when i stop

That's perfect! Throw in some speed sessions and you will likely run your race at a faster pace but with the endurance to finish strong...

I am a runner and do mostly half marathons. Here is my advice, take it or leave it.

-split your efforts into 3 workouts a week (1 long slow run, 1 faster "tempo run", 1 shorter recovery run).

- You want to use speed workouts to improve your speed, the long ones to get your body used to being on your feet running for a long period of time and recovery workouts to keep you loose and the add to your overall base mileage.

- Don't try to run your long run fast, keep it at least 45-60 seconds per mile slower than your goal race pace (the pace should be converational, i.e. you can hold a conversation while running without getting out of breath). Build up to 11 or 12 miles by adding a mile each week. Take short walkbreaks if you need them, the goal is speed in this workout but time on your feet.

- Do the speed workouts at about 85% of your all out pace. 1 mile warm up and then 2 miles at your 85% speed, 1 mile cool down. Add half miles to the speed interval each week.

- Recovery runs are at a pace slighly faster than the long runs, just run them and enjoy them, they will help with base mileage and not knacker you out for your other workouts.

- Biggest mistake is to do long runs too fast that you are too knackered to do your fast runs fast enough.

- closer to race time, try a "race pace" 6 miler.

- in the race, start out at a pace about 10 seconds per mile slower than your goal pace and increase it as you go, finish strong.

- Good luck

I shall give that a try. Cheers. I do have a good raw talent at running for a fatteh. Represented the Army in Inter-Services x-Country and represented South of England and Hampshire in various national championships, as well as being an England Schools Finalist at 800m

Ok, that was a while ago, but still, it's just like riding a bike.... isn't it?

STart off at the Hunters, up Briashfield road, down past hillers, back down the astraight mile to crampmore, turn left down crampmore lane after the straight mile, go over the ford and railway, up past stanbridge earls school, down the hill over the railway, cut up through bramble drive, in the bottom of the westering, up the hill to viney avenue, back along winchest road to braishfield road, cut down to cupernham lane, down the new road to the esso garage, hack down into romsey, back of the abbey, out through the centre, up botley road, down halterworty lane and finishup at the hunters.

or use mapmyrun.com

That's not a bad route actually. Although I will wait a bit to get myself up to a decent standard before I attempt to run in open public.

Tonight I am going from my house ( Whitenap ) down Highwood Lane, right at Stroud School, all the way up Green Lane to Ampfield, down the straight mile, left at the Mandarin chef, Halterworth Lane, Botley Road, Home.

5 miles.

If I cared about time and speed I would, to be honest I dont do it for those reasons, I have no desire to run my distances at a steadily better time. My fitness is generally ok as is my weight (am technically under-weight). Im the typical sunday league football who has no desire to play at a higher level :)

Fwiw, and if anyone reading this lives in eastleigh. Start off in town centre, head towards train station, then towards airport parkway, at the last set of lights before the houses finish, turn into the new housing estate then pick up chestnut avenue, then right onto passfield avenue, up to leigh road and back into eastleigh.

This is EXACTLY (to within a few meters) 5k. Its nice to do 3 laps of this, its nice and flat too :)

That's not a bad route actually. Although I will wait a bit to get myself up to a decent standard before I attempt to run in open public.

Tonight I am going from my house ( Whitenap ) down Highwood Lane, right at Stroud School, all the way up Green Lane to Ampfield, down the straight mile, left at the Mandarin chef, Halterworth Lane, Botley Road, Home.

5 miles.

It's more interesting than out in the country side.... give you stuff to look at ... theres nothing worse than running for miles in a straightline with nothing to look at...

Used to do that route you said myself... watch out down the Straight mile up the ampfield end... gets pretty dark there and the cars come flying round the corner there.. there an access road part way down... some nice houses... just watch out for scrotes hanging around the ford/railway crossing....

It's more interesting than out in the country side.... give you stuff to look at ... theres nothing worse than running for miles in a straightline with nothing to look at...

Used to do that route you said myself... watch out down the Straight mile up the ampfield end... gets pretty dark there and the cars come flying round the corner there.. there an access road part way down... some nice houses... just watch out for scrotes hanging around the ford/railway crossing....

I hang around down there.

You can get good trainers for about 30 quid, just get asics (I know its a spelling mistake sorry) What side of southampton are you, I'm woolston and there are a few good runs to do.

I'm doing the New Forest marathon, raise a bit of money, I'm only just trying to finish it as will be my first marathon. Used to be in army but not it great shape right now!

Anyway If your Itchen side let me know.

Was doing 10k quite often before my first great south run and was surprised the different demand. Felt the extra bit of distance hit joints more than fitness. Would definately recommend building up with longer slower runs even if fairly fit.

Last running shoes were from place in Eastleigh just outside Swann centre -v helpful and not bad price.

The great run site has loads of schedules you can personalise.

And having done it few times GSR always seems to be either scorching or blowing a gale