Moving to Southampton

dan17

As the title suggest, me and my family are looking to move down to the Southampton area.

Without wishing to sound like a complete snob (and probably failing), can people recommend a decent area of the city/outskirts to move to?

Funnily enough, the only area of Southampton I have really experienced is St Marys!

Would really really appreciate any recommendations that you fine people may have....

thanks in advance,

Dan

Nice area's I would say in Southampton would include;

Highfield, as well as around the common, ocean village, bit's of bittern, swaythling, shirley, woolston is going though a large development.

I would say don't move to Thornhill, Shirley warren, Lordshill, Millbrook, and Western.

Southampton is more or a mix to be fair I live in Woolston and been here 3 years and although not a 'posh' area, the people around are really nice and therefore a nice place to live.

Outside of Southampton there are loads of nice places I'd avoid parts of Eastleigh though and maybe part of Totton.

Good Luck, I genuinly love living here and have lived in quite a few places, you still get complete idiots here like anywhere but plenty of people you meet are generelly very nice.

If you can afford to live in Bassett then do. You might need minimum of £500k for a house there though. Otherwise as suggested above Highfield is nice. Most other areas have both good and bad parts. For example there's loads of nice houses in Sholing, but also the Merry Oak estate.

Personally I'd move just outside the city. There's plenty of decent villages to live that have decent transport links into Southampton. Avoid Hedge End though, it's dull and full of duel carriageways and out of town style shops.

Bursledon/Hamble is nice if you want the outskirts. Some good pubs and you can go sailing with other posh people.

Hamble is ok. I live there. The yachties are really quite annoying though and seem to look down at you if you don't own a boat. Loads of nice walks, parks, rivers etc. Good transport links into Southampton (bus and train) but the traffic on Hamble Lane can be a nightmare if you go at the wrong time and will only get worse if the Hampshire County Council give the go-ahead to proposed gravel pits on the old airfield site. Ocean Village is only 15 mins by car if you go through Netley/Weston.

Actually Netley is an ok place to live too. Parks and rivers but no yachties.

Nice area's I would say in Southampton would include;

Highfield, as well as around the common, ocean village, bit's of bittern, swaythling, shirley, woolston is going though a large development.

I would say don't move to Thornhill, Shirley warren, Lordshill, Millbrook, and Western.

Southampton is more or a mix to be fair I live in Woolston and been here 3 years and although not a 'posh' area, the people around are really nice and therefore a nice place to live.

Outside of Southampton there are loads of nice places I'd avoid parts of Eastleigh though and maybe part of Totton.

Good Luck, I genuinly love living here and have lived in quite a few places, you still get complete idiots here like anywhere but plenty of people you meet are generelly very nice.

For dan17, comments like yours show how difficult it is for somebody who doesn't know the area

You say avoid parts of Totton, but Totton's crime rate is considerably lower than Shirley & Bitterne (places you're recommending)

If you were asking Totton residents which areas to avoid, they'd almost certainly say Woolston & Sholing, or anywhere over the bridge (where you currently are)

Thanks for all the comments people, really appreciate it.

What is Midanbury like? Just seen a nice house on rightmove there.

70's Mike - will do! We are planning a visit in the coming weeks - just gotta sort things out with the mortgage men first!!

Rownhams and Nursling are pretty good.

Took the words out of my mouth, quiet and friendly, not far from Romsey, plus terrific access to the motorway and city centre.

Hamble and Netley are a good shout as well if youre into sailing.

Actually there are places to avoid (the big estates with a reputation) but all the suburbs are a mix and you do really need to look around. Like someone said most on totton is very nice and they would probably say not over the bridge. I have to say you get more for your money here and if you take the time to look at upkeep of other houses it should be a good indicator of area.

Southampton is a very nice place to live, Ive lived in Andover, Winchester, Portsmouth, Sailsbury, Tidworth, as well as short stints in Hull (hell), Chester, Glasgow, London. Winchester was top but Southampton although completely different is a very close second.

Thanks for all the comments people, really appreciate it.

70's Mike - will do! We are planning a visit in the coming weeks - just gotta sort things out with the mortgage men first!!

I used to live in midanbury. It's nice and s friendly area. The local pub, the Castle, used to be good but went through a stage of being full of young idiots just before we moved and got a quite rough, not sure what it's like now. All in all it's a good area to live though.

Sorry to hijack Dan's thread, but I'm going to anyway. I'm also looking at possibly moving to Southampton. On my own, so only need a 2 bed appartment or house. Anyone got any experience of the new flats around Ocean Village or can reccomend some other decent places? Will only be commuting in and out once a week, so traffic/location issues are less of a problem,

Personally i'd hate to live in or in the close vicinity of Southampton. Much rather find a nice village around Winchester. My family are originally from round the Crawley/Sparsholt/Hursley area and it's a nice area, but expensive now. Southampton is a dump, always has been always will be.

Depends what you're after ie. a flat or a house with a garden. Any kids (schools to consider).

I live in Upper Shirley near the Common and Sports Centre. Good range of local shops and takeaways. Quick access to the motorways or into town. Reasonable bus service if you don't want to take the car.

