Shares

dune

So you were insider dealing then.

That is 7 years bird and 5 times your illegal gains.

You post this on a message board? I would not do that.

Best of luck.

Insider trading is very hard to prove. The posters partner would have to be pretty high up to have any true 'inside' info, the equity analysts that cover these companies spend a lot of time and money being ITK. That said if the partner were on that 'insiders list' then deep do do!

I've done banking shares for the last couple of years but I'm bored of them now - really aren't worth the time.

I like the sound of BP though - might have a punt at them. I've just taken out a mortgage for more than I needed so I've got some money to play around with so I might have a play around on a rainy day!

Whats the best website to use?

I use lse.co.uk at the moment which seems pretty good. I don't like the complexity of some of the websites.

Increased my holding in HMV to 2000 yesterday at 44.25p and seen a lovely rise to 47p today. I reckon the short selling could be over and it'll be uphill now until Christmas (the busiest period). Reckon it'll hit 80p and then i'll jump.

ITV are looking a very good punt atm and just noticed someone bought 4.5 mil shares at the close so it'd be worth getting in first thing tomorrow morning.

Edit; also just noticed on a shares forum this little snippet..

With rumours of a potential bid for Games Group of £1.25 per share, Games SP almost twice the price of HMV, with almost 8 buyers to 1 seller today, me thinks something fishy going on. I wonder if there is a potential predator in the wings ready to eat up HMV on the cheap. We HMV shareholders should stick together and not accept a penny less than £1.50 a share

Interesting....

Edited by dune

Another 100% loss

ROK went into administration, and there was not a single clue before it happned

Shame, worked for them for a bit, but they were always a bit "fur coat, no knickers" - triumph of image over substance. They posted a 3.8m loss for the first 6 months this year which should have set a few questions, although for a half billion turnover plc, on the face of it i suppose it's not too much of a problem. There must be a big pile of ****e in their accounts that has been covered up.

Knew that they were loss making, plus they had that issue with their Plumbing divion earlier in the year

However, recently they had announced new contract wins and several of their directors invested their own money in shares in the past few weeks

Unusual that they just fell over so soon after a trading update

I may be making a huge mistake, but I like a gamble, and i'm currently buying in African Consolidate Resources and with a view to building up a holding worth £2,000 @ 10p/share. This is a long term investment and there is a realistic possibility it could end up 200p/share+ or the company fold. It all depends on what happens in Rhodesia politically, and i'm pleased that David Cameron has brought the subject of rogue African states up with the Chinese. China pulls Mugabes strings, and it's China that are buying the blood diamonds extracted from the Marange field that is thr rightful property of ACR. With the KP ruling that Rhodesia cannot sell the diamonds on the open market just last week, any pressure from China would be much appreciated. That all said i'll smoke a big fat cigar when I hear of Mugabes death as what is really required is a period of civil war with the MDC winning. That's the best hope for the Rhodesian courts honouring their obligations.

I may be making a huge mistake, but I like a gamble, and i'm currently buying in African Consolidate Resources and with a view to building up a holding worth £2,000 @ 10p/share. This is a long term investment and there is a realistic possibility it could end up 200p/share+ or the company fold. It all depends on what happens in Rhodesia politically, and i'm pleased that David Cameron has brought the subject of rogue African states up with the Chinese. China pulls Mugabes strings, and it's China that are buying the blood diamonds extracted from the Marange field that is thr rightful property of ACR. With the KP ruling that Rhodesia cannot sell the diamonds on the open market just last week, any pressure from China would be much appreciated. That all said i'll smoke a big fat cigar when I hear of Mugabes death as what is really required is a period of civil war with the MDC winning. That's the best hope for the Rhodesian courts honouring their obligations.

I think there is more chance of me having a two's up with Kylie and Dannii Minogue than this making you rich.

I think there is more chance of me having a two's up with Kylie and Dannii Minogue than this making you rich.

That is the accepted view, and that is why the shares are so cheap, but I see an opportunity if the country becomes stable.

http://blog.gregvalerio.com/2010/08/24/interview-with-andrew-cranswick-ceo-of-africa-consolidated-resources-on-acrs-concession-for-diamonds-in-zimbabwe/

Just noticed this thread. I have done very well on two shares in particular, Medusa Mining (mml) and afren (afr) both can be placed inside an isa. A stock worth looking into is entertainment one (eto) I am yet to buy but will soon. All in my opinion of course. Good luck all.

