bye bye Michael Mifsud..

david in sweden

..after being tipped as a possible target in January and unofficially "training with Saints" and supposedly and getting a trial with Pompey..(must have been a nightmare in itself) ..SSN report that Michael Mifsud has returned to the land (or in his case... island) of his fathers, and will play for Maltese Premiership (LOL) side Valletta....or whatever level that is equivalent to ..?

With his talent and experience, I expect to see him win the Golden Boot as Europe's top scorer next season .

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I caught a few games in Malta when I was over there last month, one of which was Birkirkara v Sliema Wanderers, 1st v 3rd in the Premier League. I would suggest that they are on a par with the Conference or maybe League 2. Valetta have moved up the table and are now joint top with Birkirkara.

I would anticipate tht Valletta would be equivalent to the likes of Totton, Eastleigh?

My cousin played for Valletta back in the 60's.

I played against Valletta and George Lawerence's ex team Hibernians in Maltese league in the 90s , and beat them both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valletta_F.C.

Without any doubt Valletta's qualification to the first round proper of the European Cup in season 1999/2000 was the most successful participation ever, eliminating Barry Town of Wales 3-2 on aggregate. In season 2000/2001, Valletta just missed qualification in extra-time losing 8-6 on aggregate to Rijeka in the qualifying round of the UEFA Cup.

In the 2009/10 season, Valletta participated in the inaugural Europa League. They eliminated Keflavik 5-2 on aggregate before earning a credible 1-1 draw away to St Patrick's Athletic F.C. in the next round. Unfortunately, they lost the return leg 0-1 in Malta conceding a goal 10 minutes from time.

Bearing in mind League of Wales side Barry Town were, at the time, about the same standard as Newport County who were in the Southern League Premier (which is now the third tier of non-League and then was the second). And the League of Ireland (St Pat's) is probably slightly better than the League of Wales.

Maybe Mifsud has decided to enter the Maltese League on his own, to try to get himself into Europe ?

Bearing in mind League of Wales side Barry Town were, at the time, about the same standard as Newport County who were in the Southern League Premier (which is now the third tier of non-League and then was the second). And the League of Ireland (St Pat's) is probably slightly better than the League of Wales.

Maybe Mifsud has decided to enter the Maltese League on his own, to try to get himself into Europe ?

LOL

In Jan 2008 I saw Valletta beat a full strength Juventus on pens after a 1-1 draw. Might have been a friendly but Juve weren't happy and disappeared before receiving their runners up trophy! Also Valletta currently have Jordi Cruyff in the team so MM isn't their only 'celeb' player!

..after being tipped as a possible target in January and unofficially "training with Saints" and supposedly and getting a trial with Pompey..(must have been a nightmare in itself) ..SSN report that Michael Mifsud has returned to the land (or in his case... island) of his fathers, and will play for Maltese Premiership (LOL) side Valletta....or whatever level that is equivalent to ..?

With his talent and experience, I expect to see him win the Golden Boot as Europe's top scorer next season .

Are you not confusing him with Riquelme?