Labour leadership 'contest'

trousers

Diane Abbot confirmed as a Labour leadership candidate courtesy of a nomination by, amongst others, one Edward Milliband

And there was me thinking that Labour had scoffed at the 'marriage of convenience' between Cameron and Clegg.

Ok, both Labour party members but, in principle, a similar 'stitch up'....

I think you'll find that Dianne Abbott was actually nominated (by DAVID Miliband) in order to offer a wider choice to those who can participate in the election.

There had been some disquiet that, prior to her nomination, the candidates were all white, middle class and Oxbridge educated.

Her nomination goes a little way to redress the balance, although I think she, too, was Oxford educated.

I'm sad that John McDonnell has withdrawn his candidature.

I think you'll find that Dianne Abbott was actually nominated (by DAVID Miliband) in order to offer a wider choice to those who can participate in the election.

There had been some disquiet that, prior to her nomination, the candidates were all white, middle class and Oxbridge educated.

Her nomination goes a little way to redress the balance, although I think she, too, was Oxford educated.

I'm sad that John McDonnell has withdrawn his candidature.

good...someone with BNP thoughts like wanting to murder someone has no place in such a position

They were at school together, did you know that?

No. but I see from Wiki he used to work for Ocean Trading, a company supplying ships with provisions, as did I. They had a base in West Quay road. Oh how our careers have diverged!

Diane Abbot confirmed as a Labour leadership candidate courtesy of a nomination by, amongst others, one Edward Milliband

And there was me thinking that Labour had scoffed at the 'marriage of convenience' between Cameron and Clegg.

I think it was David Miliband and Abbott went to Cambridge

Edited by John B

The whole oxbridge thing depends on what you want.

Do you want a parliament in which you have the smartest people possible in(i.e those who managed to get into Oxbridge)?

or...

Do you want a parliament that is truly representative and reflective of the people?

The best result is probably is probably a mix between the two...

FFS if you are going to criticise Labour spell Miliband right.

I don't think going to Oxbridge infers smartness on anybody. Portillo and the Millibands come across as sharp. Abbott does not.

The thing that annoys me the most about the majority of our politicians - all parties - is how thick and incompetent they all are (with a few exceptions).

The majority remind me of a bunch of middle management Accenture / DC types.

Intellectually impressive MP's are becoming thinner and thinner on the ground.

I don't think going to Oxbridge infers smartness on anybody. Portillo and the Millibands come across as sharp. Abbott does not.

The thing that annoys me the most about the majority of our politicians - all parties - is how thick and incompetent they all are (with a few exceptions).

Crap. Just because the holier than thou Enoch, Benn, Foot and Heseltine have retired or died does not make it a place for less clever people.

Although she won major accolades for her speech in the Commons about the 42 day detention bill from the opposition (David Davies) ["one of the finest speeches I have heard since being elected to the House of Commons"] and won the Spectator (a right wing magazine) Parliamentary Speech of the Year.

Mmmmmm, but people who manage to get into Oxbridge generally have very good brains. You need some of that in the government, but you also need people who know what it is like to actually live the life that many people live. Diane Abbott was hardly born to a privileged background, her mum and dad were a nurse and a welder respectively and her parents were immigrants which I'm sure in the 1950's wasn't that easy.

Anyway, the point is you need many types of people in government running the country, and Oxbridge types should be a part of this, but not ALL of it.

Mmmmmm, but people who manage to get into Oxbridge generally have very good brains. You need some of that in the government, but you also need people who know what it is like to actually live the life that many people live. Diane Abbott was hardly born to a privileged background, her mum and dad were a nurse and a welder respectively and her parents were immigrants which I'm sure in the 1950's wasn't that easy.

Anyway, the point is you need many types of people in government running the country, and Oxbridge types should be a part of this, but not ALL of it.

Personally I think Parliament should be filled with bearded folk in cardigans, elbow patches and sandals. Let the elite from the academy govern for a change.

True. But it gives the party a chance to show how open, inclusive and representative the race was before the white middle class oxbridge guy wins.

And it does deny the opportunity to say that there was no real choice.

She might not get many votes from the PLP but I bet she picks up quite a few union and constituency votes.