Criminal record checks for new job

Patrick Bateman

Hi all ... a friend of mine was asking me about this by e-mail, but I have no idea and said I'd ask the wider audience, well, a few people on the Saintsforum is a good start ;)

He is close to landing a job he's had his eyes on for years, the only problem is his record needs to be squeaky clean. It isn't. If he comes clean, or declines against giving them consent to run their checks, he's out before he's even started .... so he would like to know how quick can they come round to bite you in the arse? And do they religiously always follow it up?

It's quite a prestige job in the financial sector so financial checks are also required ...again these are less than desirable, I'm told ...what's the turnaround on these checks?

I think he's hoping it takes six months by which time he's got his foot in the door, making them loads of money, and the last thing they will want to do it is get rid.

Any opinions/ideas/thoughts/help I can pass on?

Guest Hacienda

I've just had a full disclosure CRB turned around in 6 weeks.

If he has an unspent conviction and doesn't declare it then he's breaking the law and will most likely be booted out.

I've just had a full disclosure CRB turned around in 6 weeks.

If he has an unspent conviction and doesn't declare it then he's breaking the law and will most likely be booted out.

Same as.

Nothing he can do about it. CRB will show up anything. Shame, I've got a lot of time for people in the financial sector who make money out of the common man - specially at times like these n'all.

Guest Hacienda
What if he has 'satisfied' his conviction and done the time so to speak?

It's only spent when the law says it is!

Relevant Rehabilitation Periods

Prison for more than two and a half years - Never

Prison for more than six months but less

than two and a half years - 10 years*

Dismissal with disgrace from Her Majesty's service - 10 years*

A sentence of Borstal training - 7 years

Prison for six months or less - 7 years*

Dismissal from Her Majesty's service - 7 years*

Imprisonment or detention in YOI or youth

custody for six months or less - 7 years*

Detention in respect of conviction in service

disciplinary proceedings - 5 years*

Fine - 5 years*

Young offender detention for over six months

but less than two and a half years - 5 years

Probation order or community order - 5 years

Hospital order under Mental Health Act 1983 - 5 years or 2 years after order ceases to have effect, whichever is the longer

Young offender detention for six months or less - 3 years

Absolute discharge - 6 months

Conditional discharge, binding over, care order, supervision order, reception order - 1 year after making of order or 1 year after the order ends, whichever is longer

Disqualification - Period of disqualification

For some jobs, such as mine, convictions are never unspent.

If he is working in finance then he will get the standard CRB check so will take 10-15 days.

This check certificate contains details of all convictions on record, plus details of any cautions, warnings or reprimands.

So to be honest mate, I wouldnt hold out much hope. But saying that he depends on what he has done and how long ago

it does depend on what he got done for, and what the sentence was. i got done for abh jsut over 5 years ago, and did some work on a contract for an insurance company starting in April. i gave my consent to a crb check, and as i was 2 months away from it being classed as spent, i was constantly waiting for someone to tap me on the shoulder and march me out the building.

but it never happened

by the same token, i got offered a job with the fsa about 4 years ago, and then it got revoked cos of some bad credit in 1991:o

I think he's hoping it takes six months by which time he's got his foot in the door, making them loads of money, and the last thing they will want to do it is get rid.

I think this will depend on 2 things (1) if he's been truthful in his application and (2) exactly what his record has on it!

Tell him to be honest.........

I know someone who got a job in the finance industry earlier this year as a branch manager of a bank and they decided to 'withhold' some information (this was connected with their previous job, but same principal). They had been with the new company for about 4 months (doing a good job by all accounts) before this additional information came to light. When it did come to light, they were dismissed.

Like Hacienda has already said, he could be breaking laws by not saying about stuff. But for the guy I know of, the bank he was working for simply said that if he was dishonest during his job application they could not trust him in the job role.

What's on his record………

Obviously you've not gone into details about your mates history, but it's not always bad news providing he's honest in the first place. Some companies will take a risk if they think it's worth it.. If he's honest, maybe even mention in the interview that he's got some concerns about his 'past' impacting his application, then that could go in has favour. I used to manage people in the finance sector and we did criminal record and credit record checks on existing staff and new applications. I had a couple of people come back with 'Red status' for the company I worked for. However as they'd been there for a few weeks and they came across well, worked hard, etc, I submitted cases for them to be kept on and they were allowed to stay with the company.

I guess it really depends on his past, how good he is, and if he comes across as a decent guy or a knob!

Guest Hacienda
As Southampton is the crime capital of Britain they are sure to check.

I doubt Mcdonalds ask for CRBs so it's no surprise you're clueless.

Guest Hacienda

My conviction has no impact on my ability to do my job and therefore it's never been an issue.

The time that's passed since conviction and the nature of the offence are more important that the fact that they have one at all.

A few questions as I know the lad in question:

-if he was arrested for something, but was never charged, will that show?

