-
Posts
4078 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by CanadaSaint
-
I can't imagine Euell intiating the team huddle after Preston's goal if Wotte hadn't talked to the senior players, perhaps especially him, about the need for leadership. Good sign.
-
I think most open-minded people would be more positive about Wotte if he hadn't been so quick to sound like Rupert's parrot. He's made some mistakes in team selection but at least he appears to be learning from them. He seems capable of adjusting in a way JP never really was. For me, he's as good as his last game, and right now that's pretty damn good. If he could just drop the needless comments and make sure that the side shows the fight we expect, things will settle down.
-
Great win. That game in hand is crucial.
-
And, in the same vein, has Kelvin needed to make a save yet?
-
I'll be interested to hear what role McGoldrick is playing with Saga and Euell up front.
-
Man, it's quite a risk to use all three subs at half time.
-
How about "Don't change anything unless you have to"?
-
What's been the key to the success, Hypo? Anything stand out?
-
Absolutely. Saint_clark out!
-
This makes an absolute mockery of leaving Saga out - unless 'someone' wants to take credit for lighting a fire under him.
-
Wotte has to keep going at them. If he tries to close things down and hold on we'll struggle again because we're not equipped to do it.
-
Holy crap. 2-0 up? I think I'm gonna get a nosebleed.
-
Stanley will be one of the 15,000. He's just venting. The ones who won't be in the 15,000 have already gone, haven't they?
-
That was supposed to cheer you up. Not a good sign! Did he say anything of interest that you could share?
-
Ron, please go to the pub with Stanley! I'm trying to create a little optimism here.
-
You're right, FC. Life as a fan is like being a yoyo. But this is one goddam long piece of string. People are still posting, though, aren't they? Thank God.
-
You replied before having the pints, didn't you! Burnley's ground was only upgraded, though, wasn't it? I mean, it's not a new stadium. And the point about surrounding competition is key.
-
Right now, and given that Lowe will hold onto control until the bitter end, no matter how bitter it is, only three things could unite the fan base. An F.A. Cup, promotion or administration. Administration sure as hell wouldn't be my first choice, but that's how it is. If and when it happens, I think there will be 15,000 or so sticking with the club until better times return. Plus a few of us who, every so often, arrive at Heathrow at 1:00 pm and barrel down the M3 to catch the kick off, a pie and a pint (or four). They're still my team, no matter what.
-
Have a couple of pints, Stanley, and let's all start being optimistic for a change. Blackpool and Burnley are surrounded by top flight clubs which drastically limited their crowd potential as soon as they hit the skids, and they also have aged stadiums. We, on the other hand, are neighboured by Bournemouth and that sh*t-hole down the road (who might just be in as much trouble as us), and we have a new-ish ground with development potential all around. The economy may be in the tank but this is when the big money comes looking for "potential". And if the pints don't work, hit this linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcO6NH7zcxs
-
Protest stage 2: February 21st, meeting at bargate again.
CanadaSaint replied to Mr X's topic in The Saints
Folks, thanks for the perspectives. Ron, Sheff Saint and others, I fully agree with you that the state of the economy really magnifies the challenge of Administration. However, my point was that Administration, in and of itself, is not necessarily a death knell at all. As the saying goes, out of adversity cometh opportunity. Notwithstanding "the lack of investors whilst Lowe was not in charge" (good point, Ron) I think there are people out there ready, willing, able and even keen to pick the bargains out of the rubbish heap - whether they be retail chains or airlines or football clubs. I also think that we're a very good candidate because of the unfulfilled potential. So, as a natural-born optimist, I'm going to cling to the view that 'death' through Administration (with a good prospect of re-birth under new ownership) will turn out to be far, far better than the lingering death and constant humiliation we currently face. (But then I favoured the SISU deal and they haven't exactly set Coventry alight, have they? ) -
Protest stage 2: February 21st, meeting at bargate again.
CanadaSaint replied to Mr X's topic in The Saints
I'd be interested to hear (from those who hold this particular view) why administration would be an unmitigated disaster. Sure, it would be a horrendous development but not, in my view, one without upside. The club still has major potential, the debt holders on the stadium can only recover their money if the club succeeds as a club, the area surrounding the stadium could bring some big money into play, and Rupert will almost certainly not be allowed to profit from his own utter ineptitude by getting the chance to buy the organization out of administration. I have a lot of respect for most of the people advancing the "unmitigated disaster" argument but I still feel that there are some good people out there waiting for administration to happen - people who want no part of Lowe. I'd like to understand why some of the smarter minds on here see administration (for us, not just administration in general) as a catastrophe without any redeeming features. -
Nineteen, I actually appreciate most of your posts even though I don't share a number of your perspectives. I cannot see any situation in which "the debtors are repaid in full". The stadium debt is a long term repayment proposition for anyone except the Paul Allens of this world, especially as a considerable sum needs to be devoted to rebuilding the club's playing and non-playing staff infrastructure. Whoever buys us out of administration will need to satisfy the administrator, and that also means anyone whose loan financing, in whatever form, carries forward into the new ownership. That's why I'm saying that the administrator will bear in mind Lowe's abject inability to solidify from a position of strength (the post Cup Final year), his inability to hire capable management to drive a return to the Prem (with parachute money to play with), his ludicrous experiments of various kinds, and - perhaps especially - the utter contempt the fans have for him. The administrator and the main debt holders will be looking for someone with the skill and funding to rebuild this club from Division One. Rupert clearly has neither, and I think - and hope - that he will be quickly dismissed. If that is to happen the fans must leave no room for doubt that he is unacceptable to them, and yet show how much they care for the club. So (easy for me to say from 4500 miles away and with no season ticket) that means supporting the team, protesting the ownership and understanding that there's a time for each. Another couple of thoughts after reflection: I completely agree that if a club such as ours goes into admin it will sound a "warning bell to other clubs that their 'lifestyle' cannot be supported and changes need to be made to the way they operate financially." That message is desperately needed because UK football cannot survive in its current form. In many ways it's a microcosm of what has happened to the UK economy as a whole. Please don't cite Aldershot or Bournemouth as examples of the consequences of administration. The potential in this club is major, with a new (expandable) ground, development space around it, a huge catchment area, and a demonstrated ability to attract crowds of 30,000+ week in, week out.
-
That's how I think it works, and I believe the administrators are obligated to consult with the debt holders who have a vested interest in the option chosen. If the fans don't want Lowe they would have to make it clear that recovery won't happen if he's still around. This is a unique power that football fans have compared with the customers of normal trading entities.
-
Given the proven potential of the club I'd be shocked if some decent money isn't waiting patiently on the sidelines, and so - much as I dread the prospect of administration - I think it's A) very likely to happen, but B) unlikely to be as bad as many of us fear (even though the economy is very sick). After all, the cost of starting the recovery in League One - and rebuilding fan support - is much lower than it would be in the Championship or the Prem. I would be even more shocked if any of the current lot would have an ounce credibility in the eyes of the administrator or the main debt holders. They are a thoroughly discredited bunch in both football and business terms, and it's clear that they don't - and never will - have the support of the key group for future success - the fans. Much as I feel sick to say this, I can't help but view administration as the new beginning we desperately need.
-
Based on that 'rationale' MLT would never have kicked a ball if Wotte was the manager. It really would be funny if it wasn't so heartbreaking.
