The Unofficial Official Glastonbury 2011 Thread

swannymere

• 1 month later...

Line-up for West Holts stage announced:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/11/110413e.shtml

Headliners for the stage are (for those who cba to look)

Friday: Cee-Lo Green

Saturday: Big Boi

Sunday: Kool & The Gang

Surprised to see Jimmy Cliff only 3rd from top on Friday, but I guess Eavo wants him playing an early evening slot so the sun is still out for him. See BB King has been moved to the Pyramid as well, I think originally he was slated to headline WH on Friday with Jimmy subbing but it looks as if BB is now playing before Elbow.

Have to say I died a little inside when I saw that Ke$ha was playing the Dance Village on Thursday and sometime on Friday as well.

Ooh Paul Simon rumour & Kylie (again) loved her show when she came here even tho I only went under duress from the GF

White Lies OK that keeps me interested

BB King on Pyramid thank fook it now won't clash with something the GF wants to see headlining

Duane Eddy - wow that goes back a long time

FULL LINE-UP REVEALED!

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2011/lineup.shtml

Have to say, not as strong as in previous years (2009 was one of the best festival line-ups i've ever seen) but still pretty good. Something for everybody, as per usual.

Elbow have moved to play below Coldplay on Saturday and Morrissey has taken their slot subbing for U2. Queens of the Stone Age are headlining the Other Stage on Sunday. But you don't need me to tell you, read the line-up!

If I don't get a ticket now in the resale i'll be gutted, was banking on it being a sh!t line-up so I wouldn't feel too bad about not going (even though that's completely missing the point of Glasto). Definitely liking the looks of The Low Anthem, Guillemots, Dan Mangan, Yuck, Nicolas Jaar, BB King, TV on the Radio, The Go! Team, Flogging Molly, Crystal Fighters, Crystal Castles and Laura Marling.

Kaiser Chiefs & White Lies, phew at least a couple of bands I've heard of...

Sometimes (OK all day) I hate the radio down here they play nowt except krap and never heard of a lot of the bands, but that's why I love going

Gonna be putting some miles on the Wellies

But nice to see a few Dubai gig veterans up on the list Time to do some research

Got a ticket in the resale :D

See you all at the Brothers bar!

Well done. I had to try 'cos my mate in UK got through at general sale, got 2 for me & GF but ours had to be on credit card and it threw him off when he tried to pay that way for his.

I never got through but I sent his details to an ex as she was going with her BF & we tried and no, nothing, nada, neither of us got through, then after sold out tried the inclusive coach & festival ticket route and bingo, she got my mate (plus her two) coach & festival tickets. The bad news (for him) is that he HAS to board the coach to get his tkt and it leaves LONDON at 5:30am on the Thursday lol. At least we can take most of his clobber down the night before.

Big relief as I felt really bad he spent 5 hours queuing and got nowt for himself! Also just saved me 1/3rd of the campervan hire cost - phew, result!

Brothers Bar & Cider Bus it is woo hoo!

Some good news, apparently no burger vans or food establishments that serve from 'catering vans' this year, all food outlets are to be of the tented variety and have to offer sheltered seating. Not sure if true but good if so. I would imagine the Cider Bus will be OK!

Some good news, apparently no burger vans or food establishments that serve from 'catering vans' this year, all food outlets are to be of the tented variety and have to offer sheltered seating. Not sure if true but good if so. I would imagine the Cider Bus will be OK!

I doubt very much that that's true. - We'd run out of room.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this serious? Why would that be good? It would be a bloody nightmare.

Is this serious? Why would that be good? It would be a bloody nightmare.

It's just a rumour i heard through one of the main stall holders, not sure if true but would only affect a few decent stalls and would get rid of the burger vans. Why would it be a nightmare? All the best food is served from tents anyway.

It's just a rumour i heard through one of the main stall holders, not sure if true but would only affect a few decent stalls and would get rid of the burger vans. Why would it be a nightmare? All the best food is served from tents anyway.

Because you wouldn't be able to walk anywhere for seats for one...

Only a few weeks left now, dead excited for Glasto this year!

Got a dilemma though for Saturday night:

Chemical Brothers on the Other Stage

OR

Newton Faulkner, Guillemots and Flogging Molly on the Avalon Stage.

I've seen Faulkner and Guillemots countless times but they're always quality live (Guillemots is an acoustic performance too which ought to be great), but not seen either Chems or Molly.

