What's up with eating spinach?

1976_Child

Some times I don't get modern culinary fads. In my day spinach was not only a leafy delight but also a cosmic inter-stellar beam of rosemary and sausage all packaged in a mobile phone with one of those really annoying novelty ring tones. Since those halcyon days the spinach leaf has been brought back to earth and now has more in common with a transistor radio sitting on a bench behind a washing line. Sometimes it makes me sad that there is so much anti-spinach sentiment around these days. I mean what has spinach ever done to anyone except possibly invent the one armed bandit and swallow a whole giraffe sized igloo. I give up.

Spinach is renowneded for it's high Iron content. Hence the Popeye nonsense.

In actual fact the myth came from a misprint in a Marvel comic back in the early 1920's, where a misplaced decimal point put it at numver one in the Iron steaks.

Spinach actually has a lower Iron content than table salt. FACTOID

Spinach is renowneded for it's high Iron content. Hence the Popeye nonsense.

In actual fact the myth came from a misprint in a Marvel comic back in the early 1920's, where a misplaced decimal point put it at numver one in the Iron steaks.

Spinach actually has a lower Iron content than table salt. FACTOID

I read that you had to eat a roomful of Spinach to get any value out of it Iron wise. Similarly, you needed to drink a swimming pool's worth of guiness.