Good results from ITV with revenues increasing and debt decreasing, although the SP did drop (which i'm happy about as it keeps the window of opportunity open longer). This is still a great long term investment imo and now is a great time to get in there.

I'm liking the look of Arian Silver. Reckon there's still plenty left in this for a quick profit. I'm in profit here, and am considering jumping at 39p, but at the same time with productn about to commence and with Silver continuing to strengthen thanks to the money markets, i'm also thinking I should hang on in there. decisions decisions.

Edited by dune

Anyone like high risk, high returns.......?

Take a punt on JJB or Yell!? Both very cheap (if, if, if they survive)

Also Taylor Wimpey look v.good at 25p! Just announced a new finance deal and positive vibes all around the company. Broker tips aplenty too!!

SP seems depressed for no reason....could bounce back fast!

Anyone like high risk, high returns.......?

Take a punt on JJB or Yell!? Both very cheap (if, if, if they survive)

Also Taylor Wimpey look v.good at 25p! Just announced a new finance deal and positive vibes all around the company. Broker tips aplenty too!!

SP seems depressed for no reason....could bounce back fast!

Not a bad retrun on JJB since i put it on my watch list ^29%.

An update on my tips...

Asian Citrus Holdings ^ 9%

Arian Silver ^ 2%

Silver spruce ^ 25%

Cleardebt ^ 23%

ITV ^ 4%

North America Palladium ^ 9%

I won't mention the ones that have gone down.

And todays tip is Polo Resources.

And i'm going to join the club and have a smallish punt on Desire Petroleum. At 133p it's still a good price if they've hit the jackpot, but after so many flase hopes being raised it'd be foolish (or incredibly smart...) to go in big. 125p is the most i'll pay though.

For Immediate Release 2 December 2010

Drilling Update

Rachel North Exploration Well 14/15-2

Oil Discovery

Desire Petroleum plc (AIM DES) the oil and gas company wholly focussed on the North Falkland Basin, wishes to advise that the 14/15-2 Rachel North well has reached a total depth of 3052 metres.

Preliminary data collected indicate that this well is an oil discovery. The company has run an initial suite of wireline logs and this together with the drilling data indicate that the well encountered a 349 metres gross interval from 2621 metres to 2970 metres of sands and shales with hydrocarbons ,of which 57 metres is net pay in multiple zones. The thickest zone is 8 metres thick with an average porosity of 20% . Other zones are thinly bedded and lower porosity but require further analysis from additional wireline logs to establish reservoir potential.

Desire now intends to complete the wireline logging and wireline sampling programme to obtain more information on the reservoir quality, the hydrocarbon saturations and the fluid type to assess the significance of this discovery. Further information will be released in due course.

Commenting on the well, Stephen Phipps Chairman of Desire said, "It is highly encouraging that the initial results from the Rachel North well endorse both our findings and geological model from the previously drilled Rachel sidetrack well. This discovery combined with Rockhoppers' Sea Lion discovery confirms our belief that the eastern flank play fairway in the North Falkland Basin is highly prospective and that further oil fields will be discovered in this area".

Subsurface support is provided to Desire Petroleum by Senergy (GB) Ltd and the results reported today are based on the work of the Senergy operations team.

This statement has been approved by Dr Ian Duncan of Desire Petroleum plc, who is a Fellow of the Geological Society, Chartered Geologist, and a member of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists with over 35 years experience in petroleum exploration and management.

Edited by dune

Dune, have a look at medusa mining mml, decent co. shares price flying in Oz as I type.......

https://www.share.com/cgi-bin/oicgi.exe/inet_tsc_dl2?epic=MML

Closed strongly on Friday so maybe it's the Ozzies catching up. I'll keep a tab on it, but i've already got my gold/silver mine eggs in Arian Silver and i'm gonna stick with that. I just have a feeling that the gold spot price can't get much higher and I am wary about buying on what could be the crest of the wave. I'm more interested in silver because a) it's running out b) it has technical uses so post slump it has a use c) it has been undervalued for years and it's my view that it will one day break away from the shackle of mirroring the gold spot price.

ATM i'm being drawn to the insurance sector and have put my money where my mouth is into Prudential and will continue buying if the sp remains around the 600p mark. They are targeting the Asian market very strongly and for that reason I can see them being taken over at some stage by the Chinese which would deliver a reasonable return. They're a well run company that are imo a safe bet.