Help?

Only a few weeks left now, dead excited for Glasto this year!

Got a dilemma though for Saturday night:

Chemical Brothers on the Other Stage

OR

Newton Faulkner, Guillemots and Flogging Molly on the Avalon Stage.

I've seen Faulkner and Guillemots countless times but they're always quality live (Guillemots is an acoustic performance too which ought to be great), but not seen either Chems or Molly.

Help?

Go to You Tube google Chem Bors at Glasto, watch. No contest.

I am way too old to even remotely like Prodigy, had my deckchair on my back and ended up at the centre of a bouncing mass of humanity and it was STUNNING, if CB's are even half as good as that...

I have a similar problem, the GF hates anything House or heavier dance music wise (Rock Chick ex lead singer in a Heavy Rock band) and although they aren't my greatest favourite band, Coldplay played in Abu Dhabi 2 years ago in the most ridiculous tropical thunderstorm you could imagine with things blowing up everywhere and the band played on to produce probably THE greatest gig I have or will ever see. Just to have those memories back would be something.

IF only the Chem Bros clashed with Beyonce - who was GF's other MUST SEE act - until we saw her new Video on American Idol Wed night - it is awful a Hip Hop attempt to rip off Shakira, It was Horrid (Thank YOU God!) so may get to see Queens of Stone Age after all (phew), Down side to that is I want to see Kaiser CHiefs but have a mate here best buddies with Pendulum & he's set us up with mixer desk passes & afters.... arrgh

Can't I just sit in a field & drink Cider all day instead why the decisions!

I've watched various videos of them at Glasto, and I have to say it looks like it'll be great. I think in the end it will boil down to what I fancy most on that night.

And Beyonce's new song is awful, all she's done is say "Girls" over the top of a very good original remix by Major Lazer (which I recommend you listen to, it's an excellent track). Dirge.

I've watched various videos of them at Glasto, and I have to say it looks like it'll be great. I think in the end it will boil down to what I fancy most on that night.

And Beyonce's new song is awful, all she's done is say "Girls" over the top of a very good original remix by Major Lazer (which I recommend you listen to, it's an excellent track). Dirge.

Yep although American Idol is usually nasty US hyped tat, the past few weeks have been spectacular and a good help in turning the whole planning around

Oh & give it a year or so & providing he doesn't blow up, Scotty McReery could end up on West Holts, actually a real talent & I usually hate C&W. Compared to the Jedward X Factor nonsense they actually find proper singing talent!

Got the Pendulum invite but it will clash with Kaiser Chiefs who have never made it down here so not seen...

In my heart I know what I want to do but any suggestions?

But the Chem Bros were what got me interested at such a stupid old age in finally going to Glasto - it was the review of their gig that made me finally want to put up with switching from fantasy land to Medieval land 3 years ago. 52 years old & being voted as 24th best clubbing couples in Dubai in our arabic Hello mag I wanna get my hands in the air.. But when even the Coldplay official site said Abu Dhabi was their best ever gig... jeez.

May have to go see White Lies (2nd time) and hope the GF & mate can't be arsed with the walk to Pyramid

Also, never underestimate that "what you feel on the night moment"

Leonard Cohen was my #1 absolutely do not want to see choice couple of years back. Ended up at Cider Bus when he started went WTF and sat down to watch and it was THE hair standing up moment of the weekend.

Likewise I hate Rap sod seeing Jayzee from the minute I planned that whole weekend.... But the buzz & the vibe all weekend turned out to be about him - we went and the moment he walked out with the Acoustic guitar and did Wonderwall. Unforgettable

The Chemical Brothers on the main stage a few years were fantastic and the crowd were really up for it until some killjoy from the health and safety turned down the music, best lightshow as well, they were really going for it before that and the crowd were going mental, but i have to say Underworld on the main stage beat them for buzz and atmosphere, i reckon 90% of the crowd were on something and when 'King of Snake' and 'Born Slippy' were played it was one of my best Glastonbury moments.

Who are we all looking forward to seeing most then?

For me it has to be The Low Anthem, Guillemots, TV on the Radio, Crystal Fighters and Dan Mangan. So many of my favourite acts playing at Glasto this year!

The Cider Bus???

