Unemployed in the USA

bridge too far

Read the link. I feel sorry for the bloke, but it's the real world. I suppose the salutary lesson is to never live above your means, and never, ever be too dependant on one skill. Have a few strings to your bow.

Also the lesson that it's a dog eat dog world out there, think of no one and no one else, except me & Landy of course, me because i'm the next generation and Landy because he's a historic grade 2 listed homosapien.

Read the link. I feel sorry for the bloke, but it's the real world. I suppose the salutary leson is to never live above your means, and never, ever be too dependant on one skill. Have a few strings to your bow.

Easier said than done, though. Although I understand that, in the UK, employers are to be paid for training their staff in other skills, ready for the upturn if / when it comes.

This is happening already in the motor manufacturing industry apparently, because the manufacturers recognise from past experience that there will be a skill shortage once demand picks up.

The thing that saddened me about the article was that the poor chap needed eye treatment but couldn't afford to pay for it. It's easy to say 'he should have put something by for such an eventuality' but how many of us do?

Also the lesson that it's a dog eat dog world out there, think of no one and no one else, except me & Landy of course, me because i'm the next generation and Landy because he's a historic grade 2 listed homosapien.

'Ere, this p!ss take is going a bit far. I'm not ancient. :D

I was only 50 last month, and I'm as fit as a fiddle. OK, the last bit is a slight fib, as I'm a stone overweight. But I can still quickly clamber all over a boat and sail it. That's enough for me.

Easier said than done, though. Although I understand that, in the UK, employers are to be paid for training their staff in other skills, ready for the upturn if / when it comes.

This is happening already in the motor manufacturing industry apparently, because the manufacturers recognise from past experience that there will be a skill shortage once demand picks up.

The thing that saddened me about the article was that the poor chap needed eye treatment but couldn't afford to pay for it. It's easy to say 'he should have put something by for such an eventuality' but how many of us do?

Hence why I'm an IT consultant AND a carpet fitter too. I have had occasion where I did some IT work for a company, and then weeks later fitted carpets in their offices. Odd combo, eh..? You should have seen the looks on the faces of the staff. ;)

Hence why I'm an IT consultant AND a carpet fitter too. I have had occasion where I did some IT work for a company, and then weeks later fitted carpets in their offices. Odd combo, eh..? You should have seen the looks on the faces of the staff. ;)

LOL - fair play St L!

I don't think that would work so well for me. I'm a dancer and an auditor. I would be very surprised if the NHS / local councils decided to book me to perform because they didn't have any audit work for me :D

LOL - fair play St L!

I don't think that would work so well for me. I'm a dancer and an auditor. I would be very surprised if the NHS / local councils decided to book me to perform because they didn't have any audit work for me :D

Don't give up hope though, and be ready to leap in at any notice.

'Ere, this p!ss take is going a bit far. I'm not ancient. :D

I was only 50 last month, and I'm as fit as a fiddle. OK, the last bit is a slight fib, as I'm a stone overweight. But I can still quickly clamber all over a boat and sail it. That's enough for me.

Sailing - Sitting on ones butt whilst the wind blows them around in a circle.

It's not as though you have to change the rigging, rudder and dagger or centre board, you don't have to manage the force of the wind on the sails in order to change the direction and speed of the boat.

It's not as though you need to master the skill that requires experience in varying wind and sea conditions, as well as knowledge concerning sailboats.

Sailing - Sitting on ones butt whilst the wind blows them around in a circle.

It's not as though you have to change the rigging, rudder and dagger or centre board, you don't have to manage the force of the wind on the sails in order to change the direction and speed of the boat.

It's not as though you need to master the skill that requires experience in varying wind and sea conditions, as well as knowledge concerning sailboats.

Nice one.

Slightly less ironic next time for any US citizens reading this, perhaps..? :D

EDIT: That reminds me, I wonder if Buzzin' took my advice on buying a particular sailing dinghy earlier this year..? Oi, you out there Watford laddie..?

