Lambert winner of fastest shot!

NickG

I'm not going to start a new thread for this observation, so I'll post it here.

I suppose I'm not the only person who must have noticed that Rickie has very much the same technique as MLT when taking a penalty. He can sidefoot and place with power, or pretty accurately slam the ball in with the middle of the foot.

I'm not going to start a new thread for this observation, so I'll post it here.

I suppose I'm not the only person who must have noticed that Rickie has very much the same technique as MLT when taking a penalty. He can sidefoot and place with power, or pretty accurately slam the ball in with the middle of the foot.

Well I was going to add to my comment that he "didn't even try" that it was a la MLT style but no need to bother now !

I remember MLT on the guiness book of records programme on bbc years back. They had to do this to see who had the fastest shot in the prem league. Ian Wright was presenting it at the time. I can't remember what other footballers took part. Anyone remember it and what MLT got?.

Does anyone know whether they ran this competition in the other regions, and if Ricky was still top? Be interesting to know how he compares with top players like Drogba and other players who could really leather it like Shearer.

If memory serves someone ( St Landrew?) said a while back it was just the BBC South/South West region.

Unofficial top ten according to the Guardian:

1) David Hirst - 114mph (for Sheffield Wednesday @ Arsenal on September 16 1996)

2) David Beckham - 97.9mph (for Manchester Utd v Chelsea on February 22 1997)

3) David Trezeguet - 96mph (for Monaco @ Man Utd on March 19 1998)

4) Richie Humphreys - 95.9mph (for Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa on August 17 1996)

5) Matt Le Tissier - 86.8mph (for Southampton v Newcastle on January 18 1997)

6) Alan Shearer - 85.8mph (for Newcastle v Leicester on February 2 1997)

7) Roberto Carlos - 85.2mph (for Brazil v France on June 3 1997)

8) Tugay - 84.2mph (for Blackburn @ Southampton on November 3 2001)

9) Obafemi Martins - 84mph (for Newcastle @ Tottenham on January 14 2007)

10) David Beckham - 80.5mph (for Man Utd @ Derby on September 4 1996)

http://thefootballknowledge.blogspot.com/2008/12/10-fastest-shot-ever-in-football.html

Good to see MLT in there.

There is no way David Hirst's shot was 114mph. He might have eaten a burger at 114mph but hit a ball? Surely not.

Still remember Tiss's one v Newcastle.

The last one in the 2-2? That was a ****ing exocet. Seemed to guide itself through a crowd of about 6 players. Abso-****ing-lutely-magical.

How the f*ck didn't Jimmy Floyd Hasselbiank get in there... I remember him having the hardest shot I've ever seen. 2 goals stand out 1 vs man u at Old Trafford, and one vs Arsenal at Highbury.

Which only leads one to wonder still further how they managed to get these figures ? JFH was in my opinion also at least on a par with any player I've seen in 45 years though fair to say the lighter balls clearly favour more recent players.

Which only leads one to wonder still further how they managed to get these figures ? JFH was in my opinion also at least on a par with any player I've seen in 45 years though fair to say the lighter balls clearly favour more recent players.

Estimates based on TV footage I would say.

Speed = D/T (Distance being the distance estimated from the player position on the pitch to where it reaches the goal and T being the time it takes to do this.)

There is no way David Hirst's shot was 114mph. He might have eaten a burger at 114mph but hit a ball? Surely not.

It was a volley, which should always be a faster shot than a one from the ground, and he did hit it bloody hard. According to his Wikipedia page (try reading the last paragraph without giggling), he has been usurped by Ronny of Sporting Lisbon who hit a 131mph free kick.

:rolleyes:

I know the video quality isn't great, but I can barely see the ball while it's moving.