Sport politics

bungle

Standing at football isn't safe. Anyone and everyone that's ever stood on a terrace knows this. When a goal's scored there's a surge and people get shoved forward. Only last week at yeovil an elderly lady was knocked over and needed medical treatement.

Standing at football isn't safe. Anyone and everyone that's ever stood on a terrace knows this. When a goal's scored there's a surge and people get shoved forward. Only last week at yeovil an elderly lady was knocked over and needed medical treatement.

You are talking about standing on old style terraces. The debate should be about ways of MAKING standing safe, which is entirely possible.

The entire Northam stands at home games and I have never once felt unsafe.

You are talking about standing on old style terraces. The debate should be about ways of MAKING standing safe, which is entirely possible.

The entire Northam stands at home games and I have never once felt unsafe.

You're standing in a seated area, not a terrace. There can't be a surge as such because there is effectively a barrier between each row in terms of a seat.

I'm in favour of standing being brought back but that doesn't mean I have to lie and say it's safe.

You're standing in a seated area, not a terrace. There can't be a surge as such because there is effectively a barrier between each row in terms of a seat.

I'm in favour of standing being brought back but that doesn't mean I have to lie and say it's safe.

Exactly, so standing CAN be safe. What you said originally was "Standing at football isn't safe", but you have then given an example of one way in which it is much more safe.

So the point of the debate is trying to find ways in which standing can be both legal AND safe, which I think is entirely do-able.

Although I know the fact that the Lib's are the most supportive of a debate on this issue must go against the grain for you ;), surely opening it up to review can only be a good thing.

Exactly, so standing CAN be safe. What you said originally was "Standing at football isn't safe", but you have then given an example of one way in which it is much more safe.

So the point of the debate is trying to find ways in which standing can be both legal AND safe, which I think is entirely do-able.

Although I know the fact that the Lib's are the most supportive of a debate on this issue must go against the grain for you ;), surely opening it up to review can only be a good thing.

It's never coming back and we all know that so frankly it's a pointless debate.

I would have thought you would have known about safe standing areas in German football?

Pretty irrelevant but for those who like celebrity endorsments.

James Beattie

One of the few professional footballers to comment on politics, the £55,000 a week Stoke City striker said of the new 50% tax rate: “Obviously this tax hike is a big concern for me and other footballers. After everything that has happened with the economy we need a change of direction so I’ll vote Tory

Pretty irrelevant but for those who like celebrity endorsments.

James Beattie

One of the few professional footballers to comment on politics, the £55,000 a week Stoke City striker said of the new 50% tax rate: “Obviously this tax hike is a big concern for me and other footballers. After everything that has happened with the economy we need a change of direction so I’ll vote Tory

Until I read that, I had so much respect for his opinion.

A lot like this, as I recall.

safe%20standing.jpg

How could anybody argue that is not 'safe standing'? Everyone gets their own crash barrier and shows how standing at football can be easily achieved and should be immediately reinstated.

The only downside for some would be that it would obviously cut capacity in that area as 2 seats with a crash bar takes up significantly more room than without.

The upside, those that want to stand are satisfied, atmosphere at British grounds could finally return and, looking at that pic, it would have to be 'adults only' as when the seats had to be used (European matches) it looks like kids sitting in those seats wouldn't be able to see over the guy's head in front!