Free(ish) ipod nano

pedg

In case people have not seen this. Apple have announced a recall on original ipod nano's due to a battery fault (besides the one that meant that after a while its battery made the lifetime of the mayfly appear like war and peace).

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipodnano_replacement/

If you have one around, even if its laying in a drawer, like ours, unused for years you can send it back (assuming it passes the serial number check which it looks like they almost always do) and get a replacement. At the moment its not clear if that will be a 'new' version 1 nano (some debate about how many they could possibly have) or a new new nano.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this. Waiting for mine to come back but reports are that they got 3 times as many returned as they had expected and are having to send out new (gen 6) ipod nano's as replacements as they have run out of version 1's. So if you still have a version 1 nano lying around it might be worth checking the link to see if you can get it replaced with possibly a brand new one.

Done,all seems straight forward,Mine passed the serial number check,just have to wait for them to send the packaging apparently.

We will see what transpires.

Be careful when you open the package. Mine came in a grey plastic bag. Inside this was a padded envelope and a preprinted return grey plastic bag. Not knowing the return bag looked just like the bag it came in I managed to rip that open as well and had to mend it with duct tape before I could send it back.

Done,all seems straight forward,Mine passed the serial number check,just have to wait for them to send the packaging apparently.

We will see what transpires.

Same here, my ipod has been redundant since I got an iphone and has just sat in a draw for months and months. Glad I can now swap it for a brand new one, that will go straight on ebay !

Would not hold your breath about when the replacement will come as sent mine in about the 25th november. They claim it arrived 15th December (indicating I suspect at least a weeks backlog just opening the packages) and has been sitting at the "Waiting replacement" stage since then.

Be careful when you open the package. Mine came in a grey plastic bag. Inside this was a padded envelope and a preprinted return grey plastic bag. Not knowing the return bag looked just like the bag it came in I managed to rip that open as well and had to mend it with duct tape before I could send it back.

This tip was handy,cheers,the packaging was the same as yours so i was careful when opening.

Did you place just the ipod itself in the bag....it does say that if you include wires etc they wont be returned.

I was going to send it back in its original packaging with headphones and stuff but it seem you just place it in the padded bag and in the grey one also.

This tip was handy,cheers,the packaging was the same as yours so i was careful when opening.

Did you place just the ipod itself in the bag....it does say that if you include wires etc they wont be returned.

I was going to send it back in its original packaging with headphones and stuff but it seem you just place it in the padded bag and in the grey one also.

I put just the ipod in the padded envelope and put this in the bag and it has been accepted okay.

In case people have not seen this..............

Good shout, the nano battery overheating issue may explain why my old nano screen looked like it was starting to melt inside! I'd have never know about this had you not posted, so cheers for doing so, just dug it out the drawer & completed the form.

Just had confirmation mine has been processed and checking the serial number they quote for the new one I am getting a new gen 6 nano.

According to tracking it should arrive today so will confirm model and capacity once it arrives.

Edited by pedg

• 3 weeks later...
Just checked their online thingy to see the status of mine, says:

20 January 2012: Product received

20 January 2012: Issue identified

20 January 2012: Product replacement pending

Same for me, although with 13th January. Not really expecting that to change for a few weeks yet, seems to take a couple of months to get a replacement.

When I took mine to the post office, the guy behind the counter said as soon as I passed it through, "is that an iPod you're sending back". He could tell just from the envelop & said he'd had loads passed through himself, so they must be getting a fair amount sent back across the country as a whole!

Mine was:

Sent by me on about the 25th November then...

Step 1 Request

December 15, 2011: Product received

Step 2 Service

December 15, 2011: Issue identified

Step 3 Return

January 10, 2012: Replacement Product Shipped

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had an email from apple yesterday saying it is being returned.....tracked it via UPS and the new one is at Eastleigh depot as of 4am and should arrive to me by the end of the day.

This all started around the first week in Jan,so i expected to hear from them soon.

On average,from the apple forum, it does take approx 8 weeks.

Finally turned up today. Box contains only the iPod, no cables, no headphones.

Anyway I now have a new silver 8GB new Nano so can't complain.

img20120112120346.jpg

Yep me too,arrived an hour ago.

All synced up and a nice piece of kit compared to what i sent them.

Very happy with that.

Cheers for the heads up on this.

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine delivered a couple of weeks ago, and had an 8 week turnaround. Cheers to the OP for the heads up!!!.

I've basically swapped and old 1st Gen Nano that was gathering dust at the back of a drawer, for a brand new 6th gen one, then flogged it the next day.

Result.