And what did Redknapp get? Answers below...

positivepete

Excerpt from a piece in the Grauniad today ......

Futre was allocated the No16 shirt when he turned up for his debut for West Ham at Arsenal, but regarded it as insult and refused to get changed. "Futre," he started shouting, pointing to his chest. "Futre, No10."

Redknapp tried to talk him round but it turned into an argument and Futre was having none of it. "No f$cking 16," he carried on. "f$ck off. No 10, no play." True to his word, he then stormed out of Highbury and took a cab back to his hotel.

The following Monday he turned up (with a lawyer) at Upton Park and offered to pay £100,000 for his favourite number. Redknapp, by his own admission, was on the point of throttling him by that stage but eventually agreed to talk to John Moncur to see if he was willing to give it up. So Futre offered another sweetener. "He owned a villa, reportedly one of the most luxurious in Portugal, on a cliff-top on the coast and offered Moncur a fortnight there free if he handed over his shirt," Redknapp recalls. "To be honest, I don't think Moncur gave a monkey's what number he wore but he took the free holiday."

And what did Redknapp get?

I remember seeing Futre playing for WHU against us in August 1996(?) WHU beat us 2-1. Dicks penalty and think Heaney score for us.

Souness was our manager at the time, Beasant in goal (shivers)

Futre looked a class player that day, but seemed to vanish soon after.

My first ever game.

I remember seeing Futre playing for WHU against us in August 1996(?) WHU beat us 2-1. Dicks penalty and think Heaney score for us.

Souness was our manager at the time, Beasant in goal (shivers)

Futre looked a class player that day, but seemed to vanish soon after.

Wasn't it Futre who Franny Benali launched into space thus earning a Red Card?

I don't think he even bothered waiting for the ref to show the card - just walked!!