Shares

dune

I notice there's been another operational update from Desire that has sent the sp tumbling to around 37p. Great time to buy providing you jump before they discover more sand. Reckon you'll get sub 33p before the day is out.

HMV not looking to good Dune?

I'm quite surprised the IMS has been so bad for the Christmas period. I gave up on them the other week after recouping most of my losses by catching the falling knife perfectly and selling on the subsequent peak, but this share gave me too much concern so I won't be touching it with a bargepole.

I see Bahamas Petroleum is begining to reflect the potential. Gutted I can't buy into this through an ISA.:x

Sold a few shares yesterday around 16.00 to 16.30 after some nice rises (thinking we could see them all fall back again) and looking at the days movements thus far am glad I did. I'm looking for some more opportunities now..

Edited by dune

Ivory Coast is now firmly on my radar. I'd like to see tensions escalate towards a civil war because this would present some fantastic opportunities in other more stable regions. At present the situation is on a knife edge and I wouldn't read too much into the claims from African leaders of a deal being brokered - African leaders are notoriously innefective in dealing with their own continent!

Randgold could be bought for a snip at some point, but not yet. I'm looking at somewhere around 4500 as an entry point.

CNE worth watching.

Cairn Secures rigs for 2011 Greenland Exploration

RNS Number : 8204Y

Cairn Energy PLC

04 January 2011

EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE AT 0700 4 JANUARY 2011

CAIRN ENERGY PLC ("Cairn")

Cairn secures rigs for 2011 Greenland Exploration

Cairn has secured two state of the art dynamically positioned drilling vessels for its 2011 dual rig exploration programme offshore Greenland.

The "Leiv Eiriksson", a fifth generation semi-submersible drilling rig and the "Ocean Rig Corcovado", a sixth generation drillship, have been contracted to operate in the 2011 drilling season on Cairn's offshore Greenland exploration programme. Both drilling vessels are operated by Ocean Rig.

Subject to approval from the Government of Greenland, Cairn intends to drill up to four wells in 2011. Further details on the exploration programme will be provided in Cairn's next operational update.

To provide the immediate liquidity required to enable the group to agree these contracts, Cairn has entered into a stand-by secured revolving debt facility of US $900 million that will also provide funding for general corporate purposes. The facility is provided by Standard Chartered Bank, Bank of Scotland Plc, Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, HSBC Bank PLC and Société Générale.

Sir Bill Gammell, Chief Executive said:

"By contracting two vessels for the Greenland exploration programme Cairn has increased operational capability and flexibility and continues to demonstrate its focus on safety. We look forward to drilling up to four exploration wells offshore Greenland during 2011."

Ivory Coast is now firmly on my radar. I'd like to see tensions escalate towards a civil war because this would present some fantastic opportunities in other more stable regions. At present the situation is on a knife edge and I wouldn't read too much into the claims from African leaders of a deal being brokered - African leaders are notoriously innefective in dealing with their own continent!

Randgold could be bought for a snip at some point, but not yet. I'm looking at somewhere around 4500 as an entry point.

So you'd wish civil war, and death and destruction, on thousands and people so that you can make a cheap buck. You really are a low life.

So you'd wish civil war, and death and destruction, on thousands and people so that you can make a cheap buck.

Not all, but that is the situation and it does present opportunities. An escalation in the crisis, but ultimately a resolution would mean that Randgold shares could be picked up cheaply, a full scale civil war (basically taking Ivory Coast out of the mining sector) would benefit investment elsewhere.

You've always got to look on the brightside and take the positives from the negatives.:)

Not all, but that is the situation and it does present opportunities. An escalation in the crisis, but ultimately a resolution would mean that Randgold shares could be picked up cheaply, a full scale civil war (basically taking Ivory Coast out of the mining sector) would benefit investment elsewhere.

You've always got to look on the brightside and take the positives from the negatives.:)

As I say, you are an utter low life.

I like a risk, enjoy reading about business and the markets but have no experience of buying and trading shares. How should I get started? Best websites? Initial costs and so on.

I imagine I'd start with a few hundred quid and see how it goes, but ideally I'd like to get to the stage where I invest a portion of each month's salary.

