Reserves Win

krissyboy31

Skacel never will play "Official"
It was rumoured on 606 sometime ago that the transfer deal that brought him here from Hearts included add on fees for x amount of first team appearances; and that he's not being played because the club want to avoid these additional fees.

Just in case anyone is interested in football on this site anymore.....

This was an exceptional performance by our Reserve side - which included many of our Academy side. MW must have been a very happy man to see his side pass Aldershot off the park. Our pass and move was fantastic and he was jumping off his seat to see our opening goal. Thomson took a quick throw in to White who in turn went past the left back and played over a cross to Paterson who somehow turned and hooked a brilliant shot into the net for our opening goal. Aldershot were a physical team, and some meaty tackles went in, but the youngsters stood up well to it. Second half was all about Jake Thomson, he was exceptional - playing in his proper position of right wing, he completely outclassed the Aldershot defence on just about every occasion he got the ball. Indeed, when Paterson played a pass to him after about an hour, he hooked the ball over first time for White to stab home at the front post. One touch football at its best! The two youngsters in midfield of Gobern and McNish battled well and defensively Davis, Hatch, Imedula and Reeves (great game!) looked like a well drilled unit!

Once again I am delighted to watch our youngsters. Thomson, Paterson and White have the ability to become professionals at the highest level (IMHO) and as the elders of this squad at 18/19 that can only bode well for the future of Southampton FC. I would very much like to see all three involved more in the first team - indeed JP who was sat in the main stand must have enjoyed watching them.

One disappointment - where are our 'professional' players - Skacel, Thomas, Euell, BWP etc.. If they are to get match fit for the first team then surely they must play Reserve football. Saying that, with the passion and desire that this team currently play with I doubt they would make the first eleven!

COYR

This was an exceptional performance by our Reserve side - which included many of our Academy side. MW must have been a very happy man to see his side pass Aldershot off the park. to him after about an hour, he hooked the ball over first time for White to stab home at the front post. One touch football at its best! The two youngsters in midfield of Gobern and McNish battled well and defensively Davis, Hatch, Imedula and Reeves (great game!) looked like a well drilled unit!

One disappointment - where are our 'professional' players - Skacel, Thomas, Euell, BWP etc.. If they are to get match fit for the first team then surely they must play Reserve football. Saying that, with the passion and desire that this team currently play with I doubt they would make the first eleven!

COYR

Thanks for the update Navyred - always appreciated. I was a little concerned when you referred to 'MW' jumping off his seat as I thought our Football Chairman was cutting further costs by running the reserves but then I twigged!

How did the lad Smith from Leicester do? You didn't seem to mention him so I'm guessing he was quiet?

And lastly, your point regarding the senior pro's is one that most of us can't seem to understand. They may well be off but you would think keeping them match fit and at the same time adding a balance of experience to the younger lads would be in the Clubs interest but it doesn't seem that way.

Good win though and let's hope for continued development of the guys you've mentioned as they're more than likely to get their chance in the New Year.

Thanks for the update Navyred - always appreciated. I was a little concerned when you referred to 'MW' jumping off his seat as I thought our Football Chairman was cutting further costs by running the reserves but then I twigged!

How did the lad Smith from Leicester do? You didn't seem to mention him so I'm guessing he was quiet?

And lastly, your point regarding the senior pro's is one that most of us can't seem to understand. They may well be off but you would think keeping them match fit and at the same time adding a balance of experience to the younger lads would be in the Clubs interest but it doesn't seem that way.

Good win though and let's hope for continued development of the guys you've mentioned as they're more than likely to get their chance in the New Year.

Got to admit, Smith wasn't what I expected. Jake Thomson completely outshone him yesterday, indeed apart from a couple of crosses and a one on one with the keeper in the second half (which he failed to score) I would say that he had a very quiet match. Thomson is by far a better player (IMO) and I would expect to see him on the bench/squad before Smith is.

I completely agree that we should have a blend of experience and Youth especially in our first team squad. I honestly (hand on heart!) believe that many of our 'professionals' have either been told they are surplus to requirement or are just waiting to the end of their contracts to make their money. In saying that I am sure that when Dec/Jan comes and the likes of Smith, Peckhart, Cork, Roberston etc return to their clubs - we are preparing the likes of Thomson, Paterson and White to step in - and I for one (having watched them for the last two/three seasons) will be absolutely delighted for them because I firmly believe they have what it takes to make it.

COYR

Perhaps SFC should start a new six a side league for unemployed Senior 'masters'. How many other clubs have unused players in their ranks?

Thanks for the report Navyred ...good to see Paterson back to scoring form. Having watched him miss a few recently his head seemed to drop and I was worried it would have a big impact on him as he looks a 'confidence' player and I have high hopes for him.

Paterson has now scored in each of his last 3 matches and I think scored in four out of five pre-season games. He does miss chances, but all good strikers do, saying that his goal yesterday was a brilliant finish. He is definitely a confidence player - and I think JP did an amazing job on him by firstly involving him in the first team and putting him on the bench, then giving him his debut towards the end of the game against Norwich. The young lads' confidence must be sky high at the moment, reflecting totally in his recent goal a game average.

I too have high hopes for him. He is currently pretty well down the pecking order so I think his real chance will come in the second half of the season when a few of our loan players return to their proper clubs. That said, because of his height, strength and especially his mobility, I would currently rate him better than Pekhart and Robertson and BWP!!!

I must also say again that we do have some some really good players coming through - regards if crass individuals/supporters(?) think we may be giving them a false dawn! White, Hatch, Thomson, Davis, Paterson are all very, very talented players - if we give them the opportunity to play at the higher level then I think we have a solid base for the future. Mills was part of this group coming through and has been thrown in at the deep end, but he is holding his own. We must support our Youth policy.

COYR