'You only sing when you're five up!'

Miffy

Last nights paradox of a huge Saints win, but feeling deflated due to another result, reminded me of the last game of the 85-86 season at Everton. That time it was the opposite way round.

We travelled to Goodison Park safe in the knowledge that Saints had secured another season in the top division (Div 1 in those days). Everton, who had lead the league most of the year where lying 2nd, two points behind Liverpool, who were playing away at Chelsea. Portsmuff were also in with a good chance of being promoted up to Div 1.

Only about 500 Saints fans made the trip and stood on half empty terraces to watch Everton annihilate us. Everton were 5-0 up and Goodison was rocking, when news came through that Liverpool had gone 1-0 up and shortly afterwards Saints scored to make it 5-1. We were in bouyant mood as Portsmuff also looked likely to fail in the promotion bid. There were a number of amusing songs that day, but a loud chant of 'You only Sing When Your Five Up!'was the best, I believe it even got a mention on MOTD that night.

In the end we lost 6-1 (lineker scored 4, I think), Liverpool won the title, and Portsmuff failed to be promoted. Leaving the ground we were in great spirits and the Evertonians were well p!$$ed off.

One last memory of that time, was that one of Linekers goals was used in the following seasons MOTD title sequence, and I was in the shot (from a distance), so I had my own regular Saturday evening slot on BBC1.

Was anyone else at this match, and are my recollections accurate? Also I can't remember the details of Portsmuffs failure, but I think it was the result of an end of season collapse, so all the sweeter.

No but I was there in 1971 when we lost 8-0 in the freezing rain and some b*stard smashed the mini bus windscreen.

Happy days :rolleyes:

I was 13 at the time and went up on train with an older cousin. We were chased round Lime St station before the game. There was no crowd segregation and when the crowd around us realised we were laughing at the 4th & 5th going in before half-time, took pity on us, got me a beer and they supported Saints for the 2nd half.

Joe Royle got 4, David Johnson 3 and Bally scored and generally took the ****. Most people regard Leeds 7-0 later that season, as the worst away game ever, but I went to both and always regard Everton as the pits.

Graham Bloody Lovett!! :mad:

Last nights paradox of a huge Saints win, but feeling deflated due to another result, reminded me of the last game of the 85-86 season at Everton. That time it was the opposite way round.

We travelled to Goodison Park safe in the knowledge that Saints had secured another season in the top division (Div 1 in those days). Everton, who had lead the league most of the year where lying 2nd, two points behind Liverpool, who were playing away at Chelsea. Portsmuff were also in with a good chance of being promoted up to Div 1.

Only about 500 Saints fans made the trip and stood on half empty terraces to watch Everton annihilate us. Everton were 5-0 up and Goodison was rocking, when news came through that Liverpool had gone 1-0 up and shortly afterwards Saints scored to make it 5-1. We were in bouyant mood as Portsmuff also looked likely to fail in the promotion bid. There were a number of amusing songs that day, but a loud chant of 'You only Sing When Your Five Up!'was the best, I believe it even got a mention on MOTD that night.

In the end we lost 6-1 (lineker scored 4, I think), Liverpool won the title, and Portsmuff failed to be promoted. Leaving the ground we were in great spirits and the Evertonians were well p!$$ed off.

One last memory of that time, was that one of Linekers goals was used in the following seasons MOTD title sequence, and I was in the shot (from a distance), so I had my own regular Saturday evening slot on BBC1.

Was anyone else at this match, and are my recollections accurate? Also I can't remember the details of Portsmuffs failure, but I think it was the result of an end of season collapse, so all the sweeter.

You're absolutely right about this (in terms of MOTD commentary). I think it was Motson that said "Everton sing when they're 6-0 up, but Southampton sing when they're 6-0 down" or words to that effect. From memory, it was also one of those rare occasions when Saints wore an all in red combo (red shirts, red shorts and red socks). And as somebody else mentioned, yes it was poor old Keith Granger in goal.

Sad thing about this fixture is that just 2 years previous, we were by far a better team than the Toffees and should have gone on to win THAT FA Cup Semi Final, with all its inevitable subsequent successes...

Didn't we have 16 year old goalie Keith Granger between the sticks for that one in 1986?

it was in May 1986.

Reserve keeper Phil Kite had already been released, Shilton was not available and so 16 year old Keith Granger played his only 2 league games...fortunately for him ...both away ...and we lost 1-6 at Everton and 3-5 v. Tottenham.

it was in May 1986.

Reserve keeper Phil Kite had already been released, Shilton was not available and so 16 year old Keith Granger played his only 2 league games...fortunately for him ...both away ...and we lost 1-6 at Everton and 3-5 v. Tottenham.

I'd forgotton about Keith playing. I was both games so I may get a t-shirt printed. 'I saw Granger play....twice!'

I was there too that day. I'd travelled up on the official away supporters coach with a couple of friends. As I remember it, the home fans were making a lot of noise until our goal went in and then they went quiet. Rumour on the way home was that the Echo photographer had told them that Liverpool had just scored at Norwich and they were worried about that. It was priceless when some clever wag started the chant.

You're absolutely right about this (in terms of MOTD commentary). I think it was Motson that said "Everton sing when they're 6-0 up, but Southampton sing when they're 6-0 down" or words to that effect. From memory, it was also one of those rare occasions when Saints wore an all in red combo (red shirts, red shorts and red socks). And as somebody else mentioned, yes it was poor old Keith Granger in goal.

Sad thing about this fixture is that just 2 years previous, we were by far a better team than the Toffees and should have gone on to win THAT FA Cup Semi Final, with all its inevitable subsequent successes...

It was Barry Davies doing the commentary. He commented about the song specifically in his usual dry humour.