I've made do with football gambling for ages, which I do OK at, always a profit anyway, but it's never going to bring in proper money.

Any advice appreciated.

A friend of mine trades a lot using a site called motleyfool I think, although I didn't understand half of what he said.

Buying/Selling generally cost £7.50 per trade or 1% (whichever is greatest) so it's wasteful to trade in smaller amounts than £750. Then you've got stamp duty. Invest through an ISA which allows up £10,200 investment p.a (as oposed to only £5,100 in a cash ISA) and you don't pay CTG tax. I use TheShareCentre, but there are other online brokers you can use.

Invested in Cairn Energy this morning (200 shares or £873.90 @ 436.95 + commision of £8.74 & stamp duty of £4.37 = £887.01) for e.g.

Edited by dune

Arggggghhhhh. The website I use has just gone down halfway through a purchase in an Ethiopian gold mine. Word has it that many of the buys have been showing up as sells and me being very suspicious of such tactics couldn't resist the punt. Now i've got to wait to see whether the purchase has gone through. Very annoying.

Personally, I like the writtings of Warren Buffett

He knows a thing or two about investing

He likes his penny shares, good management, and no debt. The trouble with a lot of these investments is that most of them aren't available through an ISA. There are loads of opportunities i'd love to invest in, but can't.

NYO look to be an attractive investement with extensive tenements in the country and a very good board of directors. Ethiopia has long been one of the more progressive African countries with a Christian majority and they welcome foreign investment. With Civil war a distinct possibilty in the Ivory Coast this could be very beneficial to mining interests away from the west coast.

They are building up an impressive portfolio and IMO all the conditions are perfect for sucess.

http://www.nyotaminerals.com/index.php

Edited by dune

Arggggghhhhh. The website I use has just gone down halfway through a purchase in an Ethiopian gold mine. Word has it that many of the buys have been showing up as sells and me being very suspicious of such tactics couldn't resist the punt. Now i've got to wait to see whether the purchase has gone through. Very annoying.

haven't they just found the biggest gold deposits in the world (or one of the biggest) in Ethiopia?

haven't they just found the biggest gold deposits in the world (or one of the biggest) in Ethiopia?

They're only at an early stage BUT the board of directors are very professional and are not the sort to over hype something (based on the exemplery conduct thus far). Large deposits have been found in Tulu Kapi, but this is only the first string in their bow to be twanged...

http://www.nyotaminerals.com/index.php

http://www.nyotaminerals.com/files/pdf-23122010NYOinterestinregionalportfolio_1.pdf

Speaking today in relation to the Transaction, Nyota’s CEO Terry Tucker said:

“We are delighted at being able to consolidate our holding in this very promising regional tenement

package, cementing our footprint over what is rapidly becoming an area of interest for international

exploration and mining companies. Together with our continuing work at Tulu Kapi and the

commencement of our regional drilling programme on Nyota’s other nearby regional tenements, we

intend to move rapidly in pursuing targets identified from our recent airborne survey and data

compilation in the early part of next year and in seeking other gold discoveries on what we consider to

be highly prospective ground.”

Edited by dune

the board of directors are very professional!!!!! Are they now? I am sure that the board of directors of Bre-X were thought to be very professional at one time, that is until people started falling out of helicopters.

Have you done any research that makes you doubt my research?

another decenet day eto, hwdn, avon ticking up shame afr fell slightly

We now just need a civil war in Ivory Coast and our mining shares (away from West Africa) should do well with them out of the equation. That said i'm closely monitoring the situation and looking to buy into Randgold at the right price!

dune. would you agree that sometimes one can be so close to something that you can miss the thing that you are looking for?

i was right about the potatoes and you were right that it would be difficult to pin down a company who's value will rise on the back of it. then again, if i were into shares i might want to spend a bit of time looking onto it.

that's not the reason for my intrusion though.

i have another obvious tip for you and all the other specualtors here. bicycles:

last year the UK bought 1 million more bicylc;les than the previous year. imho this trend will not subside for some tiome to come so get on your bikes all you capitalists.

dune. would you agree that sometimes one can be so close to something that you can miss the thing that you are looking for?

i was right about the potatoes and you were right that it would be difficult to pin down a company who's value will rise on the back of it. then again, if i were into shares i might want to spend a bit of time looking onto it.

that's not the reason for my intrusion though.

i have another obvious tip for you and all the other specualtors here. bicycles:

last year the UK bought 1 million more bicylc;les than the previous year. imho this trend will not subside for some tiome to come so get on your bikes all you capitalists.

r.e potatoes i said you'd struggle to find a producer, but would be better looking at a seed producer. There are clearly options here.

