BBC Predictor

SO16_Saint

Ended up with us beating Ghana and Uruguay then losing to Brazil in the semis.

I hope you're not planning on putting money on those selections...

Ghana and Uruguay's groups (D and A) are probably the tightest ones, any of the 4 could go through.

Starting to think this is going to be a REALLY defensive competition as well, most of the teams have terribly defensive line-ups, especially in Group D (except Germany). Quite looking forward to North Korea's "six defenders" though, my money's on "no goalscorer" for them v Portugal on June 21.

I hope you're not planning on putting money on those selections...

Ghana and Uruguay's groups (D and A) are probably the tightest ones, any of the 4 could go through.

Starting to think this is going to be a REALLY defensive competition as well, most of the teams have terribly defensive line-ups, especially in Group D (except Germany). Quite looking forward to North Korea's "six defenders" though, my money's on "no goalscorer" for them v Portugal on June 21.

I am terrible when it comes to betting, my last bet was £20 on over 4.5 goals in the FA cup final which went well - Chelsea hit the woodwork about six times and they both missed a penalty. I didn't really put too much thought into the predictor, there's no point wasting too much time on them.

Group A especially is really hard to call, France have some fantastic attacking options but they're held back by their manager. South Africa shouldn't do well on paper but the host nation always qualify for the knockout round. Uruguay are probably the best side of the lot with Forlan and Suarez they're going to score a lot of goals. Then there are Mexico who looked really good against us, I think they will suprise a few things. If I had to put money on it I'd say Uruguay and Mexico to qualify.

I agree about it being a heavily defensive world cup, you can usually rely on Brazil and Argentina to score a few goals but they both look like they're going to play a more defensive European style and most of the smaller nations seem to be lining up 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1.

Quite looking forward to seeing France play with Gourcoff, Ribery, Govou, Malouda and Anelka in the side. Same with Holland if Robben makes it back in time and they play Robben, Sneijder and Van der Vaart behind van Persie.

Most of the teams are reviewed quite indepth here - http://www.zonalmarking.net/category/worldcup2010/

I am terrible when it comes to betting, my last bet was £20 on over 4.5 goals in the FA cup final which went well - Chelsea hit the woodwork about six times and they both missed a penalty. I didn't really put too much thought into the predictor, there's no point wasting too much time on them.

Group A especially is really hard to call, France have some fantastic attacking options but they're held back by their manager. South Africa shouldn't do well on paper but the host nation always qualify for the knockout round. Uruguay are probably the best side of the lot with Forlan and Suarez they're going to score a lot of goals. Then there are Mexico who looked really good against us, I think they will suprise a few things. If I had to put money on it I'd say Uruguay and Mexico to qualify.

I agree about it being a heavily defensive world cup, you can usually rely on Brazil and Argentina to score a few goals but they both look like they're going to play a more defensive European style and most of the smaller nations seem to be lining up 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1.

Quite looking forward to seeing France play with Gourcoff, Ribery, Govou, Malouda and Anelka in the side. Same with Holland if Robben makes it back in time and they play Robben, Sneijder and Van der Vaart behind van Persie.

Most of the teams are reviewed quite indepth here - http://www.zonalmarking.net/category/worldcup2010/

Yeah, that's where I've been getting my stuff from, especially the bit about redesigning France's entire team around the Skate Diarra's absence - they should only allow one team to qualify from Group A. :)

Only just realised that the draw (unlike in previous years) in COMPLETELY split down the middle - i.e. A/B/C/D CAN'T play E/F/G/H until the Final. Previously I'm SURE they switched sides about at the semi-final stage to mix the A-D with E-H but they're not doing it this time.

What that basically means is as long as England win their group, they will play :

D2 in 2nd Round (prob Australia/Serbia/Ghana unless Germany mess up)

then in the QF the winner from the match between

A1 (winner of a terrible group with South Africa/Mexico/France/Uruguay)

and B2, (the runners-up from Nigeria/S Korea/Greece/Argentina).

You couldn't ask for a better pathway than that, really. I make it Australia (which could be tricky) and then South Korea or Mexico, it could be South Africa or France though.