Being an old fart this one is more about immersing the new GF into the whole culture and vibe. So I'm looking for randomness (And desperately avoiding getting dragged to see Beyonce (I turned down free tickets when she was here & fooked if I want that to be my big last night moment)

So I want to be surprised, I want to see The Kaiser Chiefs having missed them "In their Heyday", Paul Simon & Morrisey after that not really that bothered maybe a special guest slot somewhere as they are alwys fun, my mate over in blighty is also digging around & researching, but will listen to Worthy FM, get the vibe on the day and be simply and wonderfully random for a change.

But then I had a scoot around the old pics & vids I took at that memorable night in Abu Dhabi, and although won't get so close, think I may just have to go and see Will Champion's Garage Band again...

Everything had blown up with the flooding from the massive thunderstorms, but the Band played on...

Will see if I can post a vid up but it's taken 4 hours so far and it ain't THAT long!

• 2 weeks later...

I played Golf here yesterday afternoon for 2 hours. It was 34C. I nearly died.

Have noticed the weather forecast for the rest of June.

Temperature expected to hit 33C in UK around the time of Glasto.

Oh great.

And to make it better strong likelihood of heavy thunderstorms in the evenings.

I played Golf here yesterday afternoon for 2 hours. It was 34C. I nearly died.

Have noticed the weather forecast for the rest of June.

Temperature expected to hit 33C in UK around the time of Glasto.

Oh great.

And to make it better strong likelihood of heavy thunderstorms in the evenings.

Truly amazing news, if true.

Truly amazing news, if true.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8550522/Wimbledon-and-Glastonbury-set-to-be-scorching.html

Wimbledon and Glastonbury set to be scorching

A heatwave has been predicted this month which forecasters say will see temperatures of over 91F (33C) for tennis fans and music lovers at Wimbledon and Glastonbury

being used to heat I'd already shipped some packets of Pocari Sweat over - a great Isotonic drink you can add to water.

If this is true then I'd suggest packing some of the Isostar tabs you can find in supermarkets to drop into water bottles to keep going

Note that I am only advocating dropping Isotonic drink tabs into bottles of water at Glasto, NOT dropping tabs into - ah hell whatever..

Have also packed a fleece gloves & wellies seeing as it's the UK Met Office

Edited by dubai_phil

• 2 weeks later...

GLASTONBURY SITE REPORT!

Back from Glastonbury after delivering my caravan to our compound yesterday, the site is a state, there was 3" of standing water where our caravan normally goes and i managed to get stuck on virgin grass (rescued by a tow from a lovely lady with a tele-handler).

This was my 10th or 11th year working and i've not seen the site this bad before the punters get there, bear in mind the grass is untouched in the arenas and looks lush but all the tracks and paths are caked in mud already, another 160,000 pairs of feet won't improve matters.

Even if i had a ticket i wouldn't go unless it gets 2-3 days of sun to dry the site, walking round is just knackering and then having nowhere to sit just takes the ****. Good luck to you all and if anybody get's into too much grief they can contact me through the forum and i may be able to help.

Behind the Pyramid Stage, under the water is the hardcore road!

img0512ms.jpg

I'll get more reports during the week, on all the wether forecast sites its looking like rain every day except tomorrow. It's not the being wet that's the problem its not being able to sit anywhere and it makes the journeys between stages bloody knackering, getting to The Park will be a tall order for most. Just remember to keep some dry clothes to sleep in and if necessary wear wet clothes again :-(

Looks like i'll be heading down to the site for gate opening on Wednesday morning (it's 8am, right?). Very excited!

Only problem with going early is that I now have to put up about 6 tents for various friends. So if anyone walks past me struggling, please help...

Apparently it's not improving mudwise at the moment, many rumblings from friends working down there about coming home due to conditions, and they've worked in wet conditions before down there so it must be pretty awful. It needs the wind to keep up and some sunshine.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8550522/Wimbledon-and-Glastonbury-set-to-be-scorching.html

being used to heat I'd already shipped some packets of Pocari Sweat over - a great Isotonic drink you can add to water.

If this is true then I'd suggest packing some of the Isostar tabs you can find in supermarkets to drop into water bottles to keep going

Note that I am only advocating dropping Isotonic drink tabs into bottles of water at Glasto, NOT dropping tabs into - ah hell whatever..

Have also packed a fleece gloves & wellies seeing as it's the UK Met Office

5 day forecast for Pilton on the Met office site say it will barely go over 20C and will mainly be showery. I have no idea what this article is based on.