Moving to Southampton

dan17

The Hythe & Waterside area where I live is very nice. I'm in Fawley, lovely quiet village (although you'd have to put up with the refinery being here, doesn't bother me though having lived here for 21 years). Got the forest and sea on your door step and town is only a 20 minute drive away. Would recommend Fawley or Langley as the nicest villages over Blackfield and Holbury. Hythe is quite nice too.

The Hythe & Waterside area where I live is very nice. I'm in Fawley, lovely quiet village (although you'd have to put up with the refinery being here, doesn't bother me though having lived here for 21 years). Got the forest and sea on your door step and town is only a 20 minute drive away. Would recommend Fawley or Langley as the nicest villages over Blackfield and Holbury. Hythe is quite nice too.

The Falcon is a top boozer too.

Interesting to see all these recommendations come in.

I take some issue with dune describing all of Southampton as a dump. Not even remotely true, particularly when compared to other cities you might live.

I can't speak for the quality of schools, but if I moved back to Southampton tomorrow, I'd be looking to be between the rivers and near the Common.

Bassett, as has been mentioned, is a very nice area but pricey.

Upper Shirley, the other side of the Common, is very nice too. Not as pricey as Bassett, but still a nice, leafy part of the world.

Time was that I'd have moved to Polygon in a heartbeat. Really close to town and brilliant for anyone in their 20s. Car parking is a nightmare though. The Northlands road area, just to the north of Polygon, may be better.

Even though Bitterne Park is the wrong side of the Itchen for my liking, it's a pretty nice area. Close to Riverside Park, and not too far off the beaten track ( Portswood only really got Cobden Bridge in the way ). Probably cheaper than many of the options listed above too, but be warned, it is quite a hilly area.

The Waterside is fine as long as you don't work in Southampton. I commute from Southampton to Hardley and see the queues going into town in the morning and out in the evening. Wouldn't want to do that every day.

Portswood is really nice I think, especially around the University area. And it's got lots of good shops nearby, I've lived here 24 years and there's been no trouble. There's hardly any chavs, what you will get is alot of students though during term times. But it's got great shops for food/restaurants, good pubs, and it's within easy access to everywhere in the city and elsewhere (st denys station)

This thread got me looking on RightMove at all the areas in the city I've lived in in the past (Sholing, Polygon, Chandler's Ford).

One of my favourite areas, although I never lived there, is Portswood / Highfield. There are some lovely houses in that area - Collins houses they're called. Quite pricey but very pretty. I went to school with the daughter of the architect who designed them.

The Waterside is fine as long as you don't work in Southampton. I commute from Southampton to Hardley and see the queues going into town in the morning and out in the evening. Wouldn't want to do that every day.

It can be a pain and takes me about 40 mins or so to get to Portswood from Dibden. On the plus side if it ever gets really bad like an accident or Causeway gets shut then I just work from home. Also, although public transport is OK during the day and rush hour it's pretty poor after about 6pm.

I used to live in midanbury. It's nice and s friendly area. The local pub, the Castle, used to be good but went through a stage of being full of young idiots just before we moved and got a quite rough, not sure what it's like now. All in all it's a good area to live though.

Castle was my local from 1970 to 1984

This thread got me looking on RightMove at all the areas in the city I've lived in in the past (Sholing, Polygon, Chandler's Ford).

One of my favourite areas, although I never lived there, is Portswood / Highfield. There are some lovely houses in that area - Collins houses they're called. Quite pricey but very pretty. I went to school with the daughter of the architect who designed them.

You name dropper you :)

I know ;) I didn't appreciate how significant he was until much, much later. Those lovely houses along Bassett Green Road and down towards Swaythling were apparently designed for working class families. They're now quite gentrified.

I thought the Collins houses in Swaythling were the ones you were talking about....are there other styles.....I suspect there might be.

Funnily enough, one of the best schools in the country is in Shirley Warren. They may not be top of the league tables but their Ofsted results put them in the top 10%.

Ofsted mark a school on a number of criteria and award marks between 1 and 4. Most schools are delighted to get a 2. Shirley Warren got 1's in every category due to outstanding work with their intake, many of which come into the school with little english.

I lived in shirley warren for 12 long, horrible years, near the working mens club in coxford close. Note to Dan17, ffs dont even consider that area, it is abysmal. Warren Avenue has all but closed down now, any shop that opens gets immediately trashed by the local yoof and you would need to be deaf to ignore the constant howl of police sirens. Plus knackered speed ramps up and down the main drags, seriously worth avoiding. The day we left that dump was like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

I thought the Collins houses in Swaythling were the ones you were talking about....are there other styles.....I suspect there might be.

Orchards Way in West End, apparently

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Collins

His own house in Brookvale Road was beautiful, too. I don't know if he designed a lot of the houses in that road. I do remember that some of the residents had access to a tennis court - I can remember playing a few sets there with his daughter when I was still at school.

Orchards Way in West End, apparently

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Collins

His own house in Brookvale Road was beautiful, too. I don't know if he designed a lot of the houses in that road. I do remember that some of the residents had access to a tennis court - I can remember playing a few sets there with his daughter when I was still at school.

Thanks, my late aunt and uncle talked about Collins houses and how they liked them.....they lived in a lovely 1930s house in Woolston.

Actually there are places to avoid (the big estates with a reputation) but all the suburbs are a mix and you do really need to look around. Like someone said most on totton is very nice and they would probably say not over the bridge. I have to say you get more for your money here and if you take the time to look at upkeep of other houses it should be a good indicator of area.

Southampton is a very nice place to live, Ive lived in Andover, Winchester, Portsmouth, Sailsbury, Tidworth, as well as short stints in Hull (hell), Chester, Glasgow, London. Winchester was top but Southampton although completely different is a very close second.

Better than Chester? Surely not??