I'm a big supporter of genetically modified crops because with the worlds population increasing so much there will come a time when even the idiotic leftwing types will have to concede that disease resistant crops is the only way to create high yield harvests.

Food production is already under pressure so genetically modified seed production is going to be the most important industry of this century along with energy, be that renewable or fossil fuel.

Thanks Hamster, i've just decided in which area i'll next be investing and it complies perfectly with my ideology in investing in areas that tree huggers hate.:)

Now it's time to start researching, i'll be back with some suitable suggestions....

Thanks Hamster, i've just decided in which area i'll next be investing and it complies perfectly with my ideology in investing in areas that tree huggers hate.:)

Now it's time to start researching, i'll be back with some suitable suggestions....

Not bicycles then?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F40E16FA3F5913718DDDAB0994DE405B848CF1D3

"The sales of bicycles thus far this year show an increase of about 40 per cent. compared with a year ago."

Halfords are one of the uk'[s biggest sellers and people much prefer buying from a shop so i'd go with them.

i did ask a while back on this thread about any sites that do fantasy share dealing, i'd be interested in joining a swf group if anyone sets one up please.

Two big listed companies supply genetically-modified seed worldwide – America's Monsanto (NYSE: MON) and Switzerland's Syngenta (NYSE: SYT).

http://www.monsanto.com/whoweare/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.syngenta.com/global/corporate/en/Pages/home.aspx

I really like the look of Syngenta and theyir shares are really performing very well...

http://qfx.quartalflife.com/clients/(S(zakcyl45ajvo1w45vofmlo55))/ch/syngenta/sm6/Default.aspx?culture=en-US#

Will have to ring up my dealer to complete this deal as it's not available online.

As for Halfords I have them on my watch list but they're going nowhere fast - a bit like a bloody push bike.;)

pity that Brompton bicycles is in private hands i guess, they are gonna be leading the commuter/folding bike leaders imo in particular for london commuters who tend to go for trendy brands to impress their city mates. there must be others though.

Dune, if you think you are so good trading, why not go and work for a stockbroker?

There's no need to be sarcastic. I'm just interested in it, nothing more. Don't read my posts if all you want to do is sneer.

Well a strange week, my smaller investments doing well eto + hwdn (trading statement next week) the stars, my bigger investmentments a bit sluggish until mml put a spurt on. Avon looking set for the next leg up next week....

Interesting article. The problems in West Africa have no doubt impacted on the SP over the last few days presenting more of a risk (and also more of an opportunity). I get lot's of sneering comments so i'm not going to tip it, but for those who are interested it's one worth puting on the watch list.

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/24406/cluff-gold-set-for-pivotal-2011-evolution-securities-24406.html

My Hot Tip for 2011

I've been scouring the mining sector for s company that hasn't done well, but with real potential to do well. I still fancy Arian silver to keep progressing (up 70% since I tipped them) but I really like the potential of CRND. Whilst we all know the forthcoming news for the early part of 2011, regarding production increase / installation of equipments at the main pits, some may have overlooked the rest of the companies other potential for the latter part of 2011 - cmr east, city deep, village main, crown mines , Kimberley and white reef. Independent Scoping studies into the feasibility of developing CMR East are currently underway and results are expected early in the new year. If these studies show that cmr east has good resource we could have a significant sp rise.

2011 is going to be this company's year IMHO. You can thank me for this tip this time next year.

I'm in at 2.3p and I expect a significant profit.

What are your high risk (potential high gain) tips?

:smug:

Up 30% and rising.

So what is behind today's increase?

Ramping probably. It's a very dodgy share that has bitten a lot of people, but I bought 100k @ 2.3 and it's now 3 and there have been some encouraging buys today so it's got some in it yet. Have put a stop loss on it just in case.