ffs, my mac is dying

Thedelldays

so much for "super apple"

even my poorest windows laptops have lasted longer than this

my ipods do not work on itunes, my USBs decide to die, then come back to life then die

my applications are starting to crash

what a complete and utter let down for the hype

any ideas on a new laptop

I want to be able to play football manager at a good speed and the odd command and conquer type of game.....but mostly footy manager at a good speed..

ffs

Have you tried reinstalling OSX? My macbook went the same way and I had to reinstall it. To be honest the build quality of my macbook is absolutely shocking and not what you would expect for the price.

Everything in the IT industry seems to be made to such a low standard now. Some of the Dell laptops we have in now are just appauling. You used to be able to drop a laptop d it would stand a chance - not these days though!

Dropping Atari STs 3" on to a solid surface was a universal fix when the chips worked loose.

Delldays, I assume you bought the white MacBook? The auminium unibody MacBook/Pro is of superb build quality.

Having said that, my original white MacBook is now in the hands of its second owner and is as good as the day it was bought 5+ yrs ago.

I know a lot of music students with mac books / whatever apple call their notebooks. Every single one of them has had problems with them. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I did try to tell you dell days.

Sorry, could you just clarify how many of them had problems with them?

Sorry, could you just clarify how many of them had problems with them?

Sure.

My flatmate, Dan, RAM problem, trackpad failure. (seems to be the most common) - needed to be sent to apple for repair

Ste - Trackpad failure - needed to be sent to apple for repair

Nathan - Power supply input failure - needed to be sent to apple for repair

Carter - RAM failure - needed to be sent to apple for repair

Through word of mouth from the four highlighted above, I can safely say that they aren't the only ones. I don't have anything against MACs as a product, heck, ALL computers go wrong from time to time, but the frequency and amount of problems I have seen first hand with Mac books has been mad, and the problems are compounded by having to send the thing off in the post for repair and having to wait weeks for it to come back.

Send them off? All laptops develop faults (known faults or otherwise). The difference with Apple products is that you can simply take them in to an Apple Store or Service Centre, get them looked at/diagnosed and either repaired on the spot or leave them there got a day or so for repair. Even outside of warranty periods, it's quite common for free repairs to be carried out. Their customer service is second to none.

What happens when your Dell, Asus, Acer, Toshiba or any other manufacturers' machine goes wrong? Take it to the place you bought it from and wait how long?

Complain all you like about (your opinion of) Apple products, but don't make up such rubbish about the repair process when their are plenty of Apple stores and service centres you can visit.

The thing with Mac is that if it goes wrong then you can take it to the Apple Store in West Quay and they fix for you in the store. I had a Toshiba before my Mac which overheated and melted the motherboard. It had to be sent away and after 6 weeks they told me it couldn't be fixed and gave me a refund.

Remember, with Mac you pay for a quality service as well as a quality product.

Send them off? All laptops develop faults (known faults or otherwise). The difference with Apple products is that you can simply take them in to an Apple Store or Service Centre, get them looked at/diagnosed and either repaired on the spot or leave them there got a day or so for repair. Even outside of warranty periods, it's quite common for free repairs to be carried out. Their customer service is second to none.

What happens when your Dell, Asus, Acer, Toshiba or any other manufacturers' machine goes wrong? Take it to the place you bought it from and wait how long?

Complain all you like about (your opinion of) Apple products, but don't make up such rubbish about the repair process when their are plenty of Apple stores and service centres you can visit.

Do take your head out of your arse Essruu for just a moment. Until recently there wasn't an apple store in Southampton. And since I live in Huddersfield, that is of no use what so ever, is it. The nearest apple store and or repair centre is in Manchester. We are students. So that is a trip on the train, twice, to take it there and pick it up. Or we can post it off in the box they (dont) send.

On the flip side, if my PC breaks (that I built), it is fixed on the spot, and when I take it apart I don't have some apple fascist breathing down my neck because I've voided the ****ing warranty.

Apple make it nigh on IMPOSSIBLE for the average user to fault find for them selves, throwing up all kinds of obstacles (locked down hardware, restrictive OS etc).

I have a macbook that's 2 years old, the white one. The build quality is ****ing shocking, the plastic has cracked and come away, I have a hair under the screen, recently the superdrive scratches any disc I put inside it. I cant even sell the ****ing thing now. I have a £250 laptop from novatech Ive had for 6 years and its lasted far better.

I ordered a brand new iMac a couple of months ago, when it arrived the screen was ****ed. I rang apple and they asked me to take it for diagnosis in Southampton. Um, **** off? You've delivered me a faulty product, you come and collect it from me and deliver me a brand new one that works. I had to press the issue before they agreed to that.

Sure.

My flatmate, Dan, RAM problem, trackpad failure. (seems to be the most common) - needed to be sent to apple for repair

Ste - Trackpad failure - needed to be sent to apple for repair

Nathan - Power supply input failure - needed to be sent to apple for repair

Carter - RAM failure - needed to be sent to apple for repair

Through word of mouth from the four highlighted above, I can safely say that they aren't the only ones. I don't have anything against MACs as a product, heck, ALL computers go wrong from time to time, but the frequency and amount of problems I have seen first hand with Mac books has been mad, and the problems are compounded by having to send the thing off in the post for repair and having to wait weeks for it to come back.

Sorry, you misunderstood. I just wanted you to shout 'EVERY SINGLE ONE' again.

I want to be able to play football manager at a good speed and the odd command and conquer type of game.....but mostly footy manager at a good speed..

Something with a good graphics card, a good processor and a fair bit of RAM (at least 4GB)... also, it's absolutely worth using a 64-bit operating system so you can make use of the specs, and therefore, speed up your FM games. Maybe a dedicated gaming laptop?

Like I said though, RAM and processor for FM though, that's the important component!

So I would recommend:

- 64-bit operating system (so you can use more than 3GB of RAM)

- at least 4GB RAM (with room for expansion)

- good processor (not massively techy so maybe someone else can recommend one)

- good graphics card (for the 3D views in FM but more importantly, for "gaming" like CoH, C & C etc)

Might be worth trying...: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/alienware-laptops-tab?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&ST=alienware&dgc=ST&cid=41141&lid=1069630&acd=130028948920560

Edited by Crab Lungs