-will community service satisfied in 05/06 show?

-if there is a combination of deception (small scale), football violence and assult, in the region of 3 to 6 years ago, is he ****ed?

Guest Hacienda
A few questions as I know the lad in question:

-if he was arrested for something, but was never charged, will that show?

-will community service satisfied in 05/06 show?

-if there is a combination of deception (small scale), football violence and assult, in the region of 3 to 6 years ago, is he ****ed?

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

If he had only 1, 2 or 3 I'd say fine, but all of them?

Working in the financial sector then they will check you out, but if it hasd no impact on your job then it is fine.

They also check your credit file, and you have to answer a questionnaire every year regarding your financial standing and any financial connections you have. This has to be truthfully answered, as can lead to dismissal. Again it really depends if what is on the credit file as to whether they will be bothered. I.e. they wouldnt want a declared / discharged bankrupt advise clients on investments!

It certainly doesn't take 6 months! I had an enhanced one done and it only took a couple of weeks. The more ID you show them the faster it comes back so if he wants it to be as slow as possible only give them the ID they absolutely need. I would say his best chance is to be honest before it comes back.

He is stuffed.

Desception in the financial industry is a massive no no, from a bank teller, all the way up to an independent financial advisor.

Desception and working with money is like putting an alcoholic in charge of a pub!

Generally, if the company is a big one, even things like missed credit payments and defaults will have you failing the credit checks they do. CCJ's, Mortgage Arrears, IVA's and Bankruptcy are a big no no.

Although if it is a smaller company, then its down to the discretion of the Compliance Officer of said company.

I worked for a Mortgage Broker previously and was amazed that half of the sales Team has previously had defaults and CCJ's!

He is stuffed.

Desception in the financial industry is a massive no no, from a bank teller, all the way up to an independent financial advisor.

Desception and working with money is like putting an alcoholic in charge of a pub!

Generally, if the company is a big one, even things like missed credit payments and defaults will have you failing the credit checks they do. CCJ's, Mortgage Arrears, IVA's and Bankruptcy are a big no no.

Although if it is a smaller company, then its down to the discretion of the Compliance Officer of said company.

I worked for a Mortgage Broker previously and was amazed that half of the sales Team has previously had defaults and CCJ's!

From what I gather it was very small scale and it was a cautionable offence, and around 4/5 years ago......is he still ****ed? It's a couple of other minor details that have actually had him in front of a judge....

How detailed do the checks come back? Type, date, sentence etc etc?

I'd like to say at this stage although the lad in question has had a questionable past, I am a responsible upstanding pillar of the community :-)

From what I gather it was very small scale and it was a cautionable offence, and around 4/5 years ago......is he still ****ed? It's a couple of other minor details that have actually had him in front of a judge....

How detailed do the checks come back? Type, date, sentence etc etc?

I'd like to say at this stage although the lad in question has had a questionable past, I am a responsible upstanding pillar of the community :-)

When working for the broker, Im pretty sure it was just a credit check I had done on me. If your friend is going to be working for a large company, then they will probably check his criminal record. I would imagine if he has been infront of the court a 'few' times, he is f*cked.

I dont think there is any extent in which they look into it. They just get a copy of his CRB which will show any and all details so they will see it all.

I guess it just then depends on the person doing the interviewing/employing

The longest delay is at Police local level, which is usually stage three or four of the process. West Midlands Police are one of the poorest performing at clearing CRB applications so that'll take a few weeks there in itself, then it'll go to local level at other constabularies. As he has some previous but as not had a previous CRB check, then I wouldn't expect it back for 6-8 weeks. The enhanced CRB will document everything, they are very thorough, hence why every Police force will check out the application at local level.

It's down to the individual company to make the decision whether to employ, they'll assess the risk and see if it's worthwhile employing him. Don't think a criminal record is the end of the world for a good job.

Sometimes the offence can appear to make you look a right ****, when the circumstances are revealed, which they will be at a review once your CRB states any offence[if it comes to that] then the picture can become a lot clearer.

I had to interview a staff member who had a serious violence offence but when she spoke to me and gave me all the documents from what happened in court then I could see how this person would have did what she did, I supported her case to my manager and she agreed with my decision and the employee carried on working and has been a model employee since.

Sometimes a series of events can conspire against you and you get caught up in a moment that you just can't help what happens.

I always say that some people get caught and some people don't, so just because they have a clear CRB and someone else has a bit of history then I reserve judgement as most of us have committed offences, but just never got caught, plus a CRB is only as good as the day it is dated as clear. We have recruited staff with a clear CRB and then when we do a new CRB, which we do every year, an offence will show up since they have been in employment with us - you can just never judge what a person get's up to once they are out of work time.

Of course, if your mate has been a total **** over the years, then justifying all his crimes will be very difficult to plead to a panel of people, especially if they are the type who see thing's in either black or white.