Nice one.

That reminds me, I wonder if Buzzin' took my advice on buying a particular sailing dinghy earlier this year..?

You mean they can read :shock: I thought they just sat around all day eating food, hey! now wait one god damn minute, are you American?

Nice one.

EDIT: That reminds me, I wonder if Buzzin' took my advice on buying a particular sailing dinghy earlier this year..? Oi, you out there Watford laddie..?

Yeah, we don't do irony, so what's your point?

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7681978.stm

This makes me realise that the UK, with all its faults, is an infinitely kinder and nicer place to live.

I'm proud to be a UK citizen.

I'm proud to be a citizen of both countries. This guy forgot the lesson wherever you live - put some money aside for a rainy day. Maybe not in an Icelandic bank but under the mattress would have been a good idea.

I'm proud to be a citizen of both countries. This guy forgot the lesson wherever you live - put some money aside for a rainy day. Maybe not in an Icelandic bank but under the mattress would have been a good idea.

Doesnt sound like he forgot that lesson at all, he talks about having live off his savings for a while until he went bankrupt

Doesnt sound like he forgot that lesson at all, he talks about having live off his savings for a while until he went bankrupt

Then he didn't do what he had to do to make ends meet, did he. Sorry, but this story just doesn't wash. Fine, it might be degrading to have to flip burgers in McDonalds, or stack shelves in Wal-Mart, but those kind of menial jobs are always available, always, no matter how bad a recession is. And if he was hell bent on not finding himself homeless, then, from the position he was in come the end of his job, he never would have been.

If you're prepared to swallow your pride, and do what you need to do, then you'll be just fine - end of, simple as.

Then he didn't do what he had to do to make ends meet, did he. Sorry, but this story just doesn't wash. Fine, it might be degrading to have to flip burgers in McDonalds, or stack shelves in Wal-Mart, but those kind of menial jobs are always available, always, no matter how bad a recession is. And if he was hell bent on not finding himself homeless, then, from the position he was in come the end of his job, he never would have been.

If you're prepared to swallow your pride, and do what you need to do, then you'll be just fine - end of, simple as.

very easy to say. are you saying is that there is never any excuse for being unemployed?

very easy to say. are you saying is that there is never any excuse for being unemployed?

That's precisely what I'm saying. I wholly accept how difficult it must be to trade a good job, with its salary and benefits, for a menial alternative, but the fact remains that there is always work, no matter how unpalatable it may seem, available in developed Western countries.

That's precisely what I'm saying. I wholly accept how difficult it must be to trade a good job, with its salary and benefits, for a menial alternative, but the fact remains that there is always work, no matter how unpalatable it may seem, available in developed Western countries.

This is so simplistic. This may be the case on an inidividual by individual basis. But if the number of unemployed in the UK, for example, goes up by 1 million are you saying that there are 1 million unfilled vacancies waiting to be filled?

In 'normal' conditions of steady growth I accept that there is little excuse for the vast majority of people to be unemployed but during recession then this isn't the case.

This is so simplistic. This may be the case on an inidividual by individual basis. But if the number of unemployed in the UK, for example, goes up by 1 million are you saying that there are 1 million unfilled vacancies waiting to be filled?

In 'normal' conditions of steady growth I accept that there is little excuse for the vast majority of people to be unemployed but during recession then this isn't the case.

Exactly right. I think at the moment there are about 600K vacancies. If unemployment rises to 2 million (optimistic estimate) what are the other 1400K supposed to do?

In posting this thread, I was pointing out that we are very lucky to be in the UK and to know that people, who through no fault of their own are out of work, do at least get some support, even if that support is as simple as getting eye treatment for free to at least give them a chance to get work again.

There is no such safety net in the US I think.

Exactly right. I think at the moment there are about 600K vacancies.

