Why no first teamers in reserves game this afternoon?

trousers

I see that there are no players from the 'established' first team playing in the reserve game against QPR this afternoon (14:00 kick-off).

My first thought when I saw the squad was: "Given the CCC break wouldn't this have been a good opportunity to play a team made up of predominantly first teamers to keep the match fitness momentum going and to help iron out the deficiencies from Saturday in a competitive situation ?"

Then I read the following quote from Wotte: "We're hoping they (QPR) will field several first team players".

I'm confused....... If we're hoping QPR field some first teamers this must be based on sound reasoning that playing first teamers is a logical thing to do during an international break.....yet we don't see the need to do it ourselves.....?

I'm either missing something or thinking too hard.

Or both....

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/article.php?page_id=10714

New signing Ryan Smith will be involved for the first time this afternoon as Mark Wotte's Reserve side take on Q.P.R. (Kick-off: 14:00)

It will be the first chance for the Dutch coach to see Smith in Saints colours, although he was already involved in the Reserves last fixture.

That match saw Saints record a 3-1 against Millwall at Staplewood, and Smith lined up for the Lions, but as Mark Wotte explains, Smith was already on Jan Poortvliet's radar.

"We'd already made contact and it was another chance for us to see Ryan in action," he said.

"He's a talented player - skillful and fast and he said he was pleased with the way we played. We needs the ball passed to his feet and has done very well in the past.

"Now he's here he'll be looking to prove himself and we'll polish him up and make him shine again."

This afternoon's Reserve fixture sees Saints take on another London side, and Wotte is expecting a worthwhile challenge at Loftus Road against and experienced Rangers team.

"We're hoping they will field several first team players and that will mean a good opportunity to test our players against Championship standard opposition.

"Ryan Smith will probably start on the left of midfield, but he may well switch sides at some point."

"Oscar Gobern will be back from injury, which is a boost, and Callum McNish will also be involved. They are still only 16 or 17 so it will be a good experience for them."

Saints Reserves: (From) Tommy Forecast, Jamie Hatch, Jeffrey Imudia, Kyle Davies, Ben Reeves, Callum McNish, Jake Thomson, Jamie White, Ryan Smith, Tony Garrod, Andrej Pernecky, Kayne McLaggon, Lukas Stiklakis, Sam Argent, Oscar Gobern, Matt Paterson.

Also....another observation.....no Skacel in the reserves either this time....surely his (supposed) match day appearance bonus doesn't stretch to reserve games, does it?

This for me is the key concern/ confusion. I take it from this decision that he really isn't considered as an option for the first team, otherwise he is desperately in need of match fitness yet he isn't being given that opportunity.

I'm really confused why we haven't made every effort to offload him on loan again, if we aren't gong to use him.

This for me is the key concern/ confusion. I take it from this decision that he really isn't considered as an option for the first team, otherwise he is desperately in need of match fitness yet he isn't being given that opportunity.

I'm really confused why we haven't made every effort to offload him on loan again, if we aren't gong to use him.

And how do you offload someone you won't even put in the store room window, let alone in the shop window.

Perhaps he's unoffloadable..:smt012:smt012

In which case, if Rudi cares about his football career it's up to him to put the effort in in training and show his commitment by waiving the appearance fees. If he has any sense he will, because it'll get him playing which is the only way he'll find a decent move anyway.

I wouldn't like to speculate on his motivations. He has another 20 months of contract here, perhaps he's waiting for the age of asturius :---):---):---)(

Surely reserve games are for reserves and those coming back from injury. Is that not what Wotte is doing?

As for the comment of hoping QPR field a few first team surely that is so our players can be tested against CCC players?

As for Rudi, may be he is on international duty?

In which case, if Rudi cares about his football career it's up to him to put the effort in in training and show his commitment by waiving the appearance fees. If he has any sense he will, because it'll get him playing which is the only way he'll find a decent move anyway.

As I'm sure most of us would be happy to receive less money for doing exactly the same job, even though our contracts hadn't been changed :rolleyes:

As I'm sure most of us would be happy to receive less money for doing exactly the same job, even though our contracts hadn't been changed :rolleyes:

Depends how badly it would affects my longer term prospects.

It may be a false economy for Rudolf to cling onto the hope of getting appearance money if it harms his prospects for the future - international and at club level ("out of sight, out of mind").

It could/would be more financially astute to accept the cut now in order to reap the rewards later....

Or, as mentioned, perhaps he has received promises from our new owners, who may, or may not, takeover tomorrow.....

I would, if meant a move to a club with better prospects. It would only be short term thing, or else he rots in the stands for the next 20 months without the appearance money anyway.

Wootton has stated on numerous occasions that the reserves will be used as a step up for the kids.

Skacel is too old

:confused:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/search/?mode=movenav&page_id=10602

Saints Reserves picked up their first points of the season away to Gillingham on Wednesday afternoon, but Mark Wotte still wants more…

Czech international Rudi Skacel returned from injury at left-back with 1st year Academy scholar Sam Argent in the other full-back position.

Southampton: Tommy Forecast, Sam Argent, Jeffrey Imudia, Kyle Davies, Rudi Skacel, Tom Dunford (70 McLaggon), Nathan Dyer, Jamie Hatch, Matthew Paterson, Jake Thomson, Jamie White

It may be a false economy for Rudolf to cling onto the hope of getting appearance money if it harms his prospects for the future - international and at club level ("out of sight, out of mind").

It could/would be more financially astute to accept the cut now in order to reap the rewards later....

Or, as mentioned, perhaps he has received promises from our new owners, who may, or may not, takeover tomorrow.....

Tomorrow is always one day away.(Annie?)

He will be 31 in 20 months when his contract runs out.

Great age for most footballers to retire.....

So he doesn't really have much in the way of long term prospects anyway, so he's probably doing all he can by taking his pay cheque every month for little or no work, allowing him to concentrate on 'other projects'....

He will be 31 in 20 months when his contract runs out.

Great age for most footballers to retire.....

So he doesn't really have much in the way of long term prospects anyway, so he's probably doing all he can by taking his pay cheque every month for little or no work, allowing him to concentrate on 'other projects'....

Exactly, probably just wants to go home and finish off his career in the Czech league.Wouldn't think he has any international prospects, so 20 more months here is just a sort of winding down period.

Thanks MB.

Also nice to see we don't have the most badly written OS in the league...

IN RESERVE: Saints edge 5-goal thriller

Posted on: Tue 07 Oct 2008

Gareth Ainsworth's reserve side succumbed to a 3-1 defeat at a cold and wet Loftus Road as two second half goals were enough to clinch it for visitors Southampton.