Festivals

SuperMikey

Go on then, what's your festival record? Went to my first festival at the tender age of 13 and never looked back!

05 - T in the Park

06 - Reading

07 - Glastonbury

08 - Glastonbury, Reading

09 - Glastonbury

10 - Glastonbury, Reading

[GLASTOGUSHING]My favourite has to be Glasto, it's just such an amazing experience and if you've not been before, it'll be one of the best weekends of your life.[/GLASTOGUSHING]

Stonehenge,Reading,Monsters of Rock for a fews years and then the IOW. Didn't go this year as the line up was poor. Best is yet to come this year as we are off to the Burgas Music Festival in Bulgaria on the 1st night as we are on holiday there. Its right on the beach and The Prodigy are playing the 1st night. Apparently this is one of the best Festivals to go to.

A HUGE thanks for starting this thread.

Just spent a wonderfully nostalgic hour and a half on Google looking back at pics and reviews of my only 2 festivals .... going back to 1975.

My 1st was Pink Floyd at Knebworth Park. Quite an eclectic line up included Linda Lewis, Various members of Monty Pythons Flying Circus (sketches included Albatross, Dead Parrot). Roy Harper did an awesome set, half acoustic including the iconic "When an old cricketer leaves the crease" backed by The Brighouse and Rastrick (?) Orchestra and and then an electric set with Chris Spedding on guitar. The set revolved mainly around his HQ album. If you haven't heard it give it a whirl, one of my all time favs. He was smoking what has to be said the BIGGEST spliff ever and nearly caused a riot when he lobbed it half finished into the crowd!! Captain Beefheart was .... well Capt Beefheart. You either love him ofr hate him, luckily I'm in the former gang. To say he is wacky is an understatement though!!

Steve Miller band came and went, okay nothing special but as the summer evening sun was setting Floyd took the stage. We had arrived early doors in the morning an they opened the gates ahead of schedule due to the crowds already assembled so we got absolute prime spot about 30 metres back from the stage plum in the middle. Funny the fred about the Battle of Britain flight today as the start their show was heralded by 2 Spitfires doing a very low flypast over the crowd, awesome. Floyd were simply incredible. Sleeping in a field after being up for 36 hours of travelling, drinking, getting a numb bum, sun burnt, more drinking and partying came very easy. Waking up at 5am cold damp and very hungover was another story!! But was it worth it ... you bet your ass it was. I've seen Roger Waters since twice in Dubai doing the Floyd back catalog and Dark side of the moon and Echoes always takes me back to 75.

Next up a few months later was Reading 75 including acts such as Supertramp, Mahavisnu Orchestra, Caravan, Robin Trower Band, Thin Lizzy, Climax Blues Band, Hawkwind and Yes .... HippyTastic. Loved just looking thru the pics on Google. The flared jeans, cheesecloth shirts, desert boots, faded jean jackets, afghans and the hair!!! Highlights were YES with one of the first laser shows which was really enhanced by p!ssing down with rain and very low stratus cloud rebounding the lasers all over the show as if choreographed!! Strip washing in the sinks in Marks and Sparks toilets LOL and 'borrowing 'a load of small plates and saucers fom the cafe on reading staion .. we forgot to pack any between us!! Lowlight tent collapsing in the pouring rain whilst we were asleep (comatosed!!) after the YES set and waking up with our feet hanging out of the end of the tent and feeling freezing cold and er well wet!! The can/bottle throwing near the front of the stage. One of the main reasons I didn't get around to going to any more .. oh that and the usual toulet / washing facilities and rip off catering prices.

Sorry its such a long reply but those 2 occassions are amongst my happiest memories ever. Something that everybody should do at least once.

Edited by ericofarabia

I love festivals. For many, many years we used to go to the Sidmouth Festival as a family holiday. My girls grew up at the festival. Regularly still go to Towersey, Bromyard and the Oysterband Big Session Festival in Leicester. Summer is Festival time!! Last week we went to the Festival of History at Kellmarsh Hall in Northampton. Still buzzing now!! Looking forward to Broadlands on 7th - 8th August. http://www.eventplan.co.uk/Broadlands2010.htm

Edited by miserableoldgit

04 - Homelands

05 - Homelands, Global

06 - Hi-Fi, Global

07 - Reading, Global

08 - Glastonbury, Wireless

09 - Glastonbury, Fatboy Slim Beach Party

10 - Wireless

Highlight was probably the 09 Glasto.

Hoping to do Glasto again next year, although I'm thinking about going inter-railing and doubt i'd do both.

Glastonbury 1990?

Monsters of Rock '88

Monsters of Rock '90

Monsters of Rock '91

Monsters of Rock '92

Monsters of Rock '94

V Festival '96

V Festival '97

V Festival '98

V Festival '99

V Festival '00

V Festival '01