Hmmmmmm, and so if unemployment is nudging the 2 million mark, WHY are there 600,000 vacancies, BTF? Surely, if people were prepared to do whatever they needed to do to make ends meet, there would be NO vacancies, seeing as the supply of labour (according to you at any rate - you really should cite your sources when quoting figures) exceeds the available means by which it may be utilised.

Sorry, but if an individual is determined enough (and prepared to swallow their pride) then they need never be out of work. And nothing anybody says will ever convince me otherwise.

This is correct to an extent, although you'd never be denied life-saving treatment should it be required.

Exactly right. I think at the moment there are about 600K vacancies. If unemployment rises to 2 million (optimistic estimate) what are the other 1400K supposed to do?

In posting this thread, I was pointing out that we are very lucky to be in the UK and to know that people, who through no fault of their own are out of work, do at least get some support, even if that support is as simple as getting eye treatment for free to at least give them a chance to get work again.

But people still end up homeless in the UK. There are pros and cons to every country. Being in this country and employed gives my wife access to all sorts of expensive drugs that are either rationed or not available on the NHS. On the other hand, if we were out of work with no insurance, it would be very different. Either Medicare or Medicaid (don't remember which is which - one for the retired, one for the uninsured) might be available but we would be faced with some very expensive bills. As for help with housing, etc, you are on your own.

Only true up to a point though, at my age even the fast food / shelf stacking jobs are out of my

reach as I am perceived as being too old. Of course that is never the official excuse as that would be illegal.

Hmmmmmm, and so if unemployment is nudging the 2 million mark, WHY are there 600,000 vacancies, BTF? Surely, if people were prepared to do whatever they needed to do to make ends meet, there would be NO vacancies, seeing as the supply of labour (according to you at any rate - you really should cite your sources when quoting figures) exceeds the available means by which it may be utilised.

Because vacancies take time to fill?

If I was you I wouldn't be expected the Nobel Prize for Economics any time soon.

Hmmmmmm, and so if unemployment is nudging the 2 million mark, WHY are there 600,000 vacancies, BTF? Surely, if people were prepared to do whatever they needed to do to make ends meet, there would be NO vacancies

And if all the jobs were vacancies down south? But all the unemployed remain up north?

Extreme example I know, however, it doesnt just work on a one for one basis.

There is a multitude of reasons why there are still people unemployed in the country.

As pointed out above, while prejudism (sp) is no longer allowed in picking people for the job, that doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

And if all the jobs were vacancies down south? But all the unemployed remain up north?

Extreme example I know, however, it doesnt just work on a one for one basis.

There is a multitude of reasons why there are still people unemployed in the country.

As pointed out above, while prejudism (sp) is no longer allowed in picking people for the job, that doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

I think that's (sort of) what happened last time,although pundits are suggesting it will be the service sector that will take the biggest hit this time whereas it was the manufacturing sector last time.

If you're young, free and single it's comparitively easy to up sticks and move elsewhere to a job. However, if you have a mortgage, and children who are settled in local schools, it's not that straightforward, is it?

Hmmmmmm, and so if unemployment is nudging the 2 million mark, WHY are there 600,000 vacancies, BTF? Surely, if people were prepared to do whatever they needed to do to make ends meet, there would be NO vacancies...

I should think there would be considerable skills mismatch here; e.g. we need 600,000 rocket scientists and we've got 2 million unemployed bricklayers (for example). Re-training is sometimes possible but there is also the question of aptitude and experience.

And even if the skills match there are issues of location and mobility as others have pointed out.

Only true up to a point though, at my age even the fast food / shelf stacking jobs are out of my

reach as I am perceived as being too old. Of course that is never the official excuse as that would be illegal.

It's like the old British Caledonian advert for stewardesses.

It was by then illegal to discriminate against either sex (don't know if being queer was compulsory at that time) but they put "must be able to wear a mini-skirt " in the job profile anyway.

Shock,horror and the discrimination process started illico. Their HRD said, yep but we don't want candidates hiding wooden legs. Think they got away with it.