Flybe

Evil Monkey

My friends and I had flights booked to Newcastle for the Hartlepool game. Due to the snow, several flights were cancelled, and according to the flybe website, ours was one of them. So we didnt travel, and I applied for a refund due to the cancellation. Nearly a month on now, Ive had an email from their accounts department saying that we wont be getting a refund because the flight was NOT cancelled. Ive replied saying that it was cancelled according to the webiste at the time, but I suspect their response will be something like, 'meh. Prove it.'

What can I do?

Contact the airport and they should be able to confirm any cancellations.

But the airport will not be able to substantiate the accuracy of the flybe website at the time of the alleged cancellation - which is where EM says he got the information. Probably the only people who would be able to confirm the accuracy of that information would be Flybe themselves, and it's unlikely they are going to do that I guess.

I think the only thing that you can do is get your friends to also complain that incorrect information was made available on their website and as a result you want at least the refund from the flight. Don't forget - if the website was inaccurate (and the flight did leave), you could conceivably claim for lost monies for the game ticket, overnight accomodation etc. Eitherway - if there were a few of you booked on the flight I would get everybody to make the same complaint. Good luck.

Keep contacting their complaints department, reminding them that they are spending more on responding to your calls and correspondence than the cost of the refund innate first place.

Pester them enough and it will eventually be more economical for them to pay you than continue with the dialogue.

And make sure you copy your correspondence to the chief exec's office each time too.

This could cause a bit of a problem for you. Being someone that takes fly-may-be flights on a regular basis there are a couple of loop holes that they can use to get out of paying you compensation. The main problem you have here though is that you looked at the website and did not go to the airport. They always advise you to contact the airport and the company directly to find out what the status of the flight is. Even if the website says it's cancelled it is always best to contact them directly and if all else attend the airport. (If the flight is cancelled you are able to claim reasonable costs for fuel and parking).

You should still be able to have flybe and BAA (Who own Soton airport) confirm if the flight was cancelled as they will have to provide documentation that it was not. So If Flybe say it was not then they must provide you with details of when it took off and then arrived. If this is outside of 24 hours then you should stand to get a full or at least 75% refund.

Hope this helps.