CORGI registered fitter

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I'm looking for a gas fitter to lock off and remove an old gas fire from my lounge as I want to open up the fireplace.

I live outside Winchester if anyone wants the job.

We had a CORGI fitter replace our gas boiler once.

He was smoking whilst he did it.

I pointed out that probably wasn't a good dea, what with the gas and all, so he stopped.

Made me question the value of the CORGI system really.

I would have never entrusted the sector to a dog in the first place.

I'm looking for a gas fitter to lock off and remove an old gas fire from my lounge as I want to open up the fireplace.

Can you not do it yourself?

Turn off gas at mains.

Cut pipe.

Put new end on pipe to stop gas coming out.

Turn gas back on.

Total saving about £250.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Can you not do it yourself?

Turn off gas at mains.

Cut pipe.

Put new end on pipe to stop gas coming out.

Turn gas back on.

Total saving about £250.

One problem, it will invalidate my home insurance if I do it.

You might find this document useful:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/explanatorybooklet.pdf

You need to scroll down a few pages, but it's quite clear there that you need either to get Building Control to look at the work if you do it yourself or you need to get a CORGI registered fitter to do the work for you. I think it's Part J of the Building Regulations.

As has been said earlier, if you do it yourself and it doesn't get Building Regs approval and it goes wrong, not only will your insurance be invalidated but you could be liable if you caused to damage to anyone else's property (due to explosion for example).

Emsley Plumbing & Heating. He's a good mate of mine.

01962 889200, if he doesnt answer his office phone PM me your number and I'll get him to call you.

He also lives in Winchester.

DSM you have a PM

Can't believe some of the drivel I'm reading with regards to gas work, no wonder Junction 9 stoped responding.

How is it drivel?

It's not that hard to cap the end of a pipe - I know, you have to be registered etc etc - but I fail to see how saying that capping a pipe is easy is drivel.

People manage to follow the exact same principles with water pipes almost every day, and not everyone floods their house!

How is it drivel?

It's not that hard to cap the end of a pipe - I know, you have to be registered etc etc - but I fail to see how saying that capping a pipe is easy is drivel.

People manage to follow the exact same principles with water pipes almost every day, and not everyone floods their house!

Ok I'm going to bite.

You stated in order to do the job you have to turn the gas off correct?

Well when you turn in back on it is mandatory to do a test for tightness on the installation every time. This is for a reason.

There are many old appliances still in houses that do not have flame failure devices and therefore by turning the gas off and then on again you MAY have no way that these are now safe. Old gas cookers, basket fires, wall heaters all fall into this category. Are you competent enough to check and relight these appliances? You may know what you have in your own house but I thought I would explain why it's not quite as simple as you are making out.

How is it drivel?

But if a water pipe leaks you get a drip of water, if a gas pipe leaks you get instant BBQ. Yes i know it's not that hard to cap a pipe but is it worth the risk?

Each to their own, some will risk it some wont, i dont. (I am also very lazy).

Col.