MOT Failure! Emissions

exit2

Not happy my Mondeo flew through the MOT apart from emissions. Not happy as been serviced regular and had a new CAT fitted 4 weeks ago.

Now have to take it to a place that will do a diagnostic assessment and then hopefully fix it.

So has anyone had this problem before and what is the min cost through to the max cost?

I bet it's the new Cat mate. They take some burning to start functioning properly. Obviously it's no problem on new cars as they go three years without an emissions test, but a month, especially a month at reasonable mileage, won't be long enough to get it working as it should. Go out, give it some serious beans, high revving in every gear, and then a long blast on the motorway. That will help.

I bet it's the new Cat mate. They take some burning to start functioning properly. Obviously it's no problem on new cars as they go three years without an emissions test, but a month, especially a month at reasonable mileage, won't be long enough to get it working as it should. Go out, give it some serious beans, high revving in every gear, and then a long blast on the motorway. That will help.

The garage poured some stuff in the petrol tank and I took up the motorway at XXXXXX mph! Brought it back and they tested and no different. So having a Crypton diag and tune on Monday so will see. But I hope your right!

ours has only done 49k miles! and is 8 yrs old

Ours is also 8 years old, we've had it a year, and it's done 67k (just over 25k since we got it). It's the 2.0 Zetec model; I don't know if that's the same as yours but the engine pulls quite well.

Before you completely condemn the catalyst converter, have you had the Lambda sensor checked..? If that's faulty the engine management could revert to another program and the emissions could be changed.

Yeah I had a car that failed it's emissions test a few years ago, the lambda sensor was the problem in my case.

The program that St Landrew refers to is commonly called the "Limp Home" program. The owner may not detect the change in performance and only find out when things like the emissions are checked on the M O T. You may notice that the mpg goes down, and a change in driving characteristics occurs. The Limp Home program takes over when a fault occurs so that you can indeed get home and not breakdown on the road.

Ponty wins!

Faulty CAT even though it was installed 4 weeks ago. Have had that replaced and passed with flying colours! Only problem I have now is getting the daignostic fee back from the garage

The big question is, what made the other one fail so soon?

The big question is, what made the other one fail so soon?

Was just a faulty batch. They have had 3 returned for various faults.

I was very impressed with the diag the garage gave me as it showed everything in the car is spot on.