This one interests me.

https://www.share.com/cgi-bin/oicgi.exe/inet_tsc_dl2?epic=NBR

The Company's efforts to raise capital continues and in the meantime the Directors are continuing to fund the company with interest free unsecured loans which currently total £810,000. A further report on the company's progress will be announced in due course.

Lord Sheppard is the Chairman (former boss of grand met) and I can't see someone with such experience throwing good money after bad which leads me to think this could have potential and with the SP at 2.38p now could be a good time to make a modest speculative investment.

An update on my tips...

Asian Citrus Holdings ^ 9%

Arian Silver ^ 2%

Silver spruce ^ 25%

Cleardebt ^ 23%

ITV ^ 4%

North America Palladium ^ 9%

I won't mention the ones that have gone down.

And todays tip is Polo Resources.

I have been following this to see how you get on and I think you need to give the downs for a bit of perspective.

I have been following this to see how you get on and I think you need to give the downs for a bit of perspective.

No real downs, HMV have hovered around the 45-47p mark and i've cooled on them as i'd expected more in the run up to Christmas and ITV have held their ground and after a slight dip are now solidly around 70p. I still think it's a good investment if you hold and allow Adam crozier to keep paying off the debt as part of the 5 year plan.

African Consolidated Resources are down 8%, and I did say this was really dodgy and isn't a short term thing, but the huge potential is still there and it has loyal shareholders that are clinging to the hope that justice wins through eventually and in time a democratic Rhodesian governemnt honour the legal right ACR holds over the Marange field. I'm an optimist and one day Rhodesia will hopefully want to rejoin the global community for it's own sake. If they want above board inward investment they will have to give confidence to investors. ACR would rise by circa 1000% if it could do what it should legally be allowed to do.

Edited by dune

Dune, what divvy are your shares paying you?

Not a lot. Dividends don't really interest me. Where the bulk of my money is there is no dividend.

Close Brothers look good if you're into your dividends, but not for me.

So you're into short term holdings. basing everything on book values and happy to take a CGT hit? I guess AIM is of no interest then or is it? It is also worth remembering that all is not lost if a share bombs, as you can off-set your losses. Do you find the self-assessment forms a bit of a pain?

So you're into short term holdings. basing everything on book values and happy to take a CGT hit? I guess AIM is of no interest then or is it? It is also worth remembering that all is not lost if a share bombs, as you can off-set your losses. Do you find the self-assessment forms a bit of a pain?

I do it through an ISA which allows £10,200 investment p.a in what has been described as "a shark cage" so no CGT. It's just a hobby and I enjoy looking for the obscure companies away from crowd. To quote an old polish peasant proverb "eagles fly high and sheep flock together".;)

ah-ha. For some reason I thought that you were doing this above and beyond an ISA.

Nah, but I have a 5 year plan.;) If you have any hot tips let me know because I couldn't refuse selling my Arian shares today after a 12.7% rise on the day making an overall 21% gain. Maybe I jumped too soon, but thought best not be greedy and leave something in it for next man.

I notice C&W UK is up 2.4% (possibly a good buy given the govt. talk about Britain becoming a European leader with high speed internet for all), but I fancy C&W worldwide as I have hunch that the deal they've struck in India could grow if they do a good job and the fact some Indians have a soft spot for colonial rule and the good it did for them and C&W were the company that brought communication to the Empire. David Camerons recent trip there and to China could well benefit this company.

There's an IMS tomorrow and there is a view that it won't be that good news re sales for the last period, so the SP could drop to circa 39p or could rise to 50p'ish if it's good news. You've also got to factor in the shortselling (that seems to have now stopped) and the stake recently bought by Alexander Mamut suggesting that the short selling was a precursor to a looming takeover. For this reason i've decided to go in with 25% of my war chest today at 44.10p and keep 75% of my powder dry if the sp drops 40p. From reports from shareholders HMV and Waterstones have been busy of late so either way I think the SP will bounce back after the new year when the xmas figures are released. If (and when) the takeover does happen i'd expect an offer and acceptance circa 80p so all considered (including consideration of the very generous dividend) i'd say now is a good time to get in there.

Certainly one for the watch list at any rate as I think we're nearing the end game and a takeover approach now the shortsellers have exhausted their little ploy. This is no jjb mickey mouse outfit, it's a completely undervalued and manipulated SP and is imo completely falsely low. After cooling on it for a bit i'm now convinced, all thigs considered, this is a strong buy.

Edited by dune