Polish President & Others Die in Plane Crash

dubai_phil

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Must be a massive blow for Poland losing half their leaders just like that. Incidentally that aircraft has an appaling safety record. I'm amazed the government of a relatively well developed country, like Poland, is flying it's VIPs around in them.

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/view_manu_details.cgi?aircraft=TU-154

Aren't all Tupolevs just flying coffins anyway, given the Russian engineers and designers?

It's had a devastating effect on the Polish people.

My GF and all her friends here have been in a state of shock all day.

So many questions as well, not least why did the pilot ignore the ATC advice to divert and then had the wrong descent path and airspeed.

Very very sad and leaves you really struggling to find the right thing to say to someone.

Aren't all Tupolevs just flying coffins anyway, given the Russian engineers and designers?

In its day it was a half decent aircraft, although it has never really been 'safe' by Western standards. The problem is it's day was 40 years ago. Russian pilots aren't known for their high standards either if I'm honnest. Russian airliners have crashed because kids were flying the plane and because both pilots were drunk.

In its day it was a half decent aircraft, although it has never really been 'safe' by Western standards. The problem is it's day was 40 years ago. Russian pilots aren't known for their high standards either if I'm honnest. Russian airliners have crashed because kids were flying the plane and because both pilots were drunk.

Designed for a different world though.

And one minor point - the pilots would have been Polish

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Also, I've heard, that although the language of the air is English, some Russian pilots have virtually no knowledge of it.

I believe that it has caused untold problems when under or not paid Russian pilots went to fly for other airlines in the middle East and elsewhere.

Correct. I was refering to history in general as opposed to this specific incident.

Ex EMEA VP of my ex multi-national tells the tale of his trip in a Babyflot plane. It landed on the runway and the emergency exit door fell into his lap. Apparently it was quite common.

The excuse on CNN was they wanted to upgrade to an Airbus or a Boeing but the cost was too high.

Always accountants that cause the pain and never carry the blame

And the irony is that they were on their way to commemorate the anniversary of hundreds of senior Polish military personel, and others, slaughtered at the hands of the Soviets during WWII - 1940, I believe - (something which had been denied until quite recently).

RIP to all those lost, in both sad events.

Edited by Minsk