My nipper went to Hollybrook Infants and Juniors which were fine. Upper Shirley High (ex Bellemoor) has a good reputation after a short dodgy period.

We like it here. Never had any problems. Only thing I don't like are the number of good family houses being bought up to be demolished and blocks of apartments taking their place.

Personally i'd hate to live in or in the close vicinity of Southampton. Much rather find a nice village around Winchester. My family are originally from round the Crawley/Sparsholt/Hursley area and it's a nice area, but expensive now. Southampton is a dump, always has been always will be.

Given the choice i expect most people would, but the cost to rent or buy is ridculous and out of a lot of peoples reach.

I used to live in midanbury. It's nice and s friendly area. The local pub, the Castle, used to be good but went through a stage of being full of young idiots just before we moved and got a quite rough, not sure what it's like now. All in all it's a good area to live though.

I'd maintain The Castle as a boozer best avoiding due to the familiar crowds I've seen that still drink there. Haven't heard decent things said about that place for years. It's got it's regulars and high percentage of those have seen better days, you'd at least hope. Same more or less applies to the Bitterne Park Hotel. Not the worst place but another one which has it's tight group of regulars and is far from being a family pub looking a bit run down. The Station on the edge of Bitterne Park I class as my local is an easy place to get along with. It's gone downhill a bit but have little qualms about going for a drink there. Typically friendly and fairly decent on a matchday. At the end of the day you could say that you go to wherever best suits you and whoever you're drinking with. Once you get used to it it's not so bad.

Depends what you're after ie. a flat or a house with a garden. Any kids (schools to consider).

I live in Upper Shirley near the Common and Sports Centre. Good range of local shops and takeaways. Quick access to the motorways or into town. Reasonable bus service if you don't want to take the car.

My nipper went to Hollybrook Infants and Juniors which were fine. Upper Shirley High (ex Bellemoor) has a good reputation after a short dodgy period.

We like it here. Never had any problems. Only thing I don't like are the number of good family houses being bought up to be demolished and blocks of apartments taking their place.

Yeah sorry should have mentioned - Me, the missus and our 16 month old son, so schools will defo need to be considered soon!

Given the choice i expect most people would, but the cost to rent or buy is ridculous and out of a lot of peoples reach.

It wasn't like that when my old man and his 5 brothers and 2 sisters were growing up. Today it's not a real community, it's stockbrokers etc.

Are the schools any good around Shirley? Every time I drive through the place it looks full of chavs and srotes.

Funnily enough, one of the best schools in the country is in Shirley Warren. They may not be top of the league tables but their Ofsted results put them in the top 10%.

Ofsted mark a school on a number of criteria and award marks between 1 and 4. Most schools are delighted to get a 2. Shirley Warren got 1's in every category due to outstanding work with their intake, many of which come into the school with little english.

It's all relative though isn't it, yes I'd like to live in the middle of the forest but can't afford to! Southampton though in general isn't a dump, it's the same as any city when compared to living out in the sticks in stockbroker belt!

Schools in Shirley are fine! Shirley School.Upper Shirley High,Regents Park.And Tauntons College are all good.Daughter has just graduated with first class honours at Bristol University,Sons about to go to Bath Spa (depending on results).Working class kids raised in Shirley! Say no more!

I lived in Midanbury for 19 years and couldn't speak more highly of it.

Plenty of convenient shops close by (The Triangle & Castle) good Schools (Beechwood, Bitterne Park, Bitterne Park Secondary etc) good green areas (Riverside park, Deepdeen) and I never really saw any crime. Decent family homes at a good price within a short drive to the city centre.

So yes, I'd recommend it.

Areas to avoid - Thornhill, Harefield, Shirley Warren, Millbrook, Northam, Weston and parts of Townhill

Worth a look - Midanbury, Bitterne Park, Bitterne, Chartwell Green, Bassett, Chillworth, Highfield, Parts of West End, Hedge End, Parts of Eastleigh.

Chartwell Green and parts of West End like others have mentioned are quite nice areas. Townhill, whilst not great has a decent infants and junior school with Bitterne Park walking distance. Chartwell Green is also 5 minutes away, decent houses, some shops as well as the two brothers pub which is family friendly.

Are the schools any good around Shirley? Every time I drive through the place it looks full of chavs and srotes.

My only experience of them is north of the High Street, where they are fine. I've got the youngest in Shirley Infants atm, and that is a very good school - well run, excellent teachers and a very happy environment. The boy is in Shirley Juniors which is ok, but seems to lack a bit of cohesion. The head changed a few years ago and i think it's going through a transitional phase. Nonetheless, it's still a fine school. They don't do anything in the way of competitve school sports teams until the final year, which is a disappointment. At the risk of sounding sexist, the teaching unit was very female in profile, but they've got a few male teachers in there now, which helps the older lads and hopefully the formation of a football team! Upper Shirely High (used to be Bellemoor) has a good recent ofsted inspection and although they were knocked back with the BSF funding cuts, it seems to be very well driven by a committed teaching team. Looking forward to going around there in september as we've got to make a decision on where the boy goes next.